Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 07-22-2011, 02:59 PM   #1
ORLOV
ORLOV began at the beginning.

Device: none
Battery length

Hi all again:
I have been reading all the bunfff on Kindle and Nook, plus all the various posts on the Forum. Each day, I decide I will buy ***** , then I find out it wont do something I want , so each day I have a new favourite. It is kind of confusing as well as I dont understand a lot of the initials and short forms used. Is there a roseta stone available of all these many things?
I really like the nook colour, not because it has colour, but it has everything on it that one could want, including accessing public libraries. BUT ,they tell me the battery charge will only last 8 hours at best , and I dont think turning off the wifi or colour (even if possible) changes that. So now I am back to square one, but have a lot more info and knowledge about various tablets. I like the Simple Touch, but it cannot access the libraries .
So guess I will just keep reading the forums and etc. and hope enlightenment occurs.
cheers,
doris
ORLOV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 03:09 PM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
That's the compromise with a tablet: poor battery life compared with eInk devices. There are tablets which will do better; with an iPad, for example, you'd probably get 15h usage or so.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 07:22 AM   #3
Pinecone
Guru
Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-650, PRS-600, PRS-350
Anything backlit (color) will have shorter battery life. Making light takes power.

The black adn white (eInk) screens use no power except when you change the display (turn pages).

WiFi takes power. It is a radio transmitter and receiver.

Sony PRS-350 or 650. eInk screen and no wifi (week+ battery life). Touch screen. Robust.
Pinecone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 07:41 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Every device which has wireless (AFAIK) allows you to turn the wireless off.

Eg, I have a Kindle which has both WiFi and 3G. With the wireless off (which is how I normally keep it) I get a good month between charges, reading a couple of hours every day.
Old 07-23-2011, 07:48 AM   #5
patrickt
Wizard
patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4 X 2
And keep in mind, Orlov, that nothing ever lasts as long as "they" say it will. Consider fluorescent light bubls. I quit worrying about hours. Generally, my Kindle last for a little over three books.
patrickt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 08:18 AM   #6
VydorScope
Wizard
VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
I own the Nook Color, but only read a couple hours a day. At that rate I can go several days before realizing I forgot to plug it in, and it still has plenty of power. It has never run out on me. I do have the screen brightness at min (big battery savings) and wifi off (not as big, but still some).

E-Ink has 2 advantages, 1) insane battery life, and 2) much easier to read in direct sunlight. If those two features are import to you, then get an E-Ink based display. Otherwise you have a lot more flexibility in a Nook Color (or other tablet style) reader.

(Note: some ppl find e-ink easier on the eyes, some find lcd easier on the eyes, some notice no difference... so ymmv on that one)
VydorScope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 01:11 PM   #7
sadievan
Wizard
sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, iPhone, Kindle Fire HD 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Every device which has wireless (AFAIK) allows you to turn the wireless off.

Eg, I have a Kindle which has both WiFi and 3G. With the wireless off (which is how I normally keep it) I get a good month between charges, reading a couple of hours every day.
Curious. On the 3G can you also turn the 3G off.

Carol
sadievan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 02:22 PM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Turning off the wireless turns off both WiFi and 3G.
Old 07-23-2011, 05:32 PM   #9
sadievan
Wizard
sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, iPhone, Kindle Fire HD 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Turning off the wireless turns off both WiFi and 3G.
Thanks

Carol
sadievan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 08:13 PM   #10
ORLOV

Thanks guys :
My main concern about battery life is when travelling. My next trip is up the Dnieper River in the Ukraine. They say they have both 220v and 115V but 115 only in bathrooms. I am not sure but I think the nook colour will run on 220 but I am sure will need a lot of charging. . I am wary about those countries voltage and the safety of it for my eReader. I have made up my mind (finally) to buy a Nook colour, which does marvellous things, but is larger than I really wanted for travel.
Will appreciate any comments the Forum has on this situation.
Thanks,
Doris
Old 07-25-2011, 08:52 PM   #11
pholy
Booklegger
pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook(1 & 2010), PEZ, PRS-505, Kobo BT, PRS-T1, Playbook, Kobo Touch
Every USB wall wart I have seen is marked for 90-250 VAC, 50-60 Hz. Check yours. Only the plug for the outlet should be a problem, and adapters are cheap - and inexpensive, too.
pholy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 10:18 AM   #12
Pinecone
Guru
Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-650, PRS-600, PRS-350
www.igo.com

I use the Charge Anywhere - http://www.igo.com/mobile-devices/ch...t/ps002730001/

It is both a wall charger and has a built in battery, so it can charge your book when there is not outlet to plug into.

