Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 11-08-2012, 07:54 PM   #1
jswinden
Nameless Being

Question Anyone get voice search to work in apps that use it?

Has anyone got the voice search to work with the Merriam Webster dictionary app v.1.3? Or any other app that might use it? I wonder if Amazon disabled something. Or maybe its one of those stupid Android quirks where the app cannot see that the Fire HD has a mic.
Old 11-08-2012, 10:32 PM   #2
obsessed2
Wizard
obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocket Edge X 2 , Edge, gTab, Kindle Fire, Nextbook 7S
Download and install the Google Voice Search App. Just install the App and select Done. No need to open it as it should interface with any App that supports voice search. Side Note: Opening the Voice Search App directly will allow you to do a Google search which defaults to the web browser.

Google Voice Search: http://www.1mobile.com/voice-search-79945.html

I verified Voice Search works on the Fire HD with the Merriam Webster Dictionary App (http://www.amazon.com/Merriam-Webste...rds=dictionary) available from the Amazon App Store.

Last edited by obsessed2; 11-08-2012 at 10:58 PM.
obsessed2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-08-2012, 11:08 PM   #3
jswinden
Nameless Being

Thanks. I finally got it to work after several tries. Typical Android quirkiness I guess.
Old 11-08-2012, 11:26 PM   #4
jswinden
Nameless Being

Check that. It works only once in a great while. What a POS, and I'm talking about Android! If the voice search function requires a special app to be installed then the app store should mention that. Neither Google Play nor Amazon stores mention that. My phone runs the app without a special voice search app, but I guess it is smart enough to understand that it actually has a mic.
Old 11-09-2012, 12:11 AM   #5
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
Check that. It works only once in a great while. What a POS, and I'm talking about Android! If the voice search function requires a special app to be installed then the app store should mention that. Neither Google Play nor Amazon stores mention that. My phone runs the app without a special voice search app, but I guess it is smart enough to understand that it actually has a mic.
It's all about the Google framework. Voice Search works great on my phone and SGP5. Voice Search is a Google feature not Android.

Your phone probably has Google Voice pre-install. All my Google Play devices do.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-09-2012, 08:12 AM   #6
obsessed2
Wizard
obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocket Edge X 2 , Edge, gTab, Kindle Fire, Nextbook 7S
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post

Android can be quirky. It seemed to work OK for me, but I haven't tested it extensively. There are other Voice Search Apps on 1Mobile that may prove to be a better match for the Fire HD including ICS Voice. In hindsight, I recommend anyone else who installs one of the Voice Search Apps open and test it to ensure its basic functionality works before attempting to use from another App. Maybe somebody will find that one of the other Voice Search Apps works better with the Fire HD:

http://www.1mobile.com/search.php?keywords=voice+search
obsessed2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 01:37 PM   #7
jswinden
Nameless Being

I got it to work more consistently after I cleared the apps data and cache. Android can be such a pain at times. Of course some of the issue could be the Merriam-Webster dictionary app. I notice that it doesn't contain as many word definitions as I would expect, but then it is the free version.