Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Alternative Devices

Notices

Old 02-27-2010, 05:37 AM   #1
rfog
Guru
rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lots of eInk devices and iOS stuff
Alreader2 extremely slow in JE200

I'm trying Alreader2 in my just received JE200 and it is extremely slow. It takes about 10 seconds to turn page or whatever other thing you can do as open a menu.

I like it very much because it has a lot of options but it seems program is reformating and reloading all the ebook on each page turn or other option.

BTW, HaaliReader 2 (I think it is his little sister) works reasonably fast with the same ebook...
rfog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 02:20 PM   #2
Frankr
Zealot
Frankr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frankr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frankr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frankr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frankr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frankr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frankr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frankr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frankr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frankr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frankr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EzReader, Sony 650, Kindle 5, Onyx i62HD, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by rfog View Post
... HaaliReader 2 (I think it is his little sister) works reasonably fast with the same ebook...
I installed the HalliReader 2. Would you know why every prc file I open shows the formatting codes throughout the book? I've tried changing the Encoding settings, and no matter what I choose it still shows all the formatting codes.
Any help would be appreciated, especially because it does seem to be much faster
Frankr is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-27-2010, 03:12 PM   #3
rfog
Guru
rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I think HaaliReader does not support Mobipocket format...

Haali home page says:

"PRC/PDB files support (plain text and XML only, HTML is not supported)."

But PRC is HTML...
Old 02-27-2010, 07:04 PM   #4
Frankr
Zealot
Frankr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frankr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frankr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frankr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frankr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frankr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frankr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frankr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frankr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frankr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frankr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks Ifog, HaalReader works great on Txt files. It turns pages very fast, and since it is easy to convert prc files to txt, I am all set.
Old 02-27-2010, 09:08 PM   #5
StevenK
Enthusiast
StevenK began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505
Page turning speed will increase with larger font sizes in AlReader. On my JE100, MS Reader is by far the fastest page turner with instantaneous turns. Second is Mobipocket, which is brisk (not with very small font sizes, though), and third is Alreader. HaaliReader only reads text and FB2 format. I tried making some FB2 books in Calibre, but HaaliReader always says it has encountered an error on Line 1 when it tries to open the book.
StevenK is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-28-2010, 06:38 AM   #6
rfog
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenK View Post
Page turning speed will increase with larger font sizes in AlReader. On my JE100, MS Reader is by far the fastest page turner with instantaneous turns. Second is Mobipocket, which is brisk (not with very small font sizes, though), and third is Alreader. HaaliReader only reads text and FB2 format. I tried making some FB2 books in Calibre, but HaaliReader always says it has encountered an error on Line 1 when it tries to open the book.
I know...

However, uBook with same little font turns pages fast, very fast, two columns mode included...

Well, we have to live with that...
Old 02-28-2010, 02:31 PM   #7
StevenK
Enthusiast

I didn't have any luck getting UBook to work. Maybe I installed the wrong version.
Old 02-28-2010, 03:02 PM   #8
rfog
Guru

I think I installed this: http://www.gowerpoint.com/uBook2010r0f_HPC_ARM.exe

But if this does not work, perhaps this does: http://www.gowerpoint.com/uBook2010r0f_M6_M6P_VGA.exe

I remember've tested both.
Old 02-28-2010, 07:18 PM   #9
Frankr
Zealot

Ifog, Thanks again for the advice on using UBook, now I am finally glad that I bought the JE100. Now I only have to figure out what color background and text works best for me. UBook is excellent. The link I used for the install was http://www.gowerpoint.com/uBook2010r0f_HPC_ARM.exe Thank You again.
Old 03-03-2010, 01:39 PM   #10
StevenK
Enthusiast

I got the UBook reader working, but I prefer the MS Reader on the JE100, I decided. Has anyone figured out a way to exit the MS Reader on the JE100 without having to kill the process?
Old 03-03-2010, 08:37 PM   #11
imaredr
Collector
imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook
Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenK View Post
I got the UBook reader working, but I prefer the MS Reader on the JE100, I decided. Has anyone figured out a way to exit the MS Reader on the JE100 without having to kill the process?
I haven't. I asked Jopintech about it and I still have not received an answer other than they would look into it. So I guess I am stuck with using the task manager to close the app.

Ellen
imaredr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 10:38 AM   #12
StevenK
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by imaredr View Post
I haven't. I asked Jopintech about it and I still have not received an answer other than they would look into it. So I guess I am stuck with using the task manager to close the app.

Ellen
I added those fake dlls to my JE100, but it didn't make the close button display in MS reader. Strange that there are no menu options to exit. Oh, well. It's not such a big beal to use the task manager.
Old 03-04-2010, 06:34 PM   #13
Frankr
Zealot

I'm using software that that I bought from Handango, for my PocketPc. The site told me it was not compatible with my device, but I ran it anyway and it worked great. Now I'm running it on my JE100 and it seems to works with a bit of a quirk, It will ask you if you want to close "Rotate Screen", and does nothing to that program, and some of the other WindowsCE programs are not seen or stopped either. It does stop MS Reader

http://www.handango.com/catalog/Prod....mc_id=GPS_PPC --You can download a trial version--

If you feel like trying it, be careful, there is a closeall.exe on the internet that is really a virus.
Old 03-05-2010, 10:49 AM   #14
StevenK
Enthusiast

Thanks for that great tip, Frankr.
Old 03-05-2010, 11:09 PM   #15
Frankr
Zealot

Another Close All Program, Works great on my JE100 without any quirks, at least none that I've found. Tascal's Close All Pocket PC (version 0.40)

http://www2r.biglobe.ne.jp/~tascal/d...closeall_e.htm

To install: 1. Download the zipped file. 2. Extract the "arm" version of the cabs. 3. Save that cab file to your JE device. 4. Explore your way to that file on your JE device and double click on it to install.

Of note: This program closes the "rotate screen" function until you restart.

Last edited by Frankr; 03-06-2010 at 01:58 AM.