Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 09-02-2009, 01:27 PM   #1
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
iPhone readers QUADRUPLED from April to July

Flurry saw a 300% increase in the number of people reading on their iPhone/iTouch. They recorded, by the end of July, nearly 3 million users. They also reported that ebooks by themselves have a 14% share in the App Store, second only Games (19%). I guess this means that the Ithing really is the biggest reader.

Read more

Last edited by Nate the great; 09-02-2009 at 02:51 PM.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 02:30 PM   #2
Scarpad
Addict
Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

reading on the Iphone or in my case the Ipod Touch is ok. Comparable to what I used to do on my Dell 51v. But it's no comparision to e-ink. what it does mean is that people would rather carry a convergence device, a phone, rather than a seperate reader.
Scarpad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 02:31 PM   #3
AMacD
Al
AMacD doesn't litterAMacD doesn't litter

Location: Bardstown, KY as home base, but RV following the seasons.
Device: Kindle1 and Kindle2 and Palm T|X
Number of e-reader app downloads doesn't equate to number of books sold for those free apps. For example, lots of people will download both Stanza and the Amazon Kindle app. A lot of those will try out a free book to see how they like the experience. Some of those will never go any farther, some will actually delete the apps. Some unknown percentage will become e-book readers. I started on a Palm Pilot with a free app and have never looked back. I am on my second Kindle and as soon as the iPod Touch gets a camera I will upgrade my Palm to that as well.
AMacD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 02:31 PM   #4
ProDigit
Karmaniac
ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, Jetbook, + Mini, +Color, Astak Ez Reader Pro, PPW1, Aura H2O
I think it's going to rise some more, stay reasonable stable, and then slowly falling...
There are a lot of people wanting to learn about ebooks because it is new, and once they bought the device and get over the honeymoon, will stop buying books.

I also think books will lower even more in price, and at this rate illegal copying and distributing of copyrighted ebooks will rise as well.

Usually graphs like that have a bell curve, with the end of the curve probably in eternity, as some papyrus scripts of 4000 years ago still are found and read in museums,so I believe that these ebook devices will have their time,and probably 50 years from now end up in a museum or so... :-)
ProDigit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 02:36 PM   #5
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by AMacD View Post
Number of e-reader app downloads doesn't equate to number of books sold for those free apps. For example, lots of people will download both Stanza and the Amazon Kindle app. A lot of those will try out a free book to see how they like the experience. Some of those will never go any farther, some will actually delete the apps. Some unknown percentage will become e-book readers. I started on a Palm Pilot with a free app and have never looked back. I am on my second Kindle and as soon as the iPod Touch gets a camera I will upgrade my Palm to that as well.
That's not what they said. Let me try this again. Sales of ebooks themselves make up 14% of the App Store, not reader app sales. And that 3 million isn't sales of reader apps, it's the number of users.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 03:02 PM   #6
Kali Yuga
Professional Contrarian
Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 No Touchie
They may be right, but their methodology does invite a few questions.

From what I can tell, Flurry only gathers data from app developers who opt in. I can't really tell from their brief blurb which apps they're tracking.

As to the "14%" figure, that only reflects how many apps that are available are ebooks, not how many ebooks are actually downloaded and/or purchased by iPhone users:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flurry
According to Apptism, an App Store tracking service, eBooks represents the second largest application category in the App Store with 14% share, only behind Games, which comes in at 19%.
Emphasis added. There's no mention of sales counts or revenues here, just tons of people listing their ebooks for sale as applications.
Kali Yuga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 03:18 PM   #7
nobylspoon
Zealot
nobylspoon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nobylspoon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nobylspoon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nobylspoon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nobylspoon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nobylspoon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nobylspoon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nobylspoon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nobylspoon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nobylspoon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nobylspoon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Asus Transformer, WIFI Xoom, EVO LTE, 3G Paperwhite 10/2
I have read 6 books on the iPod Touch and it has been quite convenient since I always have the device with me but I am going out to buy an eInk device this afternoon because it just does not compare.

