Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 10-08-2012, 02:00 AM   #61
tuxor
Addict
tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!

Device: Onyx Boox M92, Icarus Illumina E653
@Gagarin Gambit:
Why not buy a Kindle Touch in a European amazon store like amazon.de/fr/co.uk? No additional tax inside the EU...
tuxor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 04:53 AM   #62
myself11
Enthusiast
myself11 began at the beginning.

Device: Nook ST + Kindle PW2
Those amazon stores won't send kindle to other European countries, unfortunately.
myself11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 09:01 PM   #63
Dulin's Books
Wizard
Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox PB360 etc etc etc
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Is there any way to get an i62HD in the US from a dealer in the US?
no. the only reputable dealer in the US that I would recommend http://www.pocketbookreader.com/ does not have it. Without a new distributor in the US its mostly a dead end
Dulin's Books is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 09:04 PM   #64
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dulin's Books View Post
no. the only reputable dealer in the US that I would recommend http://www.pocketbookreader.com/ does not have it. Without a new distributor in the US its mostly a dead end
Too bad. I might have considered getting one. But, I won't pay 200 euros for one.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 06:01 AM   #65
Booxtor
Booxtor
Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: a lot of..
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Too bad. I might have considered getting one. But, I won't pay 200 euros for one.
170€ actually, if you visit "currently under construction" onyx-boox.us website and read carefully the bottom line
Booxtor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 06:43 AM   #66
GGMerlin
GGMerlin began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle touch
Onyx M92

Booxtor,

I have been following the thread for quite a time now. I am a pdf reader. Just reader, no work, no multi tasking, just a lot of PDF to read for hours at a time. And I am confused. I was thinking about buyind an Amazon DX with a price point of ca. 250€. I undertsnad the limits of the stuff. Then I bumped into the Pocket Book and the ICARUS and then the M92. It seems to me that all these products are produced somewhere in China with a Chinese type of quality control, then you have reseller, somme good, some less good, some rebranding (ICARUS, IBS.It) with price all over the place, proprietary firmware or not, reguler update or not.

I am loathe to spending that much money and the depend on the goodwill of a good man who can be here one days and gone the other specifically when it seems that the product is not quite mature and improving all the time thanks to the effort of resellers and not the original company.

I have almost made up my mind that if I buy one M92, it will be from you, but to be quite honest I think I will hold on for a while.

NB: Why is there such a price delta between you PB 912 and the IBS.it PB912?
GGMerlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 09:12 AM   #67
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Booxtor View Post
170€ actually, if you visit "currently under construction" onyx-boox.us website and read carefully the bottom line
Does the 170€ include VAT which we don't pay in the US?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 06:02 AM   #68
fraylocus
Groupie
fraylocus knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'fraylocus knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'fraylocus knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'fraylocus knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'fraylocus knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'fraylocus knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'fraylocus knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'fraylocus knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'fraylocus knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'fraylocus knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'fraylocus knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: Onyx Boox M92, Onyx Boox T68
Would be nice to take this technology Firefly: http://blog.the-ebook-reader.com/201...-e-ink-videos/
HSIS technology (High Speed Ink System) for faster scrolling and refreshing.
fraylocus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 01:46 PM   #69
Illudrium
Illudrium began at the beginning.

Device: none
So do you think this iteration of the i62 has been well developed or will they come out with another one advertising a couple of updates in just a few months?
Illudrium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 03:00 PM   #70
ereaderundecided
Connoisseur
ereaderundecided began at the beginning.

http://cme.at/e-book-reader/onyx-boo...handson-video/

LOL, just what I mentioned in my previous post:

"Es stellt sich allerdings die Frage, ob es nicht klüger wäre den zusätzlichen Lieferumfang optional wegzulassen, damit das Gerät preislich einigermaßen konkurrenzfähig wird."

Which translates to: "It would be smarter exclude all the included accessories to make the device some what competitive."

Last edited by ereaderundecided; 10-13-2012 at 03:12 PM.
ereaderundecided is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 10:27 AM   #71
Booxtor
Booxtor
Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: a lot of..
Quote:
Originally Posted by ereaderundecided View Post
http://cme.at/e-book-reader/onyx-boo...handson-video/

LOL, just what I mentioned in my previous post:

"Es stellt sich allerdings die Frage, ob es nicht klüger wäre den zusätzlichen Lieferumfang optional wegzulassen, damit das Gerät preislich einigermaßen konkurrenzfähig wird."

