Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 10-18-2007, 02:20 PM   #1
patchamberlin
patchamberlin began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
For business use?

I want to find an eReader that I can use to store all my related project files, i.e. Word docs, PowerPoint, Excel, Contacts and Calendar from Outlook. Can anyone suggest which eReader would be appropirate for this kind of use?
patchamberlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 03:10 PM   #2
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: TWO Kindle 2s, one each Bookeen Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS-500, Axim X51V
Quote:
Originally Posted by patchamberlin View Post
I want to find an eReader that I can use to store all my related project files, i.e. Word docs, PowerPoint, Excel, Contacts and Calendar from Outlook. Can anyone suggest which eReader would be appropirate for this kind of use?
The simple answer - none.

What you need is a full-function palmtop computer, such as the new Nokia N810 (which I'm not sure will interface with MS Calendar or Outlook/Outlook Express) or a PDA like the Dell Axim x51 series or HP series. The killer point here is the need to sync with Calendar, Outlook and Powerpoint. Those are Microsoft apps, so you'd be better off getting a PDA which already has Pocket Word, Pocket Excel, etc. And that means a PDA running Windows Mobile.

Derek
delphidb96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-18-2007, 03:32 PM   #3
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
I agree that existing eReaders won't work. One possibility is a UMPC running Windows or Vista. UMPC Portal is the best single source for info on such devices. In the US, Dynamism has the largest selection and the Raon Everun is a good choice - if its screen isn't too small.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2007, 02:32 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Agreed. You need a PDA/UMPC, not an eBook Reader.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2007, 05:54 AM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by patchamberlin View Post
The closest eink based device you'll find that fits hat you want is the iRex iLiad. And even then, it won't do what you want well enough. You are best with a PDA or UMC which will do what you want the way you want.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-19-2007, 01:05 PM   #6
patchamberlin

For business use?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
The closest eink based device you'll find that fits hat you want is the iRex iLiad. And even then, it won't do what you want well enough. You are best with a PDA or UMC which will do what you want the way you want.
All I wanted to do was be able to read Word, Excel, and PowerPoint files as PDF's, would the iRex be ok for that?
Old 10-19-2007, 01:08 PM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Yes the iRex iLiad would be good for reading PDF. The thing to do is set the page size appropriately to the screen and it'll come out quite nice
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2007, 04:06 PM   #8
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: TWO Kindle 2s, one each Bookeen Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS-500, Axim X51V
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Yes the iRex iLiad would be good for reading PDF. The thing to do is set the page size appropriately to the screen and it'll come out quite nice
But it won't handle Excel and Powerpoint files. And I don't know about Word files either. Then there's the fact that you can't really *input* data into these, or can you?

Derek
delphidb96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 08:30 AM   #9
patchamberlin

For business use?

Quote:
Originally Posted by delphidb96 View Post
But it won't handle Excel and Powerpoint files. And I don't know about Word files either. Then there's the fact that you can't really *input* data into these, or can you?

Derek
I'm guessing that I can make PDF's of any file type including Excel and Powerpoint. I've no need to input (I'll use my laptop for modifying files) all I really want to do is read the files and apply some basic mark-up for updating later. From what I've read I undersstand that the iRex offers basic stylus based annotation.
Old 10-22-2007, 09:08 AM   #10
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Yes, you could generate PDFs, but wouldn't you be better off with a device which can handle these file formats natively? Sounds as if you're trying to find an excuse to buy an eInk machine .
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 09:31 AM   #11
HappyMartin
Martin Kristiansen
HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle International Ipad 2
Go on, buy an iLiad, you know you want to. I used the excuse about how much money I would save in the long run.

Jokes aside it is surprisingly useful for work.
HappyMartin is offline   Reply With Quote