Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 11-07-2012, 11:07 AM   #61
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by holymadness View Post
RE: the open vs. closed debate, you can always jailbreak and have the best of both worlds.
No, you cannot since it is the data formats that are closed that are the biggest problem.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 11:32 AM   #62
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:
Originally Posted by murraypaul View Post
As the only tablet you can't read Kindle books on?
The only one you can't use Zinio to read magazines on? Use PressDisplay to read newspapers on? (Unless that has changed recently)
It is locked out of a huge amount of reading content.
A walled garden far beyond the height of anything Apple sell.
Given that ADB is enabled on these tablets, you can sideload Kindle app and any other app you wish.
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 08:11 AM   #63
shalym
Wizard
shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW 1, 2, 3, Voyage, Oasis 2 & 3, Fires, Aura HD, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by afv011 View Post
Given that ADB is enabled on these tablets, you can sideload Kindle app and any other app you wish.
But...if it can only be done using ADB, it's useless to the average consumer. On my Fire, I can check a little box to allow apps from other stores, and sideload the getjar store, which then allows me to sideload many other apps seamlessly. I did this for my fiance and my nephew, and both are happily downloading apps that aren't on the official Amazon app store. No Root or ADB or developer skills required. So yes, Amazon doesn't put other app stores on their devices by default, but they don't restrict their use in any way. Barnes and Noble restricts sideloading to the 1% (if that) that is capable of installing and using ADB.

Shari
shalym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 10:01 AM   #64
robertc88
Fanatic
robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Average Joe (majority) buying the nooks aren't looking to sideload.

Right now, they are the best tablets out there for the buck. For the larger form factor, that may change on November 20th.

Last edited by robertc88; 11-08-2012 at 10:03 AM.
robertc88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 12:58 PM   #65
Prestidigitweeze
Fledgling Demagogue
Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Oasis 2; Aura HD; iPad Air; PRS-350; Galaxy S7.
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertc88 View Post
Average Joe (majority) buying the nooks aren't looking to sideload.
Or perhaps we're underestimating the wishes and determination of a lot of people who buy stock tablets and want them to do more.

Loud consumers who don't know what they're doing are the first ones you hear, but that doesn't necessarily mean they represent every significant demographic of a device's user base no matter how locked down that specific device might seem.
Prestidigitweeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 03:11 PM   #66
pl001
Evangelist
pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Nook Color, EVO3D, Surface RT, Galaxy S5, Surface 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prestidigitweeze View Post
Or perhaps we're underestimating the wishes and determination of a lot of people who buy stock tablets and want them to do more.

Loud consumers who don't know what they're doing are the first ones you hear, but that doesn't necessarily mean they represent every significant demographic of a device's user base no matter how locked down that specific device might seem.
I don't know, you could probably say that about the original Nook Color because it was generally regarded as the best tablet you could buy for the money. I don't think anybody else came all that close with hardware at the time.

Today there is so much quality competition I don't think there's nearly as much incentive to buy a Nook and then root it. I'm sure some people will, but I doubt it's a large part of their market.

Last edited by pl001; 11-08-2012 at 03:13 PM.
pl001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 08:20 AM   #67
Prestidigitweeze
Fledgling Demagogue
Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pl001 View Post
Today there is so much quality competition I don't think there's nearly as much incentive to buy a Nook and then root it. I'm sure some people will, but I doubt it's a large part of their market.
I think there's incentive every time a user becomes as frustrated by the limitations of a device as they were originally attracted to the functionality, design and cost. I don't view consumers as static or stratified by intelligence according to a strict hierarchy of choices.

We all change our minds about the worth of our relative purchases. The device we've bought isn't confined to being the same device we were sold -- even if, at the time of purchase, we assumed we'd never bother to customize the experience it offered.

Last edited by Prestidigitweeze; 11-09-2012 at 08:45 AM.
Old 11-09-2012, 08:41 AM   #68
Prestidigitweeze
Fledgling Demagogue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fluribus View Post
Embrace chaos. If this were a board dedicated to symbolic logic, you would still find illogical people. People are illogical. That cannot be changed. It is illogical to try to change that which cannot be changed. Of course, people are illogical.
The problem isn't the absence of order, nor that people are illogical. The problem is when people harass, insult or demean total strangers using arbitrary reasons like brand names as an excuse.

One can't impose arbitrary ideas of kindness on the entire world, but on a forum like this, one can reasonably expect that the rancor created by brand wars can be faced and addressed logically, and that a wider perspective might prevail in the abstract if not always in real life.

It's exhilarating to be able to log onto MR and converse with readers from Germany, Sweden, Beijing, Australia and the UK. Why weigh the discourse down with pettiness over gadget fealty?

Last edited by Prestidigitweeze; 11-09-2012 at 03:39 PM.
Old 11-09-2012, 10:42 AM   #69
robertc88
Fanatic
robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
When a device cannot do more than it's stock capability that I want after I've outgrown it so to speak, I buy something else IF I cannot live without those features.

