Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 04-24-2011, 10:40 AM   #1
NYCourtney
eBook Producer
NYCourtney began at the beginning.

Device: All
Exclamation Lost the Search Functionality only on my Kindle .mobi file

In creating an ePub and then .mobi book, somewhere along the way, the "Search This Book" function has decided not to work on the Kindle.

I've run simple searches for "a" or "onion" and it returns no results. I've tried restarting the device. All other books on the Kindle search fine, but not the new one I've created.

Everything in the book displays and functions properly, but the search function does not work. The search function works perfectly on all my other readers for this book (Sony, Nook, iPad etc.).

Has anyone run across this before? Could there be some code that I've used that has disabled this functionality???

Thank you for your help if you can!
NYCourtney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 03:29 PM   #2
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
I saw mention the other day of issues with dictionaries working or not, depending on the language code set in the book and/or dictionary. Maybe the language code is not set to English in the book?
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-26-2011, 12:04 PM   #3
NYCourtney
eBook Producer

.opf is coded with:
<dc:language>en</dc:language>
...in the metadata.
Old 04-26-2011, 04:11 PM   #4
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
The language code looks ok. Did you try a reset, as I mentioned on your question on Kindleboards? Was the book indexed?
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 05:21 PM   #5
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Check the indexing status: go to Home, type '.' and then search items. This will list all the items it is still trying to index, I would guess the title you are having a problem with will be shown then.

As to _why_ it is having a problem, could be due to some sort of file corruption or maybe the html source was not well-formed or the conversion from epub didn't work out well.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-26-2011, 05:44 PM   #6
NYCourtney
eBook Producer

Thank you for the handy tip on the Home, '.' check. But, that gives me "No Items." So I can only assume it has run through the book.

I can only imagine that I have used some code in the ePub file that can not be purged by the .mobi converters and is corrupting the .mobi file or is actually being "read" by the search functionality's programming (and thereby displaying the xhtml code in the results). I have no clue what this could be. I've purged all of the code that I could possibly think to cause this... the xhtml coding is obviously not corrupted, as the ePub functions without a hiccup on all of my other readers.

Thank you for your help! This is very frustrating...
Old 04-26-2011, 05:50 PM   #7
NYCourtney
eBook Producer

I have tried a factory reset to rule out caching issues. The software and firmware are also current.
The book is indexed with approximately 1000 linked entries.
Thank you also Susan!

Tags
"no results", code, search