Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRiver Story

Notices

Old 01-23-2013, 07:06 PM   #1
Ntsimp
Zealot
Ntsimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ntsimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ntsimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ntsimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ntsimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ntsimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ntsimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ntsimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ntsimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ntsimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ntsimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iriver Story HD, Android
Lightbulb Tip: Use Bookmark List to simulate a "Currently Reading" list

I have lots of books on my Story HD, maybe 2000, and I'm reading several of them at any given time. It's nice that it remembers my place in all of them, but a single "Currently Reading" is not enough for me.

When you enter the Option Menu from the Folder View, one of the options is Bookmark List. This pulls up a list of all books you've got bookmarks set for. Because it saves my place, I've rarely used bookmarks, and it occurred to me today that I could use this to keep track of my full "Currently Reading" list. Just set a bookmark in each book you want to track. You can choose between updating the bookmark each time so you can get there through the Bookmark List, or just using the list to remember your books, navigating to them the normal way.

I haven't really tried this yet, but I'm looking forward to it. I just wanted to put the idea out there.
Ntsimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 10:30 PM   #2
CJJ
Zealot
CJJ can program the VCR without an owner's manual.CJJ can program the VCR without an owner's manual.CJJ can program the VCR without an owner's manual.CJJ can program the VCR without an owner's manual.CJJ can program the VCR without an owner's manual.CJJ can program the VCR without an owner's manual.CJJ can program the VCR without an owner's manual.CJJ can program the VCR without an owner's manual.CJJ can program the VCR without an owner's manual.CJJ can program the VCR without an owner's manual.CJJ can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: laptop, iriver Story HD, Galaxy Tab2 10.1
I find that the "Recent" list works well. What ever you read last will be on top so on the first page you can see your last 8 titles you've looked at. I suppose if you are reading all your 2000 books concurrently it might not be optimal. You can also use the "favorites" list. It would do pretty much the same thing as what you want to do with bookmarks. One thing I've noticed is that I lost my bookmarks after a software upgrade. Something to think about.
CJJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 12:55 AM   #3
Ntsimp
Zealot
Ntsimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ntsimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ntsimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ntsimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ntsimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ntsimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ntsimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ntsimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ntsimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ntsimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ntsimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iriver Story HD, Android
I never heard of the "Recent" or "Favorites". It turns out those exist only in the Collection View. But that's not really an option for me; I have to use Folder View in order to organize my books. I'm surprised someone actually uses Collection View; it looks pretty useless.
Ntsimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 05:57 AM   #4
Billi
Wizard
Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook, iRex, PB, Onyx
Obviously, this is a feature where Collection View is very useful!

I'm using folder view too and would be happy to have a longer list of last-read books. I will try your bookmark list-tip, thanks.
Billi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 06:22 AM   #5
frostschutz
Linux User
frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJJ View Post
One thing I've noticed is that I lost my bookmarks after a software upgrade. Something to think about.
You can also lose your entire read progress on a software update, but OTOH it's unlikely that we'll see such an update again

I'm not using any bookmarks or recent books. As long as I know what I'm reading, I can get to any book easy enough. My folder structure is exactly the way I like it.

Okay, it might be annoying if I wanted to switch between two books every five minutes, but that's something I just don't do.
frostschutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 10:49 PM   #6
Namekuseijin
affordable chipmunk
Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony XPeria ZL, Kindle Paperwhite
yeah, sorting books by "recently viewed" would be a blessing...
Namekuseijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 03:19 PM   #7
8andout
8andout doesn't litter8andout doesn't litter

Device: iriver story HD; Boyue T62+
The folder view/collection view being discussed here is one that I wrestle with daily, I usually have 5 or 6 books on the go at same time that I like to dip in and out of depending on my mood that day; I therefore use the favourites list in collection view to keep track of what I'm currently reading. But, when starting a new book and adding it as a favourite, I need to switch to folder view and find it, open it, switch back to collection then go to it in the recent books and favourite it. It's not the end of the world but it's more time consuming than I'd like.
Incidentally, I had a non HD story before this and it dealt with the recent books list in a much more user friendly way.
I might give the bookmarks method a try. Thanks for the tip.
8andout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 12:10 PM   #8
Namekuseijin
affordable chipmunk
Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

guys, I was being ironic about sorting by date. have you ever tried? To have recently viewed books upfront, all I have to do (at least on the original iriver Story) is go to Options -> Alter sorting order and choose by date. It doesn't sort by the date the book was added to the library, but by the date it was last read.

hope it's useful
Old 02-03-2013, 01:03 PM   #9
frostschutz
Linux User
frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

No such setting on the Story HD.
Old 02-03-2013, 03:05 PM   #10
Namekuseijin
affordable chipmunk

really?! there's no other way to sort the booklist?

for the first time I feel glad to have an older gadget... :-)
Old 02-03-2013, 03:29 PM   #11
frostschutz
Linux User

Well, there's no setting because the DB view gives you a tab for that. So you can view them sorted by downloads, recent, favourite, title, author. And you can even sort them backwards and forwards.

But since actually finding a book in that mode is so cumbersome (do you want to go through 30 pages of books in the author tab?) I never use it. There's also a search book by title feature, but for navigating, you just can't beat the folder view.

If they'd just added another tab for the folder view or a hotkey that switches between the modes you could have best of both worlds but ... meh.
Old 02-03-2013, 04:45 PM   #12
Namekuseijin
affordable chipmunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by frostschutz View Post
Well, there's no setting because the DB view gives you a tab for that. So you can view them sorted by downloads, recent, favourite, title, author. And you can even sort them backwards and forwards.
oh, I see.

you guys are weeping for nothing