Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

View Poll Results: Are you getting a Kindle Fire HDX?
Yes, I've already got mine! 10 18.87%
Yes, I've already ordered one! 4 7.55%
Yes, I am planning on buying one. 5 9.43%
No, I am not interested in the Kindle Fire HDX at all. 28 52.83%
I'm undecided at the moment. 6 11.32%
Voters: 53. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-27-2013, 07:03 PM   #61
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by spellbanisher View Post
The more you post the more it seems you regret buying the hdx. Does it have helvetica? That is the only font that matters to me.
Yes it does. No I don't regret it but I would like it to work you know. My replacement will be here tomorrow. I am just disappointed with the Reader it's like they focus on other stuff than making the Reader the best it could be.

I am hoping I get a good one this time. My current one is defective. The UI is currently grey and when reading books it flashes!

I love the form factor of the HDX it's lighter to me than a K3. The color is amazing when watching a movie or playing a game. It's just the reader that needs some TLC. Mantano works amazing on it. I love I no longer need to use Screen Dim when reading in the dark or the WiFi switch bar is no longer needed either.

All my books are in mobi and they show no TOC on the HDX. So I am having to learn a whole new format (KF8) and every book must be edited to work right. No more auto process. This is the biggest problem right there. If only my Mobi books worked right!

The problem with KF8 is the style sheet. I have to remove light height, then check the font sizes to be correct and then add the font-family to ever style with text so out of my 700 books I've got 26 done. This is going to take a while.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 07:31 PM   #62
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
It is ironic that here the posters have decided by 19 to 12 never to buy a Kindle Fire HDX 2013 while at the Amazon site there are 11,724 five star reviews to just 1,312 one star reviews or a ratio of 8.94 to 1 per this site:

http://www.amazon.com/kindle-fire-hd...owViewpoints=1
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 07:48 PM   #63
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirmaru View Post
It is ironic that here the posters have decided by 19 to 12 never to buy a Kindle Fire HDX 2013 while at the Amazon site there are 11,724 five star reviews to just 1,312 one star reviews or a ratio of 8.94 to 1 per this site:

It's an amazing tablet I would give it 4 stars! It doesn't get 5 stars because of the Reader issues.
Old 10-27-2013, 08:20 PM   #64
FanciFreez
Banned
FanciFreez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FanciFreez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FanciFreez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FanciFreez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FanciFreez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FanciFreez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FanciFreez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FanciFreez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FanciFreez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FanciFreez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FanciFreez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, KPW2, Nexus 7.2, iPad 4, Nook HD+
Quote:

The only problem in my opinion is the HDX is so restricted .. and I understand why Jeff Bezos (pronounced BAY-OS) is doing what he is doing.. he wants the rookie who reads books and who has heard tons about Kindle to buy it, and hopefully they don't know what they are doing and buy all their books from him.. smart move.. and millions of folks do.. I have seen it many times.. which is OK.. but the experienced buyers of tablets shy away..
FanciFreez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 08:33 PM   #65
WillysJeepMan
Guru
WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, KFHD7, GTab 8.4 Pro, iPadAir 2
Quote:

Wow you are making quite a leap in your logic.

It is safe to assume that all of those people who gave any rating on Amazon own an HDX. That's a 100% purchase rate. The poll here is the intent to buy one. Just because we wouldn't buy one doesn't mean we would rate it 1 star. I don't see why you are inferring anything by connecting the two stats.
WillysJeepMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 08:40 PM   #66
FanciFreez
Banned
FanciFreez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FanciFreez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FanciFreez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FanciFreez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FanciFreez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FanciFreez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FanciFreez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FanciFreez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FanciFreez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FanciFreez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FanciFreez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, KPW2, Nexus 7.2, iPad 4, Nook HD+
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillysJeepMan View Post
Wow you are making quite a leap in your logic.

It is safe to assume that all of those people who gave any rating on Amazon own an HDX. That's a 100% purchase rate. The poll here is the intent to buy one. Just because we wouldn't buy one doesn't mean we would rate it 1 star. I don't see why you are inferring anything by connecting the two stats.
Whatever you say.. You know more than I do..
FanciFreez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 09:06 PM   #67
spellbanisher
Guru
spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle keyboard, kindle fire hd, S4, Nook hd+
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
It's an amazing tablet I would give it 4 stars! It doesn't get 5 stars because of the Reader issues.
If a four is amazing, what is a five?
spellbanisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 09:52 PM   #68
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by spellbanisher View Post
If a four is amazing, what is a five?
5 would be perfect as is, nothing needed. My Paperwhite one is 5 stars.
Old 10-28-2013, 01:11 AM   #69
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
5 would be perfect as is, nothing needed. My Paperwhite one is 5 stars.
When you say 'mobi has no TOC' are you referring to:
- no way to easily navigate to hyperlinked TOC (hyperlinked chapter list usually found at front of book)
- does not display 'NCX view' (pop up with navigational TOC)
- or both

Many books don't have NCX of course.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 01:17 AM   #70
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
When you say 'mobi has no TOC' are you referring to:
- no way to easily navigate to hyperlinked TOC (hyperlinked chapter list usually found at front of book)
- does not display 'NCX view' (pop up with navigational TOC)
- or both

Many books don't have NCX of course.
There is no way to get to the TOC so if you are in the middle of the book you would have to say bookmark the TOC that Calibre puts at the beginning of the book or the back of the book depending on the setting.

