Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > BeBook

Notices

View Poll Results: Should the Neo and Boox threads be combined?
YES! The hardware is the same. 43 82.69%
I don't see why its necessary... 2 3.85%
NO! They are different Brands. 4 7.69%
No, but move the Neo into its own sub forum. 3 5.77%
Voters: 52. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-19-2010, 06:03 AM   #1
Fith
Enthusiast
Fith began at the beginning.

Device: BeBook Neo / Onyx Boox 60
Should the Neo and the Boox be in the same forum?

As the hardware for the Neo and the Onyx Boox are the same, should they be in the same forum?

In the short term, the information is the same for both as there is little divergence between the two. I have a feeling that more info and exchange will occur in the Boox forum and think the community would benefit by converging the two.

In the BeBook forum we will have to tease the information from between the other two ebook formats of differing hardware. Yes you have provided a TAG to the thread but as can be seen from the few posts already, its not been seen/used/understod...

There could also be duplication / lost information (understanding) too as threads are not kept up to date.
If you see what I mean...

Last edited by Fith; 03-22-2010 at 05:45 AM.
Fith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 08:50 AM   #2
ill_dawg
21st Century Digital Boy
ill_dawg began at the beginning.

Device: HTC TyTN 2, onyx boox
People will be asking a lot of the same questions and getting the same answers. I'd like to see it all in one place.

just my .02
ill_dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 08:54 AM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
We discussed this during the forum reorg, but the consensus of opinion was that people would find it confusing to go to the BeBook forum if they had an Onyx Boox (or vice versa, if we did it the other way around).
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 09:47 AM   #4
Zetmolm
Guru
Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook Touch (622), PocketBook Touch Lux 2, Pocketbook Touch HD 3
Quote:
the consensus of opinion was that people would find it confusing to go to the BeBook forum if they had an Onyx Boox (or vice versa, if we did it the other way around)
I can understand that, but the price we pay for avoiding this confusion is that people now need to go to both forums in order not to miss anything.
Zetmolm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 10:26 AM   #5
redbaron101
Zealot
redbaron101 began at the beginning.

Device: palm t3, iphone, bebook (hanlin v3 clone)
as far as Im concerned both devices are the same, just firmwares differ slightly, but its the same with the hanlin v3 and all its numerous clones (like bebook one, lbook, papyrus, ez reader, astek, wbook, pixelar etc). Are you then going have a seperate section for all the hanlin v3 clones?

Last edited by redbaron101; 03-19-2010 at 10:31 AM.
redbaron101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 11:46 AM   #6
Stormchild
Evangelist
Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook 1. BeBook Mini. BeBook Neo and Club. BeBook Live. BeeBook Pure.
Harry. I am sure that everybody appreciates the work you and the other Mods have done so please don't take any of this as criticism. There really was no need for BeBook to have it's own forum. The BeBook one and Mini both sit comfortably in a general Hanlin forum in fact the same argument applies in that people have to scan both forums to get the same information. The Neo and Boox are really the same and would benefit from being together their own forum so that we can share information and new development. Just don't put the Robertb show back in the Hanlins, please.

Stormchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 04:05 PM   #7
Fith
Enthusiast

I was a bit rushed for time when I posted the original thread so I wasn't that clear on why I feel they should be joined.

I think that the Onyx/Neo is a platform that will grow. Buy that I mean that other apps can be written for it. It has WiFi and touch so can be useful in many ways. You only have to look at the Onyx firmware updates and the dictionaries to see that development under that Name will be faster and more imaginative than any official BeBook branding. One of the first things I'm looking for as a Neo owner is how to switch between Neo and Boox firmwares so that I can try them out...

By default I think it applies to all clones, clear labelling is obviously important. However at the moment I'm only interested in Boox/Neo I also appreciate how difficult it is to set up an forum so that it is easy to navigate and not duplicate. Splitting the forum once its packed with posts is even harder though.

If I hadn't found this forum, I wouldn't have bought a Neo though, so keep up the good work!

