Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 11-21-2010, 09:35 AM   #1
goaspy
Connoisseur
goaspy can eat soup with a fork.goaspy can eat soup with a fork.goaspy can eat soup with a fork.goaspy can eat soup with a fork.goaspy can eat soup with a fork.goaspy can eat soup with a fork.goaspy can eat soup with a fork.goaspy can eat soup with a fork.goaspy can eat soup with a fork.goaspy can eat soup with a fork.goaspy can eat soup with a fork.

Device: Sony PRS-650, Kindle 3
Lightbulb Small Tool to change book order (PRS-x50)

I've made a small tool to change the modified date on books on my PRS-650, so that I can choose the three books that are displayed on the home screen.

It helped me, so maybe it will help others, and it works on all x50 models and the 900.

Quote:
With OrderBooks you can set your favourites on the Home Screen.

Screenshot - Mac version

Screenshot - Windows version

Current version:
- Mac 0.3.0 added 15-Jan-2010
- Windows 0.3.1 added 16-Jan-2010

User Guide:

1. Connect reader.
2. Start the application.

3. Update Books Path:
- in Windows version: set the Reader/Card drive letter. (first time only)
- in Mac version: set the Reader/Card volume name. (default is READER/CARD)

4. Press 'Fetch Books'.

5. In the 'Position' column write numbers starting from 1. I usually stop at 3, it's enough for Home screen.

6. Press 'Change Order'.
7. Disconnect reader (safe remove from windows/calibre/reader library)

Obs:

1. books can be displayed from Card, Reader, Reader + Card;

2. If the 'Future Dates' option is used, the date for the selected book will be set 2 years into the future. This way the book/books will remain on Home Screen even if you add new books to the reader.
Reseting future books is easy, just set a new position for the target book and 'Change Order' with 'Future Dates' deselected.

3. The Windows version works on Linux using Mono runtime and libraries.

Known issues:

If you use the 'author sort' feature from Calibre to change the author's name on the reader, from (fn ln) to (ln, fn), after you use OrderBooks to change the date of a book, the author resets to (fn ln).
The workaround for this problem is to trigger a metadata refresh in Calibre after using OrderBooks.

Enjoy!
Attached Files
File Type: zip OrderBooks for Mac v0.3.zip (46.4 KB, 896 views)
File Type: zip OrderBooks for Windows v0.3.1.zip (15.7 KB, 1300 views)
File Type: zip OrderBooks for Windows v0.4 BETA.zip (265.3 KB, 1150 views)

Last edited by goaspy; 02-13-2011 at 04:04 PM. Reason: Released Beta Version
goaspy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 10:57 AM   #2
goaspy
Connoisseur
goaspy can eat soup with a fork.goaspy can eat soup with a fork.goaspy can eat soup with a fork.goaspy can eat soup with a fork.goaspy can eat soup with a fork.goaspy can eat soup with a fork.goaspy can eat soup with a fork.goaspy can eat soup with a fork.goaspy can eat soup with a fork.goaspy can eat soup with a fork.goaspy can eat soup with a fork.

deleted

Last edited by goaspy; 01-15-2011 at 05:31 PM.
Old 11-22-2010, 11:09 AM   #3
SeaBookGuy
Can one read too much?
SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 3, Sony 350 and 650
I would find this useful, but I don't understand your instructions about "updating ..." and "fetching" books?

I'd like to see a way to return books that I've accidentally opened returned to "New" status, without having to delete and reload them.
SeaBookGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 02:49 PM   #4
goaspy
Connoisseur

'Fetch Books' is just the name of the button, and it will get the list of books on your reader, if the path (default value i:\database\media\books) points to your reader. You may have to replace "i:" with another drive letter.
Old 11-22-2010, 03:04 PM   #5
edbro
Banned
edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: iPad4
Sounds useful. Does this conflict with Calibre in any way?
edbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 03:10 PM   #6
goaspy
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by edbro View Post
Sounds useful. Does this conflict with Calibre in any way?
I don't think so, Calibre displays the Created date/time anyway and I only update de Modified date/time.