All other Kindles I own show a TOC or link to the TOC. On the KFv1 all you have to do to get to the TOC is click the menu button on the HDX there is no way to get to a TOC unless it's shows on the left slide menu. Mobi books don't show a TOC on the left slide menu it's blank.
Old 10-28-2013, 01:20 AM   #71
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by beckywc View Post
Noah (5th Street Series) by Elizabeth Reyes is mobi format and has a TOC.
My version of Noah is in AZW3 format. Not mobi. Can you name another one?
Old 10-28-2013, 06:31 AM   #72
beckywc
Addict
beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini w/Retina, Kindle 3, Kindle Fire HDX 8.9, & Asus Transformer
Quote:
My version of Noah is in AZW3 format. Not mobi. Can you name another one?

The Adultry Club by Tess Stimson is mobi format.
beckywc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 02:17 PM   #73
Bobioden
Connoisseur
Bobioden could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Bobioden could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Bobioden could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Bobioden could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Bobioden could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Bobioden could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Bobioden could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Bobioden could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Bobioden could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Bobioden could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Bobioden could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: iPad rMini
My only concern is I am on a Mac, and my 4000+ books are in Calibre. There seems to be no way to connect the HDX to Calibre, or even use the Calibre Companion app which does not work with HDX.

Can the book reader Aldiko be used with the HDX? Will Google Play ever be available for the HDX?

I am looking to replace my dated Nook Tablet, and love the look, and options of the HDX, just don't think it would work for me.
Bobioden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 03:05 PM   #74
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobioden View Post
My only concern is I am on a Mac, and my 4000+ books are in Calibre. There seems to be no way to connect the HDX to Calibre, or even use the Calibre Companion app which does not work with HDX.

Can the book reader Aldiko be used with the HDX? Will Google Play ever be available for the HDX?

I am looking to replace my dated Nook Tablet, and love the look, and options of the HDX, just don't think it would work for me.
Yes Aldiko can be sideloaded or Mantano can be sideloaded. I use Dropbox to hold my library then use ES File Explorer's Dropbox feature to transfer multiple books to the HDX. Works well for me. ES File Explorer is an awesome app! You can use the LAN feature to transfer files from computer to the HDX or use the new connect feature to transfer files from Device to Device or the Cloud feature that works with several cloud services.

However if you're just going to read epub them you might want to look at the Nexus 7 which has very similar specs and Google Play. If you are already in Amazon's system or plan to convert then you'd like the HDX better.

The best thing about the HDX is the form factor. It's so thin and light! It's like holding a eReader not a heavy tablet. The worst thing about the HDX is the blue border it just messes up the beauty of the screen. Battery life could be better. My replacement's battery is alot better then the original one but the blue border is worse on this one.
Old 10-31-2013, 02:25 PM   #75
misling
Zealot
misling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.misling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.misling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.misling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.misling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.misling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.misling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.misling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.misling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.misling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.misling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
I've been considering the HDX. I had the original Kindle Fire, and I have the HD now. I love the hardware (played with it in Best Buy) and some of the improvements to the OS, such as hiding the carousel. And at first I was all "I want it". But I've reconsidered.
1. Wifi usage.
I don't read on my HD. I read on my Kindle Keyboard ereader. Yet the Kindle app on the HD, this month, has been continually "syncing". I've never downloaded any books to this device. I suppose it keeps info about my library on the HD but I wish it wouldn't. I've shut off every option having to do with whispersync, auto update, etc but nothing helps. I'm on limited bandwidth, 5G/month, and this month is the 4th time this year that the Kindle HD will put me over my bandwidth limit and cost me money, this month it's the kindle app using up 1.6 G in 10 days, 3 other times it was updates that came at the end of my cycle - and no option to NOT get them until I was on free wifi.
My Nexus 7 2013, on the other hand, behaves itself and never loads anything I haven't asked it to, once I set the no-sync and no-auto-update options. I can go into wifi setup and designate my hotspot as a paid connection, and then it doesn't ever use it without my permission, even for things that DO auto-update. Love that feature.
2. Games.
That's what I do on my HD. Play games and surf the web. And the games in the Amazon store are always behind on updates. And yes, I know it's because Amazon reviews the updates before posting them, but it's just unacceptable. For example TODAY I got the Amazon update to my town building game for Halloween. All the quests are due by Halloween (today) so I can't even play them. On my Nexus 7 2013, the same game, I got the update 6 weeks ago. I've seen them lag by 3 months.

Thing is, I can't see that either of those issues have been fixed on the HDX. And they spoil my fun, much as I like the device itself.

I've also got my eye on a Samsung 8" tablet. Love even holding that thing. But the price is steep...

Last edited by misling; 10-31-2013 at 02:30 PM. Reason: insert linefeed
misling is offline   Reply With Quote