Last edited by Fith; 03-19-2010 at 04:07 PM.
Old 03-20-2010, 01:52 PM   #8
Delta Tango
Groupie
Delta Tango can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Delta Tango can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Delta Tango can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Delta Tango can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Delta Tango can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Delta Tango can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Delta Tango can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Delta Tango can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Delta Tango can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Delta Tango can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Delta Tango can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: Onyx Boox
Voted "Yes".

One alternative that came to me is to have separate forums, but adding a sticky (which is a link) to the top which will help to quickly jump from one forum to another... if you know what I mean.
Delta Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 09:13 AM   #9
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

So what specifically are you proposing? That the Onyx should be added into the BeBook forum, or that there should be one forum for the Neo/Onyx, and a separate one for the other BeBook devices?
Old 03-21-2010, 10:25 AM   #10
Delta Tango
Groupie
Delta Tango can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Delta Tango can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Delta Tango can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Delta Tango can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Delta Tango can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Delta Tango can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Delta Tango can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Delta Tango can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Delta Tango can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Delta Tango can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Delta Tango can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: Onyx Boox
Well I have nothing against two forums (leaving it as it is now).
I'm saying that it would probably help if there was a sticky here that leads over here and vice versa so you can easily go from one place to another.
Delta Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 12:31 PM   #11
Stormchild
Evangelist
Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
So what specifically are you proposing? That the Onyx should be added into the BeBook forum, or that there should be one forum for the Neo/Onyx, and a separate one for the other BeBook devices?
As I suggested earlier. Put the BeBook One and Mini back into the Hanlin forum and give the Onyx/Neo it's own forum.
Old 03-22-2010, 05:23 AM   #12
BeBook
BeBook began at the beginning.

Device: BeBook
Our thoughts.

We believe the threads should not be separated.

Here's why:
All of the BeBook readers have at least distinct software differences. As we're a fairly small company our goal is to maximize customer satisfation. We can communicate faster and adjust both soft- and hardware in a rapid paste if needed.

We do this in a number of fields.
- First up is finetuning the software and keep adding additions. Additions we made have been adopted numerous times by the hardware manufacturers themselves.
- There are hardware differences. Components might be adjusted or replaced, just like the software. These may even differ from different production batches. Changes made are always tested improvements.
- We take all comments seriously and will keep on monitoring this forum.
- In the future our range will be substantially extended with more makes and models, all having distinct differences.

Best regards, keep on reading,

The BeBook Team
BeBook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 05:40 AM   #13
Fith
Enthusiast

As Storm Child say's.

The Onyx+Neo in its own forum. In this case the Hardware should define the forum, not the branding.

If the One and Mini are Hanlin clones then back to that forum unless there are other factors taking precident.

I can see the arguments for Branding being the "primary sort" of the forums, not least of which that's how it started and it's almost impossible to restructure a forum with lots of posts.
If it's decided that Branding is the KEY to the forum structure, then at least split of all new Hardware in to its own sub forum under the Brand. What is relevant to one device has no correlation to the others, I don't want to have to pick the Neo posts from the other Bebooks. Especially as they are probably not labled in the post's title.
You could then, as suggested by DeltaTango, add text/links at the top detailing other clones/forums that match and may have info of interest in them. Not perfect for ME , but a definite work around so that people don't get lost in the forum.

It's not going to be easy to get it right and there are more clones are on the way... Best of Luck
Old 03-22-2010, 08:58 AM   #14
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fith View Post
If the One and Mini are Hanlin clones then back to that forum unless there are other factors taking precident.
So how many people would buy a BeBook Mini, have a question about it, and know that they should go to a "Hanlin" forum, do you suppose? I suspect the answer is very, very few.

We made the decision to go with "Brand name" forums, even if it does "split the knowledge", for the convenience of the majority of users.
Old 03-22-2010, 03:32 PM   #15
Stormchild
Evangelist

Fair enough Harry. I withdraw my standpoint.