Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Kindle Formats

Notices

Old 12-19-2012, 06:27 AM   #1
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Question Old-style numerals/small caps support?

I embedded a subset font* with small caps and old style numerals in an ePub, which displayed fine in Sigil and ADE, but I when compiled it with the latest version of KindleGen, the embedded font seems to be ignored on my K3. (Turning Publisher Fonts on/off had no effect either.)

Is this yet another limitation of the KF8 firmware of my K3 or do eInk Kindles generally not support embedded fonts that replace small caps and/or (old-style) numerals?

[*] a subset font of AnPolt-Regular created with Font Squirrel. (Other subset fonts didn't work either.)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ADE.JPG
Views:	289
Size:	31.7 KB
ID:	97913   Click image for larger version

Name:	k3.JPG
Views:	297
Size:	39.5 KB
ID:	97914  
Attached Files
File Type: mobi sc_test.mobi (49.5 KB, 216 views)
File Type: epub sc_test.epub (13.1 KB, 223 views)
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 07:41 AM   #2
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Kindle Previewer shows the Paperwhite displaying the fonts correctly. Has your Kindle Keyboard actually updated to the KF8 firmware?

I note that your screen shot from Adobe Digital Editions shows that they're still not supporting the small-caps attribute, which is in the ePub 2.0 spec. Bad Adobe!
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 09:09 AM   #3
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Kindle Previewer shows the Paperwhite displaying the fonts correctly.
Unfortunately, KP is not always 100% accurate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Kindle Previewer shows the Paperwhite displaying the fonts correctly. Has your Kindle Keyboard actually updated to the KF8 firmware?
Yes it has and other embedded fonts, for example, dingbats that cover the Latin 1 range, definitely work on my K3.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	font.JPG
Views:	265
Size:	71.6 KB
ID:	97930  
Attached Files
File Type: epub font.epub (27.1 KB, 197 views)
File Type: mobi font.mobi (77.7 KB, 182 views)
Old 12-19-2012, 02:35 PM   #4
William Ockham
Enthusiast
William Ockham can illuminate an eclipseWilliam Ockham can illuminate an eclipseWilliam Ockham can illuminate an eclipseWilliam Ockham can illuminate an eclipseWilliam Ockham can illuminate an eclipseWilliam Ockham can illuminate an eclipseWilliam Ockham can illuminate an eclipseWilliam Ockham can illuminate an eclipseWilliam Ockham can illuminate an eclipseWilliam Ockham can illuminate an eclipseWilliam Ockham can illuminate an eclipse

Device: Kindle Keyboard
It works on my machine...

Oops, it doesn't work. I misread your original email...

This file worked well on my Kindle Keyboard 3G (see the attached screenshot).

Your test file even came up with publisher fonts "on", which I haven't been able to do reliably.

How did you get the file on to your Kindle?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	screen_shot-13145.gif
Views:	303
Size:	12.0 KB
ID:	97942  
William Ockham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 04:24 PM   #5
William Ockham
Enthusiast
William Ockham can illuminate an eclipseWilliam Ockham can illuminate an eclipseWilliam Ockham can illuminate an eclipseWilliam Ockham can illuminate an eclipseWilliam Ockham can illuminate an eclipseWilliam Ockham can illuminate an eclipseWilliam Ockham can illuminate an eclipseWilliam Ockham can illuminate an eclipseWilliam Ockham can illuminate an eclipseWilliam Ockham can illuminate an eclipseWilliam Ockham can illuminate an eclipse

Device: Kindle Keyboard
Ok, this one has me stumped. I deconstructed and recompiled the epub, then regenerated the .mobi file several times.

The stylesheet is done correctly. The font file is there. It has all the glyphs needed. I even changed the embedding rights to 0 (all) just to make sure that wasn't the issue (I don't think the Kindle pays attention to the font licensing bits in a font file, but I wanted to be sure).

The stylesheet is being processed (because the small caps attribute is actually working, even if the font isn't). I wonder if there is something about the process used for subsetting that is making the Kindle software reject the font. I've used subsetted fonts before and they've worked.
William Ockham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 12:00 PM   #6
dgatwood
Curmudgeon
dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, iPhone, Nook Simple Touch
You may be making it mad by specifying a font variant with a font that does not contain an actual smallcaps OpenType feature. Try taking that out of the CSS and just specify the font itself. Worth a shot, anyway.
dgatwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 06:11 AM   #7
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgatwood View Post
You may be making it mad by specifying a font variant with a font that does not contain an actual smallcaps OpenType feature. Try taking that out of the CSS and just specify the font itself. Worth a shot, anyway.
Please, how did you send the MOBI to your Kindle, precisely? The sideloading--exactly how did you do it?

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 07:58 PM   #8
dgatwood
Curmudgeon
dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Or specify font-variant: small-caps; in the @font declaration if you aren't already.
Old 12-29-2012, 08:05 PM   #9
dgatwood
Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
Please, how did you send the MOBI to your Kindle, precisely? The sideloading--exactly how did you do it?

Hitch
For most Kindles, you just plug it into a computer and drag the file into the correct directory, e.g.

http://www.iuniverse.com/FAQs/Sidelo...ndle-Fire.aspx

http://dearauthor.com/ebooks/dear-ja...to-the-kindle/

Or are you saying that some methods result in misbehavior?
Old 12-29-2012, 08:18 PM   #10
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
For most Kindles, you just plug it into a computer and drag the file into the correct directory, e.g.

http://www.iuniverse.com/FAQs/Sidelo...ndle-Fire.aspx

http://dearauthor.com/ebooks/dear-ja...to-the-kindle/

Or are you saying that some methods result in misbehavior?
I'm saying that "sideloading" a K8 file via emailing it to your Kindle address, or by using the "so-called" wifi transfer option available in the Explorer Window (send by wifi to Kindle), which is actually the emailing option, converts a K8 book using the Document Service, which produces a K7 book. Thus, if you had styling in CSS, you'd get an old-style MOBI, not a new-style MOBI.

This means that any font you embedded, won't be. Ergo, no font-variant, as there is no font.

That's why I was asking.

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 06:10 AM   #11
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
I had another look at the file and found out that you were absolutely right on the money. Subsetting the font with FontSquirrel must have removed the smallcaps OpenType feature, essentially converting it to regular font with small caps and old style numerals glyphs.

After removing font-variant: small-caps; from the font declaration and the small caps style everything worked as it should.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	screenshot.JPG
Views:	258
Size:	40.4 KB
ID:	98522  
Attached Files
File Type: mobi sc_test_fixed.mobi (49.5 KB, 159 views)
File Type: epub sc_test_fixed.epub (13.1 KB, 222 views)