Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Bookeen

Notices

Old 10-14-2008, 12:26 PM   #1
Manichean
Wizard
Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Cybook Gen3
PDF Display- Hangup on empty pages

Hi,

I just encountered what seems to be a bug: my Cybook will hang on (intentionally) empty pages in a PDF file, the LED is on permanently, but nothing happens (I let it work about 5 minutes). When I jump directly to the page behind the blank one, there's no problem.
Did anyone else encounter that behaviour? Is this a Cybook bug or might this be a malformed PDF file (I assume I can provide the PDF in question, it's a lecture script, but it's about 16 MB, so ask me if you need it for testing).
My Cybook is the old model, if that's important.

Thanks in advance,
Manichean
Manichean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 02:08 PM   #2
DDHarriman
Guru
DDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura about

Device: Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS 505, Kindle DXG and Samsung Galaxy Note
It looks to be a malformed Pdf as apparently it's the first time you are getting that behaviour.
Try with 2 or 3 other Pdf's around the same size and complexity (if you can) to see if it happens again.
DDHarriman is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-14-2008, 04:20 PM   #3
Pulp
Palm Addict
Pulp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Gen3 [512mb, FW: 1.5]
Just to make sure - are you using the latest firmware update?
Pulp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 03:55 AM   #4
Manichean
Wizard
Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

I am using the latest firmware. I don't have any other PDFs with blank pages in them. I tested a few different ones when the new firmware came out and didn't see any problems. Other PDFs with comparable complexity (that's to say, other scientific texts) and similar size didn't spawn any problems, that's why I'm guessing it's the blank page that did it.
Is there any way to check whether the PDF is malformed or not? I know how to create them, but I'm pretty clueless as to the specifics of the format.

Last edited by Manichean; 10-15-2008 at 03:58 AM.
Old 10-15-2008, 04:30 AM   #5
Pulp
Palm Addict
Pulp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

If its only empty pages causing trouble you could use a tool like PDF Split and Merge (it's free) to simply cut the pages out - and see if it fixes the problem.
Advert
Old 10-15-2008, 12:05 PM   #6
Manichean
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pulp View Post
If its only empty pages causing trouble you could use a tool like PDF Split and Merge (it's free) to simply cut the pages out - and see if it fixes the problem.
I'll give it a try, although just to confirm this as a possible bug, the workaround is much simpler: just jump to the page after the blank one
Old 10-15-2008, 12:20 PM   #7
Pulp
Palm Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manichean View Post
the workaround is much simpler: just jump to the page after the blank one
Only if you don't have to reset the cybook after the lockup - going through the pdf on the pc to find and kill empty pages might be quicker than one single reboot on the cybook

Especially the upcoming version of pdfsam looks very promising as it will allow to see tumbnails of the pdfpages where you can directly select which pages to remove.