It is fine on 110-115 volt outlets or 220 volt outlets. I have used mine in some 15 - 20 countries. All you need is an adapter for the outlet.

But in the bathroom, most shaver outlets will take a Euro or US plug without an adapter, so you can always charge there.
Pinecone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 04:03 PM   #13
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by ORLOV View Post
Thanks guys :
My main concern about battery life is when travelling. My next trip is up the Dnieper River in the Ukraine. They say they have both 220v and 115V but 115 only in bathrooms. I am not sure but I think the nook colour will run on 220 but I am sure will need a lot of charging. . I am wary about those countries voltage and the safety of it for my eReader. I have made up my mind (finally) to buy a Nook colour, which does marvellous things, but is larger than I really wanted for travel.
Will appreciate any comments the Forum has on this situation.
Thanks,
Doris
there are markings on your charger:

Dash notation:
90-250V indicates the Range 90 to 250 with no user intervention as long as you are between those number shown, there should be no problems.

Slash notation:
115/230 indicates that it will do either, BUT there is a switch or jumper.

115V is a single voltage unit

Be wary of voltage converters intended for Razors or curling irons.
The waveform can be very odd (which won't bother their intended load) and might damage electronics.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 05:12 PM   #14
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
Perhaps a different approach would better meet your needs.

You might consider the Ectaco jetBook Lite.

http://www.ectaco.com/ectaco-jetbook-lite/

It is often available for under $100.

The main feature that you might find useful, is that it is powered be 4ea AA Batteries.
It runs for 25 - 30 Hours of actual reading time on a charged set of common NiMH AA
rechargeable batteries. There are many charging options including solar charging.

The use of user replaceable, offline chargeable batteries has a number of advantages.
The most often mentioned being the fact that you can replace a set of batteries very
easily and quickly, and get right back to readding. An internal battery will require finding
an outlet for the devices proprietary charger and a four hour period for it to charge,
before you can use the device. If you are on the go you can replace a set of batteries
and continue reading, then when you reach your destination/hotel you can recharge
the set that ran out, while using the set you replaced them with. It is unlikely that you
will spend 30 hours reading before the set in the charger is recharged and ready to go.

The jetBook Lite (JBL) uses a 5" reflective (no backlight) TFT black&white LCD display
that can be read outdoors in sunlight (a little shade is advised though). Some people
prefer this display over e-ink (another non-backlit display). The lack of a backlight is
a major factor in the battery life of these kind of devices.

It is very "sideloading" friendly, and since it has no WiFi or other radio device to drain
the battery, that is a good thing.

It supports three DRM scams and a large number of ebook file formats, one of the most
extensive list of any dedicated ereader. It has ADE support, so it can handle the DRM
used by most US Libraries. (Don't know what Canada uses.)

It is a pocketable 5" ereader and you can also fit a set of four charged extra batteries in
the same pocket. If you are out and about when the 25 -30 hours reading time runs out,
on the set in your JBL, you have another 25-30 hours with those extra batteries. If that
were to not be enough for some reason, you can buy AA batteries most anyplace in the
world.

Luck;
Ken
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 06:39 PM   #15
ORLOV

Gosh Vincent, I thought the Nook Colour was e-ink. What does it use and how does it compare for reading with the others? I am on the verge of buying a Nook Colour, and need to find out all the cons before I click on the final "Buy" button.
Another thing I cant seem to find out anywhere, when and If I buy a cover for it, how much size does it add to it? Do they need a cover? Is there no other screen protector?
Thanks for info.
doris