Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 01-26-2011, 04:20 PM   #1
rmrm300
rmrm300 began at the beginning.

Device: DR1000S
Another sell estimation

Hi everybody,

I have a DR1000S with a professional stylus (besides the original one) and without any defects to sell.

Do you guys have any idea about the value of the product?

Thanks in advance
rmrm300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 04:53 AM   #2
lastgasp
lastgasp began at the beginning.

Device: iRex DR1000 Hanvon N516 Bebook NEO
about $241 at www.gazelle.com.... maybe more if you take payment as a gift card from amazon. the professional stylus can be sold on ebay for no more than $20. the stylus is penable so if you ever plan to get a tabletpc you could just keep it.
haven't been to mobileread since damn ipad killed the whole eink thing. too bad irex dr was a dud. I pre-ordered Kno tablet because I'm a glutton for punishment.
lastgasp is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-31-2011, 06:36 PM   #3
rmrm300

Damn.... I was afraid of that.
Well, I guess I have to start using the reader

Nevertheless, ebay is always an option

Thanks for your answer
Old 02-01-2011, 02:08 AM   #4
Mackx
Guru
Mackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to behold

Device: iRex DR1000S
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmrm300 View Post
Well, I guess I have to start using the reader
Don't be ashamed, there are more people out here using the DR ....

What is keeping you from using it (if I may ask)?
Mackx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 02:10 PM   #5
rmrm300

Well, I bought the device for my PhD to read scientific books and/or papers.
But due to its size I'm always afraid to break it and as such I never bring it with me.

Another reason is the delay in changing pages. When you have to read scientific papers, trying to figure what they're talking about and you have to keep jumping between pages, well..... It just pulls out my nerves
Advert
Old 02-01-2011, 04:19 PM   #6
Mackx
Guru
Mackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmrm300 View Post
Another reason is the delay in changing pages. When you have to read scientific papers, trying to figure what they're talking about and you have to keep jumping between pages, well..... It just pulls out my nerves
Yes, I also recognise this. You would want to have some kind of control over the rendered page cache and a way to quickly change between them. Unfortunately the native DR-(pdf-)reader (UDS) is not open source, so the behaviour can not be changed. Maybe Xournal can be changed, but it is using an old poppler-library version to do pdf rendering which does not work well for all documents.
Old 02-01-2011, 05:19 PM   #7
rmrm300

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackx View Post
Maybe Xournal can be changed, but it is using an old poppler-library version to do pdf rendering which does not work well for all documents.
Well, let's see what is being developed

Thanks for your help
Old 02-02-2011, 08:20 AM   #8
tjdean256
Zealot
tjdean256 is on a distinguished road

Device: irex dr1000s; Pocket edge
Continuous page mode is an adequate solution for me.
tjdean256 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 10:22 AM   #9
rvs
Groupie
rvs has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rvs has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rvs has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rvs has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: DR1000s, Hanlin V5
If you decide to stick with the DR, you could try using the latest beta firmware (2.0RC3) if you haven't already. It's faster with pdf's than the old 1.7 firmware.
rvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 01:36 PM   #10
Mackx
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjdean256 View Post
Continuous page mode is an adequate solution for me.
I thought the problem was more of having a table/figure on one page and a descriptive text on another page. When you are progressing in the text you want to have a frequent view on the table/figure. Switching between them is not that easy, specially if there are several pages between them.
But I might not have understood the problem correct.
Old 02-03-2011, 02:26 PM   #11
rmrm300

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackx View Post
I thought the problem was more of having a table/figure on one page and a descriptive text on another page. When you are progressing in the text you want to have a frequent view on the table/figure. Switching between them is not that easy, specially if there are several pages between them.
But I might not have understood the problem correct.
Mackx is right... When reading scientific papers and/or books you quite often need to check either tables or graphs or even schemes. Its this constant switching between pages that really stresses me out.
Old 02-03-2011, 03:10 PM   #12
rvs
Groupie
rvs has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rvs has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rvs has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rvs has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: DR1000s, Hanlin V5
It's a significant drawback of any e-ink device. I don't think the DR is especially slow compared to other e-ink devices.

The Entourage Edge would be ideal for this sort of thing (at least on paper). It has a dual e-ink / lcd screen.
rvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 04:25 PM   #13
rmrm300

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvs View Post
It's a significant drawback of any e-ink device. I don't think the DR is especially slow compared to other e-ink devices.

The Entourage Edge would be ideal for this sort of thing (at least on paper). It has a dual e-ink / lcd screen.
Yep.. I agree with that.
Old 02-03-2011, 04:25 PM   #14
rmrm300

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvs View Post
If you decide to stick with the DR, you could try using the latest beta firmware (2.0RC3) if you haven't already. It's faster with pdf's than the old 1.7 firmware.
Already done that
Old 02-04-2011, 08:01 AM   #15
tjdean256
Zealot
tjdean256 is on a distinguished road

Device: irex dr1000s; Pocket edge
To me that is an inherent problem with scientific literature that will never be completely solved with an electronic device because will all read them differently. I constantly go back and forth between the text and the literature cited. I use a bookmark and jump to previous that is not perfect. I think some strategy on the part of the user must be employed to over come these limitations. A paper copy can be spread all over the desk (convenient but not without its problems). Since DR1000 has 4 windows, you could make alternate copies and open in different windows - going back and forth would be nearly instantaneous. I do something like that when I review ms for journals.

The Entourage Edge has a TOC feature for marked up PDFs (scribbles and highlights). While it is newer and maybe faster (I'm not convinced). It does have some limitations, users of the DR may not be happy with. For instance, once a PDF is annotated the ability to zoom is lost. No landscape mode on the e-ink side.You can save as a PDF, but the scribbles can't be converted to a IRX file for handwriting recognition. And no SDK.

td
tjdean256 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dr1000, irex, sell