Which translates to: "It would be smarter exclude all the included accessories to make the device some what competitive."
We tried to sell naked devices - less than 1% chooses them. The rest prefer whole equipment (even if the price doesn't look competitive). The way to split the scope of delivery purposely, just to be equal with competitors, is not really usere friendly. I would never suggest to buy ereader without cover. Two years ago I bought a Sony PRS650 (without WiFi) for 229€ and they offered covers separately for 69€, but I did not heard a lot of complains the price was too high - in opposite Sony had got problems to satisfy the demand.

Politics of satisfying of bargain hunting people is just bad. Following this politics how can we develop something special, offer good support if we permanently have to slash our staff, lower the quality etc..
We know we cannot compete with content selling companies w.r.t. their prices for hardware. But I don't think Amazon will keep developing of a proper reading device for professionals, students, engineers since they are reading mostly different stuff as Amazons target customers. We hope to do that eventually.
Booxtor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 12:26 PM   #72
myself11
Enthusiast
myself11 began at the beginning.

Device: Nook ST + Kindle PW2
Any news on Android 2.3 on Firefly?
myself11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 01:25 PM   #73
ereaderundecided
Connoisseur
ereaderundecided began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booxtor View Post
We tried to sell naked devices - less than 1% chooses them. The rest prefer whole equipment (even if the price doesn't look competitive). The way to split the scope of delivery purposely, just to be equal with competitors, is not really usere friendly. I would never suggest to buy ereader without cover. Two years ago I bought a Sony PRS650 (without WiFi) for 229€ and they offered covers separately for 69€, but I did not heard a lot of complains the price was too high - in opposite Sony had got problems to satisfy the demand.

Politics of satisfying of bargain hunting people is just bad. Following this politics how can we develop something special, offer good support if we permanently have to slash our staff, lower the quality etc..
We know we cannot compete with content selling companies w.r.t. their prices for hardware. But I don't think Amazon will keep developing of a proper reading device for professionals, students, engineers since they are reading mostly different stuff as Amazons target customers. We hope to do that eventually.
I'm not referring to "bargain hunting people" neither is the article. It just states that it the device needs to stay competitive. Sure you can't compete with the Kindle as Amazon is losing approx. 10 USD on every device, but 200 EUR! That's insane...Now, I believe in a free market and that you should have every right to sell you product at any price you want, but I and other don't think it's really that compelling of an offer.
ereaderundecided is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 01:12 AM   #74
Hrafn
Fanatic
Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox Poke 5, Samsung Galaxy Tab S5e 10.5
Quote:
Originally Posted by ereaderundecided View Post
Sure you can't compete with the Kindle as Amazon is losing approx. 10 USD on every device, but 200 EUR! That's insane...
Insane? Yes and no. The European market for eReaders seems to have been decoupled from the US/international market for some time. I noticed this when I bought my first eReader (a Pocketbook 360) a couple of years ago. Although most of the online retailers were European, by far the cheapest was American (though I think PB have since withdrawn from the American market).

I had the same experience with my i62HD -- buying it direct from China was considerably cheaper than any of the European retailers.

I don't know what source this apparent pervasive price differential arises from (tax, regulatory costs, differentiated distributor pricing, etc?), nor whether it will survive the entry of the larger loss-leading/eBook-retailer-attached players into the European market (nor whether its demise will likewise lead to the demise of independent eReader brands). I do know that it's currently a fact of life.

I think in this case there is a degree of truth in the old cliche: "don't blame the player, blame the game".

Another aspect is that not only are "Amazon ... losing approx. 10 USD on every device", but they're doing so after economies of scale likely to be far better than any independent brand (with far smaller volumes) can hope to achieve. The non-monetary benefits of moving outside the monoculture comes at a monetary price.
Hrafn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 02:40 AM   #75
Lespaul
Enthusiast
Lespaul is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Lespaul is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Lespaul is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Lespaul is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Lespaul is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Lespaul is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Lespaul is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Lespaul is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Lespaul is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Lespaul is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Lespaul is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: Onyx Boox M92
well for me a higher price is ok, as far as it is reflected in better features such as an "open system" expandable storage and the fact that i'm not bound to some kind of big market and can read all the files i want to no matter from where they are.
I think it is great that there are companies who build products that not match the standard customer wich only wants to read prosa.
I'm almost a M.D. and the benefit from a device like M92 is so great. Give me nice colours and i'll pay a higher price. some wise guy said once: "don't try to save money on important tools"
In my case the reader becomes more and more a necessary tool.
Lespaul is offline   Reply With Quote