It isn't that expensive to do it for me personally. Best Buy understands how quickly devices can become outdated so they offer insurance so to speak. Pay a fee when you brought it gives optimal trade in value.

The majority of nook and kindle fire owners don't root or sideload. Heck, they do not even know that capability exists.

Last edited by robertc88; 11-09-2012 at 10:51 AM.
robertc88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 12:12 PM   #70
Fluribus
Guru
Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prestidigitweeze View Post
The problem isn't the absence of order, nor that people are illogical. The problem is when people harass, insult or demean total strangers using arbitrary reasons like brand names as an excuse.

One can't impose arbitrary ideas of kindness on the entire world, but on a forum like this, one can reasonably expect that rancor the created by brand wars can be faced and addressed logically, and that a wider perspective might prevail in the abstract if not always in real life.

It's exhilarating to be able to log onto MR and converse with readers from Germany, Sweden, Beijing, Australia and the UK. Why weigh the discourse down with pettiness over gadget fealty?
I dislike the pummeling. Attempting to combat it, however, tends to result in escalation. I am an internet pacifist. What good is it to fight on the internet if you can't maim people.
Fluribus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 12:36 PM   #71
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
I love the regular iPad's virtual keyboard, but find the one on the original 7" Fire (the only Fire with which I have any hands-on experience) to be rather more constraining. Here's a question for those of you who have used both iPads and the new iPad Mini (and perhaps the first generation Kindle Fire as well): How does the virtual keyboard on the Mini compare to the one on the full-size iPad? Is it as easy to use, or more cumbersome
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 06:03 PM   #72
Prestidigitweeze
Fledgling Demagogue

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertc88 View Post
When a device cannot do more than it's stock capability that I want after I've outgrown it so to speak, I buy something else IF I cannot live without those features. It isn't that expensive to do it for me personally.
It sounds as though you and I have different spending priorities. I'm only now replacing the main laptop I've owned for the past five years and I probably won't replace my NC-10 netbook for at least another two.

I also think it's fun to make devices do things for which they weren't intended. My Kindle 3 is probably the only device I've ever owned and kept stock, and in the end I had to jailbreak that for fun as well.

And why own a PC without experiencing the fun of dual-booting into Linux? The desktop is so much quieter and conducive to writing than anyone else's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fluribus View Post
What good is it to fight on the internet if you can't maim people.
That's a fun and ridiculous idea which I sometimes explore with friends. What good is sex if you can't kill your beloved at the moment of bliss?

Unfortunately, I can't answer WT Sharpe's question, though I wish I could. Can anyone else?

If not, WT, I'll visit one of Apple's four stores in New York City, test them both for an hour and give you an answer at some point next week.

Last edited by Prestidigitweeze; 11-09-2012 at 06:11 PM.
Old 11-09-2012, 06:19 PM   #73
Synamon
Lunatic
Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite and Keyboard, Kobo Aura, iPad mini, iPod Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
I love the regular iPad's virtual keyboard, but find the one on the original 7" Fire (the only Fire with which I have any hands-on experience) to be rather more constraining. Here's a question for those of you who have used both iPads and the new iPad Mini (and perhaps the first generation Kindle Fire as well): How does the virtual keyboard on the Mini compare to the one on the full-size iPad? Is it as easy to use, or more cumbersome
Typing is a different experience for me on the two iPads. In landscape I can touch type on the full sized iPad and I'm forced to hunt and peck in portrait. On the mini I two thumb type just fine in either orientation, but find landscape easier and more accurate. I also quite like the dictation option on both iPads and find it works very well. (last sentence "typed" with dictation)

Disclaimer: I wear small men's gloves and someone with very large hands would probably struggle with the mini's keyboard in portrait mode.
Synamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 06:25 PM   #74
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synamon View Post
Typing is a different experience for me on the two iPads. In landscape I can touch type on the full sized iPad and I'm forced to hunt and peck in portrait. On the mini I two thumb type just fine in either orientation, but find landscape easier and more accurate. I also quite like the dictation option on both iPads and find it works very well. (last sentence "typed" with dictation)

Disclaimer: I wear small men's gloves and someone with very large hands would probably struggle with the mini's keyboard in portrait mode.
I have rather large hands, but find typing in portrait mode on the original iPad quite satisfying, so perhaps typing, at least in landscape mode, wouldn't be so bad on the Mini. Then again, I'm not a touch typist. Maybe I'll just have to drag my butt over to the Apple store and try it for myself.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 06:57 PM   #75
Synamon
Lunatic
Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite and Keyboard, Kobo Aura, iPad mini, iPod Touch
The keyboard on the mini in landscape mode is practically identical to the iPad in portrait, so I expect you'd have no issues.
Synamon is offline   Reply With Quote