Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 11-03-2009, 11:00 PM   #1
khalleron
Kate
khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7 2013, Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Forma
Blogging my novel

I've spent the past several months doing research for a historical novel, and I now have the opening scene written. I'm planning to blog this as I go, asking for advice as I post (crowd-editing) as an experiment.

If you'd like to participate, my blog is http://khalleron.blogspot.com/

I'd really appreciate any input, especially from the professional writers here on the forum, if any would be kind enough to take a look.

Thanks to all of you!
Old 11-04-2009, 12:17 AM   #2
lene1949
Wizard
lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle paper white
Hi Kate

I only found one thing I would correct:

A girl she would never see again, nor wished to into

A girl she would never see again, nor did she wish to or

A girl she never saw again, nor wished to

I would also put "" around where M thinks to herself.

I enjoyed reading the first part... Looking forward to the next..
Advert
Old 11-04-2009, 12:38 AM   #3
khalleron
Kate
khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I'm pretty sure quotes are only used for spoken dialogue, but I will make the other correction you suggested.

Thanks!
Old 11-04-2009, 01:19 AM   #4
Donnageddon
Now you lishen here...
Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650. Kobo Touch, Kindle Fire
I agree, I prefer the italics for M's thoughts, and the italics + "" for the remembered dialogue.

Good luck and keep at it!
Old 11-04-2009, 11:08 AM   #5
plumboz
Novelist
plumboz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plumboz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plumboz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plumboz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plumboz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plumboz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plumboz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plumboz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plumboz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plumboz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plumboz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook
Blogging your novel

Kate,

I have just read your opening and I think it works very well. My only specific suggestions would be to drop the parenthetical "coffee and cream" in favor of a smoother description that doesn't require the pause of parentheses and perhaps during the rather extended stretch of dialogue you could include just what Marguerite is doing as she prepares to sketch and then executes the sketch.

Overall I'm not sure how much you need or want the backstory overtones at this point. Finding out about things like Marguerite's lover's assessment of her soul might be better left to later in the story.

Good luck with your blog as you write project. I've been doing much the same over at Wordpress with my work in progress The Baer Boys. Although I'm not so much looking for critiques as simply hoping to keep myself moving ahead by putting the project out in public. Or as public as an infrequently visited blog like mine can be!
Advert
Old 11-04-2009, 12:27 PM   #6
khalleron
Kate

Actually, the backstory is going to be a big part of this novel - I wanted to at least introduce a flashback in the opening as much of the work is going to involve flashbacks.

The other thing has a reason, too, that I don't want to divulge at this point. Although, as the story develops, I will of course be editing anything that doesn't work, so I do appreciate the input. For now, I think it will, but I'm open to other opinions.

I'll check out your blog, too.

Thanks!
Old 11-04-2009, 01:24 PM   #7
plumboz
Novelist
plumboz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plumboz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plumboz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plumboz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plumboz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plumboz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plumboz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plumboz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plumboz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plumboz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plumboz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook
Good Luck and Keep the Faith

Kate,

All the best as you take on the Task of Writing a Novel. Not easy. Many say they will and never get it done. Heck, most don't even start. So regardless of what sort of feedback you get as you post new chapters, I hope you just forge ahead. Even though I'm putting mine out in the open too, I'm not sure I particularly want anyone who wants to poking his or her nose in and offering up Constructive Criticism. There is probably a reason writing is a lonely profession.
Old 11-05-2009, 03:41 PM   #8
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
Kate, I also want to say, great start! I agree with the (coffee and cream) comments.... that comment in () made me do a full stop in my reading and go back to reread.. It just seemed to be a discordant note in the beginning, but I'm not the author and I'll wait to see what you have in mind for its use.

I didn't mind the flashback at that point in the story, as I feel it is a normal thing many people do. I think a strong emotion can be triggered by something you see, do, or hear, and you naturally think back to what caused the strong emotion...

I'll look forward to reading more...
Old 11-07-2009, 05:01 PM   #9
Heather Parker
Nameless Being

I really enjoyed reading this. It makes you want to continue reading - and find out the secrets in this woman's life. What has made her into the person she is now? I would say you've made an excellent start!

Old 11-09-2009, 10:45 AM   #10
khalleron
Kate

I've posted a bit more.

I intend to post every few days, or at *least* once a week.

Not to annoy everyone, I'll just ask those interested to stop by every once in awhile, rather than me updating this thread continually.

Thanks!
Old 11-16-2009, 03:05 AM   #11
lene1949
Wizard
lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I think, if I were writing a novel, I would update the thread, when I have something new...

I think, people are too busy with their own lives to check out your novel just for the sake of it...

So ... if you want people to read it, you need to keep it on top of the threads...
Old 12-14-2009, 05:10 PM   #12
khalleron
Kate

Chapter Seven is up, which I only had half done when I broke my arm. Finished it with several workarounds, none of which were completely satisfactory, but I did it. May not write anymore until I get the new splint next week - this is still pretty painful.
Old 12-20-2009, 11:17 PM   #13
Marseille
Guru
Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
I've been considering trying to blog a collection of short stories, somewhat as a motivational technique to actually get some content finished. Does that element figure into what you're doing?

I realize this thread was for feedback on what you're doing, but I'd be interested in some reflections on the process, how blogging the novel feels different from keeping it more isolated.
Old 12-21-2009, 02:51 AM   #14
lene1949
Wizard

I read a couple of Kate's chapters, and decided I wanted to wait and read the whole book... It's good!

I would upload finished material to smashwords, where people can read a percentage of the story for free, and then either download it or buy it...

I think many people would read the start of what you're doing, but they will not keep on commenting on it, unless you write really badly...
Old 12-21-2009, 10:05 AM   #15
khalleron
Kate

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Marseilles View Post
I've been considering trying to blog a collection of short stories, somewhat as a motivational technique to actually get some content finished. Does that element figure into what you're doing?

I realize this thread was for feedback on what you're doing, but I'd be interested in some reflections on the process, how blogging the novel feels different from keeping it more isolated.
I've been writing fanfic for awhile, and I do find the knowledge that someone is waiting for the next chapter does keep me on track.

If I were writing short stories, though, I'd probably just post them on feedbooks.
Closed Thread