Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Interead COOL-ER

Notices

Old 04-04-2011, 05:35 PM   #1
Barracuda
Barracuda began at the beginning.

Device: Cool-Er
Cool-er frozen

Hello there I am new here and My coll-er has frozen.
I have tried to re-install the firmware with the battery in and with it out.

The computer wont even recognise that any devise is connected and I am just lost without my books to read.

The dots on the bottom come on but nothing more, any advice?

I Live in Iceland so no chance to find anyone to fix it and I bought it with my crash settlements so cant afford another.

any advice would be very welcome

Regards, Barracuda
Barracuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 03:50 AM   #2
panda53
Connoisseur
panda53 has a spectacular aura aboutpanda53 has a spectacular aura aboutpanda53 has a spectacular aura aboutpanda53 has a spectacular aura aboutpanda53 has a spectacular aura aboutpanda53 has a spectacular aura aboutpanda53 has a spectacular aura aboutpanda53 has a spectacular aura aboutpanda53 has a spectacular aura aboutpanda53 has a spectacular aura aboutpanda53 has a spectacular aura about

Device: Kobo Touch and shared Kindle
I had a different problem last week, after over a year of trouble free reading.

Thankfully, I reinstalled the firmware and it's now working fine.

I've never removed the battery...

Have you tried reinstalling the firmware using a different sd card? And remember, you need to unpack the files onto the sd card... for it to work.

Good luck,
panda53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-05-2011, 04:06 PM   #3
Barracuda

Thank you, I lost my 1 gb card and had to buy a new 2 gb card to reinstall firmware but it is not working, I have formatted the card, and i do unpack the files into it but still only the 7 dots at the bottom show up

this is just driving me up the walls
Old 04-06-2011, 02:33 AM   #4
Cyberman tM
Evangelist
Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Inkbook Prime; Icarus Illumina;ImcoV6l;EB600;Kobo
Just to be sure - you know you have to press the keys during startup?

Also, it might be worth a try to use a different SD card. I think there might be problems with some card manufacturers. Not sure why that is so.

If it doesn't work at first, try multiple times - for some reason it took me several tries to install another firmware.

BTW, you only used the Cool-Er firmware, right?
Cyberman tM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 07:47 AM   #5
Barracuda

I know what keys to press I have done this several times before.
I only have this new SD card and cant afford another one (disability pension sucks)

it is sandisk 2 gb sd card, the ones I had before that I cant find anywhere was also sandisk but a 1 gb card
I have tried many many many times and no result. and yes it is cooler firmware
Advert
Old 04-07-2011, 01:10 AM   #6
codeMonkey
Zealot
codeMonkey is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.codeMonkey is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.codeMonkey is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.codeMonkey is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.codeMonkey is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.codeMonkey is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.codeMonkey is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.codeMonkey is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.codeMonkey is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.codeMonkey is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.codeMonkey is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

Device: Cool-ER (running pocketbook firmware), Nokia N800, Nokia N900
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barracuda View Post
Thank you, I lost my 1 gb card and had to buy a new 2 gb card to reinstall firmware but it is not working, I have formatted the card, and i do unpack the files into it but still only the 7 dots at the bottom show up
You've done this before, but just to check: you unpacked the files onto the SD card, into the uppermost directory on the SD card, so if you're on Windows you go to E:\ (or wherever) and straight away you can see

ap
bin
dev

and others.

Still no luck?
Has anyone got an SD card you could borrow?
There was also mention of problems with cards above 4GB, so if you can borrow one make sure it's small.
codeMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 07:27 AM   #7
Barracuda

Yes I made sure the separate folders go straight into the main directory on the SD card.

No one around me has SD card I could borrow, but then I live in a middle of nowhere.

when I press the start button on the cooler nothing happens.

I am seriously starting to cast covetous eyes on kindle 3 even though it would cost me up to 300 us dollars to import one to here
Old 05-13-2011, 04:08 PM   #8
Hunxstar
Hunxstar began at the beginning.

Device: Cool -er
Firmware upgrade problems

Quote:

this is just driving me up the walls

I have the exact same problem - I have tried on 2 different cards, and tried MANY times but have the same issue....
Once the screen showed that it was upgrading the firmware, then it just showed the 7 dots and then nuthin'. Aaarrgghh!
- I am tempted to try to install a different firmware on it, but as I am stuck with this issue, I can't do that, and am also mightily confused as to which alternative f/ware to use.
As I appear to have nothing to lose, I will try anything!
Can anybody help me and Barracuda PLEASE?

Last edited by Hunxstar; 05-13-2011 at 04:16 PM.
Hunxstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 05:59 PM   #9
Qxr
Enthusiast
Qxr knows what time it isQxr knows what time it isQxr knows what time it isQxr knows what time it isQxr knows what time it isQxr knows what time it isQxr knows what time it isQxr knows what time it isQxr knows what time it isQxr knows what time it isQxr knows what time it is

Device: lbook V3, iRex DR800SG
I'd try installing this http://booq.s3.amazonaws.com/bq_OS_2.3.zip or this http://shinebook.eu/scripts/Shineboo...7-20101123.rar twice (usually, one try is not enough). If it works, you will be able to install the Cool-er's firmware over it.