PS: The order is preserved only until new books are added.

Last edited by goaspy; 11-22-2010 at 03:12 PM.
Old 11-24-2010, 09:07 AM   #7
trekchick
Lurker
trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.

Device: Sonys and Kindles and Nooks, oh my!
This is nice. Sometimes, the newest three books are the absolute last thing I want staring back at me from the front page.
trekchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 08:00 AM   #8
Gadget_girl
Connoisseur
Gadget_girl holds these truths to be self-evident.Gadget_girl holds these truths to be self-evident.Gadget_girl holds these truths to be self-evident.Gadget_girl holds these truths to be self-evident.Gadget_girl holds these truths to be self-evident.Gadget_girl holds these truths to be self-evident.Gadget_girl holds these truths to be self-evident.Gadget_girl holds these truths to be self-evident.Gadget_girl holds these truths to be self-evident.Gadget_girl holds these truths to be self-evident.Gadget_girl holds these truths to be self-evident.

Device: Aura HD Espresso, Sony PRS-650
Thanks a bunch for making this. It was exactly what I wanted. I needed to put the next few books I wanted to read on my home screen. They kept getting lost in the list on my reader.
Gadget_girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 02:36 AM   #9
doreenjoy
01000100 01001010
doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Polyamorous
Thanks!

I like to keep the "next three books I intend to read" in those 3 spots on the home screen.
doreenjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 12:20 PM   #10
grooks
Wizard
grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Sony PRS-650, Galaxy Nexus, Nexus 7
As I typically read 2-3 books at a time so it is helpful to have those 2-3 books on the home screen.
grooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 01:14 PM   #11
SeaBookGuy
Can one read too much?
SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I hadn't realized until I re-read this that it could be used to put books that have been newly added near the back as well, without having to reload all of the books from scratch?

That would be more useful for me.
Old 12-24-2010, 07:41 PM   #12
doreenjoy
01000100 01001010
doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Polyamorous
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaBookGuy View Post
I hadn't realized until I re-read this that it could be used to put books that have been newly added near the back as well, without having to reload all of the books from scratch?

That would be more useful for me.
Yes, you can use large numbers to order books toward the back.

Very handy for those who prefer to scroll through the Books by Date Added list.
doreenjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 09:04 PM   #13
DuskyRose
Guru
DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Palma, Kdle Scribe & Paperwhite, Kobo Eclipsa 2e & Libra 2, Ipads
Very nice! Thanks!

I just wish there was a way to keep the three I've got up all the time, even though I'm constantly adding new books. When I'm out and about, I'm interrupted a lot by people who are curious about the Sony. I don't mind showing it off, but I'm usually reading pretty adult material, and need some 'safe' books to run to quickly. ; )

I like to use Sherlock Holmes for demonstrations, but they can take a minute or two to pull up. It'd be great if I could find a way to keep them up front and ready all the time.
DuskyRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 09:26 PM   #14
SeaBookGuy
Can one read too much?

I've never been asked once about mine -- I wish folks would do so occasionally, let alone the wildly curious multitudes you encounter!

You might consider rapidly switching to a collection containing only the Holmes demo book?
Old 01-02-2011, 09:35 PM   #15
Under the Covers
Night Reader
Under the Covers has a spectacular aura aboutUnder the Covers has a spectacular aura aboutUnder the Covers has a spectacular aura aboutUnder the Covers has a spectacular aura aboutUnder the Covers has a spectacular aura aboutUnder the Covers has a spectacular aura aboutUnder the Covers has a spectacular aura aboutUnder the Covers has a spectacular aura aboutUnder the Covers has a spectacular aura aboutUnder the Covers has a spectacular aura aboutUnder the Covers has a spectacular aura about

Device: Sony PRS-650
Thumbs up

Lovely! Now I have only the books I want in my home screen. Thank you for offering it for the rest of us who don't do programming!
Under the Covers is offline   Reply With Quote