Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 09-12-2016, 04:41 PM   #931
Waylander
Fanatic
Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 5 SE, Onyx Boox Poke 3
Thanks for all the advice. The series is the Kane series by Karl Edward Wagner, and the nice new hardcovers are published by Centipede Press.
Waylander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 08:55 AM   #932
Bookworm0323
Bookworm0323 began at the beginning.

Device: Nook
Looking for a book title/author....

Woman Returns to hometown faces past tragedy (death of child) gets back together with ex (father of children)

I first read this book in late 2006 early 2007. It was about a married couple who has three young children and somehow one of them dies.
It seems to me that it was an accident in the yard or house. Possibly involving blind chords. The mom was a nurse at a hospital and her husband can't get a hold of her and brings daughter to the ER (daughter is maybe twoish, surviving children are maybe 5 and 8. Following the accident the family is broken, the other kids were not given enough attention and everyone feels responsible for the accident. The book was told from the parents point of view mainly the wife though at times I believe it went back and forth between her and the husb/ex husb. The book doesn’t reveal details of accident till maybe mid-book.
The couple divorces. Later (10-15 years) the woman goes back to hometown or at least where she lived when she was married. (maybe to finalize divorce) at that time surviving children are grown the couple reunites. The husband owns or runs a book store or a coffee shop. I think when the couple reunited it was during the Christmas season.
Bookworm0323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-20-2016, 09:08 AM   #933
sakura-panda
Guru
sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2017 10.5" iPad Pro (Kobo, NOOK, Kindle, Google Play Books & Scribd)
Welcome to MobileRead!

I don't have any idea, but I recommend that you post this in the Name that Book thread. It's pretty active and has a decent success rate. Good luck finding it!

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=34005
sakura-panda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 09:09 AM   #934
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Moved out of General Discussion and to the READING RECOMMENDATIONS FORUM where this thread belongs.

Don
(Moderator)
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 01:23 PM   #935
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
I'm reading a book (Me Before You), and it references another book/movie:

Quote:
... It was an old film, about a hunchback who inherits a house in the French countryside, and Will said it was based on a famous book, but I can’t say I’d ever heard of it. I spent the first twenty minutes feeling a bit fidgety, irritated by the subtitles and wondering if Will was going to get grouchy if I told him I needed the loo.

And then something happened. I stopped thinking about how hard it was listening and reading at the same time, forgot Will’s pill timetable, and whether Mrs. Traynor would think I was slacking, and I started to get anxious about the poor man and his family, who were being tricked by unscrupulous neighbors. By the time Hunchback Man died, I was sobbing silently, snot running into my sleeve. ...
Anyone know what the book/movie is? Thanks.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-04-2016, 01:39 PM   #936
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
I'm reading a book (Me Before You), and it references another book/movie:

Anyone know what the book/movie is? Thanks.
Hunchback + French countryside seems to suggest Jean de Florette.
DiapDealer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 02:02 PM   #937
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Hunchback + French countryside seems to suggest Jean de Florette.
Indeed it is. One of my favourite films of all time. Closely followed by the sequel, Manon des Sources. Both based on the books by Marcel Pagnol.
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 02:34 PM   #938
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Given that the book referred to it as an "old film", I'd guess it was probably taking about the 1953 version, "Manon des Sources", rather than the 1986 one. (Do people these days regard 1980s films as old?)
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 02:51 PM   #939
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
I didn't see the date on the film, to be honest. I've never seen either of them, myself. I just googled "hunchback french countryside" and saw the movie/novel result.
DiapDealer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 04:00 PM   #940
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

French films aren't exactly my forte, either . I just noted from Wiki that there'd been a 1953 version.
Old 10-04-2016, 04:12 PM   #941
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I'm talking about the Gerard Depardieu and Emmanuel Beart versions, respectively. Didn't know there was a 1953 version.
Old 10-04-2016, 04:41 PM   #942
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by orlok View Post
I'm talking about the Gerard Depardieu and Emmanuel Beart versions, respectively. Didn't know there was a 1953 version.
That was the 1986 one. According to Wiki the original film version of the book was made in 1953, so I'd guess that if this book describes an "old film", that's probably the one it's talking about.
Old 10-04-2016, 08:23 PM   #943
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Thank you everyone.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 08:27 PM   #944
cromag
Surfin the alpha waves ~~
cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Jetbook Lite & Mini, Nook STR, Kobo, Hanvon N516, Kindle 2, Androids
The book came out in 2012 and the protagonists are described as "twenty-somethings," so 1986 could indeed be an "old" movie. And 1953 would be an ancient movie, back from before colors were invented.

Could be either one. I suspect we've put more analytical thought into it than the author.
cromag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 04:49 AM   #945
orlok
Close to the Edit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cromag View Post
The book came out in 2012 and the protagonists are described as "twenty-somethings," so 1986 could indeed be an "old" movie. And 1953 would be an ancient movie, back from before colors were invented.

Could be either one. I suspect we've put more analytical thought into it than the author.
Not sure which book you are referring to? My copy of Jean de Florette is copyrighted 1962.

Tags
children's books, christie, forgotten title, four just men, mystery stories, teen sleuths