Last edited by Qxr; 05-17-2011 at 06:11 PM.
Qxr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 04:03 PM   #10
Hunxstar
Hunxstar began at the beginning.

Device: Cool -er
Thanks QXR, it's been a little while since I had a chance as I have been busy, but I finally got a chance to try several different firmwares, including booq 2.1, Pocketbook, Pi. After having no luck (tried at least 6 times for each fimware), I went and downloaded the Shinebook firmware. I thought I would try the Cooler 1.12.10-1 one more time before I tried the Shinebook, and about the 4th time I tried the Cooler one, IT TOOK! HOORAY!!! I really thought I had bricked it, so when it finally worked, I was, sorry to say, actually dancing about with relief! I figure that now it works (so much smoother and faster! ) I shan't mess with it anymore; I have got all the firmwares backed up now, so for the moment, it's working - now if only I could get the skinning to work...I'm kinda wanting penguins now....

thanks again for the reply, I love my Cooler, this could be the start of a beautiful friendship!

Hunxstar
Hunxstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 06:44 AM   #11
Barracuda

ok my aunt had a 1 gb SD card and i change borrowed it to try and it worked

hehe now she has 2 gb card for her camera and my cool-er works! omg I am so happy
Old 05-23-2011, 07:11 AM   #12
Poppaea
Lucifer's Bat
Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunxstar View Post
... about the 4th time I tried the Cooler one, IT TOOK! HOORAY!!! I really thought I had bricked it, so when it finally worked, I was, sorry to say, actually dancing about with relief! I figure that now it works (so much smoother and faster! ) I shan't mess with it anymore; I have got all the firmwares backed up now, so for the moment, it's working - now if only I could get the skinning to work...I'm kinda wanting penguins now....

thanks again for the reply, I love my Cooler, this could be the start of a beautiful friendship!

Hunxstar
Quote:
ok my aunt had a 1 gb SD card and i change borrowed it to try and it worked

hehe now she has 2 gb card for her camera and my cool-er works! omg I am so happy
I am glad for you2!!!!
Poppaea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 09:21 AM   #13
manktelr
manktelr began at the beginning.

Device: cool-er
I've got the same problem, only the 3 squares appear at the bottom of the screen (Only had the reader 3 days before I decided to update firmware causing this problem, seriously annoyed to find out it couldn't be done by USB).

Have tried the Cool-er firmware mentioned in above thread, also have tried the shinebox firmware, all multiple times on 2 different SD cards the first a 1gig generic the 2nd a 4gig generic one (its over 4gigs that issues arise with isn't it?)

Here is the steps I have been taking.

Format SD card to FAT, setting allocation unit size to default (is this correct allocation)

Open firmware using Winrar, open first folder in Winrar and extract the multiple folders and files inside into the SD card root directory.

Eject the SD card

Insert the SD card into cool-er, plug cool-er into pc via usb (i've tried this step reversed)

At this point the light turns on at top of the cool-er

Holding enter key and 3rd key down on left handside (the back function key I think)
I then press the reset button on back

90% of the time nothing happens however on a few (less than five occasions) the cool-er seems to reset itself however it still gets stuck on the 3 black blocks (though at one stage it did reach 7 black blocks before freezing)

Does anybody see any problems with my procedure.

Is there any other firmwares that may work?

I know I need to try more SD cards but 2 is all I have access to at the minute

Is there a factory reset I've tried this one to no effect

Resetting the device
There's a reset to factory setting which can fix some issues. You have to press the menu button (left side, 4th button) and hold until the led blinks, press and hold the + key until the led blinks, and then press the - key
manktelr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 03:54 PM   #14
julio:map
julio:map began at the beginning.

Device: Cool-er
Quote:
Originally Posted by manktelr View Post
I've got the same problem, only the 3 squares appear at the bottom of the screen (Only had the reader 3 days before I decided to update firmware causing this problem, seriously annoyed to find out it couldn't be done by USB).
The good news is that Bricks don't show dots, so your device seems to be working well.

The dots are steps in the booting procedure, and at some point it fails. (it doesm't show six points).

Quote:
Originally Posted by manktelr View Post
Format SD card to FAT, setting allocation unit size to default (is this correct allocation)
I'm not an expert, but the problem maybe here. Either your SD is not recognized (surprisingly it may work perfectly with books in "normal" usage but not be good for firmware updates), or the system is expecting a FAT32 formated device.

Try with this one with FAT32, and if it doesn't work find another SD card.

Good luck.
julio:map is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 06:24 PM   #15
janaltus
janaltus began at the beginning.

Device: Cooler
I got to the point of pulling my hair out each and every time my Cool-Er froze. Following the instructions in the Youtube video:
http://youtu.be/lyXNc464mlg
I was successful on the second attempt (Although I installed Version 1.12.10 - the source was in the comments section of the video).

Yippee!
janaltus is offline   Reply With Quote