Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 05-21-2013, 06:10 AM   #1
roger64
Wizard
roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW3 (wifi)
Bird display on the side of a text page

Hi

From time to time, I bump on these kinds of things. I'd like to find a practical solution for this one:

As you can see, It's a bird (head + tail) placed in the green area and standing on the left side of a page. My dream would be to know how to wrap the text around (intended light blue display).

I even cut the bird in two pieces and tried to stick the pieces together but I failed miserably (it worked for one font-size, but increase it and the tail goes away... )

Would somebody accept to publish here the relevant code?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	intended display .jpg
Views:	291
Size:	17.6 KB
ID:	106077   Click image for larger version

Name:	bird.jpg
Views:	289
Size:	43.3 KB
ID:	106078   Click image for larger version

Name:	head.jpg
Views:	295
Size:	63.5 KB
ID:	106079   Click image for larger version

Name:	tail.jpg
Views:	295
Size:	20.5 KB
ID:	106080  

Last edited by roger64; 05-21-2013 at 06:17 AM.
roger64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 07:19 AM   #2
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
I know in the Alice in Wonderland book these kind of things are done. However, I never got it to work and validate.
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 09:10 AM   #3
roger64
Wizard
roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

mistake

Last edited by roger64; 05-21-2013 at 04:33 PM. Reason: double post
Old 05-21-2013, 09:35 AM   #4
roger64
Wizard

@Toxaris

Thanks. Indeed, there are two images of this kind in this book (numbered 23 et 41). I will try to copy from them. If I succeed, I will post the code here with some comments. I said: "If"...
Old 05-21-2013, 09:56 AM   #5
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by roger64 View Post
Hi

From time to time, I bump on these kinds of things. I'd like to find a practical solution for this one:

As you can see, It's a bird (head + tail) placed in the green area and standing on the left side of a page. My dream would be to know how to wrap the text around (intended light blue display).

I even cut the bird in two pieces and tried to stick the pieces together but I failed miserably (it worked for one font-size, but increase it and the tail goes away... )

Would somebody accept to publish here the relevant code?
There is a whole thread that is playing with things like this down in EPUB format:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...9&postcount=11
If yo look at the attachment in the linked message , it can be done
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 10:21 AM   #6
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
Yes, I know that thread. However, I do not get it to work and keep it validated though.
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 10:35 AM   #7
mrmikel
Color me gone
mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-300
I wonder if it was a Sony quirk.
mrmikel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 11:57 AM   #8
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmikel View Post
I wonder if it was a Sony quirk.
Sony use MRSDK (ADE) which is known to be quirky
The question is:'Do you wish to leave a large audience in the lurch?"
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 05:56 PM   #9
RbnJrg
Wizard
RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 NT
Something like this:?

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/att...1&d=1369173498

I made it with the following classes:

Code:
p {
  text-align: justify;
  margin: 0;
}

.parrot {
  background: url(../Images/bird.jpg) no-repeat top left;
  background-size: 183px 307px; /* the half of 366px and 614px*/
}

.box1 {
  float: left;
  top: 0;
  left: 0;
  width: 183px; /* the half of the original width: 366px;*/
  height: 195px; /* the half of the original height: 390px; (for the square section of the img */
}

.box2 {
  clear: left;
  float: left;
  top: 0;
  left: 0;
  width: 60px; /*120px;*/
  height: 100px; /*200px;*/
}
In the .xhtml file the text goes in the following way:

Code:
<p>...something...</p>
<div class="parrot">
<p class="box1"></p>
<p class="box2"></p>
<p>...something...</p>
</div>
Maybe that code can help you.

Regards
Rubén
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	screen_shot-4941.gif
Views:	598
Size:	48.7 KB
ID:	106099  
Attached Files
File Type: epub Parrot.epub (11.5 KB, 321 views)

Last edited by RbnJrg; 05-21-2013 at 09:29 PM.
RbnJrg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 06:19 PM   #10
mrmikel
Color me gone
mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-300
This is what happens in the Sony Reader Library.

It bleeds over.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	parrot.jpg
Views:	304
Size:	276.6 KB
ID:	106104  
mrmikel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 07:08 PM   #11
RbnJrg
Wizard
RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:

It bleeds over.
Maybe it's a problem of the Sony Reader and in the Sony device works fine. Let's wait for the answer of roger64 to know if it works for him.
Old 05-21-2013, 07:42 PM   #12
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
It does not work in ADE 1.7.2 or ADE 2.0.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 07:54 PM   #13
RbnJrg
Wizard

Quote:

It bleeds over.
Well, the problem in the Sony Reader is that the reader doesn't resize the image. The original image was 366px x 614px and in the css code I used the half of that size. But Sony Reader still uses the original size so it ignores the property background-size. I resized the image manually before using it in the .epub and I got the following results in Sony Reader:
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Parrot.jpg
Views:	292
Size:	139.7 KB
ID:	106107  
Attached Files
File Type: epub Parrot.epub (11.5 KB, 251 views)

Last edited by RbnJrg; 05-21-2013 at 09:30 PM.
Old 05-21-2013, 08:03 PM   #14
RbnJrg
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
It does not work in ADE 1.7.2 or ADE 2.0.
Hi JSWolf;

After resizing manually the original image before using in the .epub (see my last version of it), I got the following result in ADE 2.0.67532. So the solution is to use an image of the desired size and not to use css in order to resize it (in Kindle works with any size of image).
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Parrot2.jpg
Views:	245
Size:	180.3 KB
ID:	106109  
Attached Files
File Type: epub Parrot.epub (11.5 KB, 277 views)

Last edited by RbnJrg; 05-21-2013 at 09:31 PM.
Old 05-22-2013, 01:55 AM   #15
roger64
Wizard

@RbnJrg

Hi Jorge

Thanks so much for your help. I have really spent hours trying to do it and had given up. Your EPUB looks good. I will study it closely and look how it displays on Kobo and later how it goes to PDF with Prince.

ADE is OK. Prince too. The only thing, Kobo does not agree (text mixes with image), but Kobo is backward on so many fields with formatting, I find it hardly surprising.

The code cannot be more compact and clearer. Use of background, background-size (I noted for this one to be careful) and boxes is really very convenient.

Last edited by roger64; 05-22-2013 at 02:52 AM.