I will still continue to read on my Touch from time to time, especially at night so I won't disturb my partner with a reading light.
nobylspoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 04:21 PM   #8
Crowl
Wizard
Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, PW Signature edition
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobylspoon View Post
I have read 6 books on the iPod Touch and it has been quite convenient since I always have the device with me but I am going out to buy an eInk device this afternoon because it just does not compare.
Thats the sort of situation I found when using the mobipocket app for my blackberry, the convenience of it got me reading more than I had been for a while, but then the next step was to buy a proper ebook reader.
Crowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 06:59 PM   #9
gandor62
Connoisseur
gandor62 began at the beginning.

Device: iPod Touch, Ipad, Kindle 2
Using my Iphone, my available reading time has more than doubled. I really enjoy it and I can read in any lighting situation. Whereas with an Eink device I reckon I would have a few problems with lighting problems. I just wish we could get around the geographical problems and see the kindle app available world wide and all the books as well.
gandor62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 09:11 PM   #10
ekaser
Opinion Artiste
ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.

Device: Nexus 5, Nexus 7, Kindle Touch, Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
That's not what they said. Let me try this again. Sales of ebooks themselves make up 14% of the App Store, not reader app sales. And that 3 million isn't sales of reader apps, it's the number of users.
If those numbers are ANYWHERE near accurate, that would certainly provide the Apple folks with plenty of reason to start selling a better ebook reading device!
ekaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 10:30 PM   #11
carlobee
Fanatic
carlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-books

Device: The new iPad
i'm proud to say i'm one of those who read a lot on the iPhone.

carlobee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 11:17 PM   #12
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by carlobee View Post
i'm proud to say i'm one of those who read a lot on the iPhone.
Same here. Everytime I get a bit of downtime, I read.

Already have a tool chain for purchased ebooks (usually .lit):
  1. download ebook(s)
  2. unDRM with ConvertLIT
  3. import to Calibre
  4. update covers and metadata (if missing)
  5. batch convert to ePUB

The only thing that actually requires manual labor is the downloading of the actual ebook and cover/metadata updating (sometimes, I don't like the info retrieved from automated sources). The rest is all done with batch scripting, etc. After the process is done, I don't even have to copy them right away to the iPhone. I can just open the Calibre catalog from practically anywhere and download whatever I feel like reading.

Last edited by ilovejedd; 09-02-2009 at 11:28 PM.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 11:44 PM   #13
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobylspoon View Post
Similar for me. I don't have an iPhone, but do read a fair amount on my Treo (windows smart phone) using the Mobipocket app. It's great for short spurts of reading (waiting in line, sitting in a waiting room, etc) when I don't have a larger reader with me, but it could never be my only reader (hurts my eyes after a while).
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 12:09 AM   #14
Lilly
Guru
Lilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it is

Device: Sony PRS-505, PRS-900 & PRS-950, Amazon Kindle2
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
Similar for me. I don't have an iPhone, but do read a fair amount on my Treo (windows smart phone) using the Mobipocket app. It's great for short spurts of reading (waiting in line, sitting in a waiting room, etc) when I don't have a larger reader with me, but it could never be my only reader (hurts my eyes after a while).
Same here, I have a Samsung i760 phone with the Mobi software on it. I usually have one of my readers in most situation but I use my i760 eating at the food court in the mall, standing in line at grocery store, and just small time period of waiting unexpectedly since I always have my phone!
Lilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 05:44 AM   #15
JapaG
JapaG began at the beginning.

Device: CyBook Gen3
Is there a way to synchronize iPod reading with reading on a dedicated eBook reader (in my case, the CyBook Gen3)?

I'm planning to buy an iPhone, and it would be great to read with it when I'm standing in line, sitting in a bus, or something, and then carry on from the same point on the CyBook when I get home...
JapaG is offline   Reply With Quote