Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 07-31-2011, 02:27 PM   #1
Jabby
Jr. - Junior Member
Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Archos, Asus, HP, Lenovo, Nexus and Samsung tablets in 7,8 and 10"
What does "Status: Postponed" mean exactly?

I filed a bug report (Issue 869) and when I checked on it it said "Status: Postponed" with "Priority:Medium". I have no idea what this means.

Does this mean that this bug won't get fixed on the next release?

Regards - John
Jabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 03:22 PM   #2
user_none
Sigil & calibre developer
user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR
Bugs marked with with a milestone such as Milestone-0.4 are slated to be fixed for that release. However, this does not guarantee they will be. Postponed means the bug has been accepted and there are plans to fix it but it's not going to happen any time soon.

The tags on bugs reflect the bug wrangler's priorities. Some else can easily come along and fix it. Also, as developers change so do priorities.
user_none is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-31-2011, 04:30 PM   #3
Jabby
Jr. - Junior Member
Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by user_none View Post
Postponed means the bug has been accepted and there are plans to fix it but it's not going to happen any time soon.
Too bad. It really makes it tough, for blind non-typists, to edit in code view when you can't cut and paste. Can't even bring up my text editor, where I keep my "pasties".

I'm surprised nobody else has complained about this bug. I can't be the only one who relies on cutting and pasting to edit text. Or maybe I am he odd man out. Or maybe they are using v3.4 for other reasons. Or.......

Regards - John

Last edited by Jabby; 07-31-2011 at 04:32 PM.
Old 07-31-2011, 05:27 PM   #4
user_none
user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I'm assuming most people just say fix manually which makes the dialog go away and they use the keyboard for copy and paste.
Old 08-01-2011, 12:45 PM   #5
mrmikel
Color me gone
mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-300
Cutting and pasting in Sigil is problematic at best and it is due, I believe, to the underlying QT software. You can cut from the keyboard, but when you try to paste, it highlights material before and wipes out things you don't want wiped out.

But you don't have to be much of a typist to locate Control and V to do the pasting, which works correctly.
mrmikel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-01-2011, 01:09 PM   #6
user_none

@mrmikel, what OS are you seeing this behavior?
Old 08-01-2011, 06:30 PM   #7
Jabby
Jr. - Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmikel View Post
But you don't have to be much of a typist to locate Control and V to do the pasting, which works correctly.
Another part of the problem is that I can't click on the task bar to bring up the text editor where I store my pasties. (left clicking on the task bar brings up the Sigil error as well.

A manual fix isn't so bad if there is only a single error but most of mine are multiple errors that come from screwing up a regex find and replace. (the find and replace text windows are pretty small and errors get past me.)

As an example, I have this line in a text file:
<span class=""></span>
I fill in the quotes in a nice large font and paste it in Sigil. I then come back and get the antonym. All done.

So, for now, I'll keep v3 and v4 handy and use both as the situation dictates and hope for a better day

Regards - John

Last edited by Jellby; 08-02-2011 at 03:15 AM. Reason: fixed markup
Old 08-02-2011, 07:50 AM   #8
mrmikel
Color me gone
mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

This is on Windows Vista 64 bit. I think I reported it as a bug long ago, but I think that Valloric closed it.

I usually see it when I am moving text around an image. For ebooks I like to always make sure paragraphs end at an image, since you never know where the text is going to break. I highlight the text, right click cut then move the cursor up above or below the image as the case may be, then insert. Using the right click insert, as I recall, it knocks out some of the text before. I can't remember now how much because I never use it, not wanting to lose text. It may be whatever is on that same line.

If can you squash that bug, I will be mighty happy.
Old 08-02-2011, 11:00 AM   #9
user_none

If it was closed I'm assuming it's because it's a Qt bug and not anything that can be fixed at the Sigil level.
Old 08-02-2011, 04:28 PM   #10
charleski
Wizard
charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmikel View Post
I highlight the text, right click cut then move the cursor up above or below the image as the case may be, then insert. Using the right click insert, as I recall, it knocks out some of the text before.
I haven't seen this bug in practice. To fix it we'd need an example with a description of the exact steps needed to reproduce it. It may well be a Qt bug, or a bug in the interaction between the various packages underlying Sigil. Sometimes these can be worked around, though sometimes not.
charleski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 08:39 PM   #11
user_none

@Jabby, I have pushed a fix for your issue. It will be included in the next release.
Old 08-02-2011, 09:50 PM   #12
Jabby
Jr. - Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by user_none View Post
@Jabby, I have pushed a fix for your issue. It will be included in the next release.
Many thanks!

Regards - John
Old 08-03-2011, 07:40 AM   #13
mrmikel
Color me gone

@charleski-

Type some text, hit enter, type some more text, hit enter, type some more text hit enter. Highlight and cut some text, then try to paste it via right click. At first, the green highlight shows to the right when you right click. It is often do it correctly, but if you keep choosing different places to right click eventually it highlights left instead of right. At first it will do a large number of characters, but other times just two.

It would seem that it is getting confused by thinking it is selecting. That should not happen with the right mouse button, selecting should only be with the left mouse button.