Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 09-05-2010, 07:49 PM   #1
guiyoforward
Zealot
guiyoforward is a jewel in the roughguiyoforward is a jewel in the roughguiyoforward is a jewel in the roughguiyoforward is a jewel in the roughguiyoforward is a jewel in the roughguiyoforward is a jewel in the roughguiyoforward is a jewel in the roughguiyoforward is a jewel in the roughguiyoforward is a jewel in the roughguiyoforward is a jewel in the roughguiyoforward is a jewel in the rough

Device: Kindle DX Graphite
Download and save MOBI files to Kindle over 3g?

Hi everyone, I'm looking for a setup to deliver content automatically from my computer to my kindle DXG. I would happily pay $.15 per mb, but I'm not in the US and it's $.99 per MB, a bit too much I think.
Now, I can manage to get a lot of my "read later" content from Instapaper, and the URL www.instapaper.com/mobi (WHEN LOGGED ON...) directly downloads a mobi file to my browser. There was a trick for project guttenberg to have the books downloaded to the kindle, anyone knows if that can be done with other sites? It would save me connecting and copying the files...
Many thanks!
guiyoforward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 08:03 PM   #2
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
There was a trick for project guttenberg to have the books downloaded to the kindle, anyone knows if that can be done with other sites?
Sure. I have the Calibre content-server running on my pc. I create a mobi file that contains the content-server links to all of my books and load that book on my Kindle. Then I can search that ebook for the title/author I'm looking for, click the link, enter my password and bam! I'm reading the book.

I could just use the Calibre content-server, but the Kindle browser really blows for searching/browsing websites.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-19-2010, 08:55 AM   #3
peterm
peterm began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Hi,

I have the international 3G version and I the download of mobi files via the Kindle browser directly onto the Kindle does not work for me. E.g. I am surfing at getabstract.com or manybooks.net, click the mobi download link - Kindle asks me if I am sure & that the book will appear on my home screen after downloading, but still after a few minutes there is nothing there.

Any clues?
peterm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 10:53 AM   #4
peterm
peterm began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
False alarm - it just took a couple of minutes more to download the content, it works
peterm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 10:56 AM   #5
Tiersten
Guru
Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.

Device: Kindle 3G+WiFi
Yeah. Despite what the cell carriers say, 3G generally isn't as blazingly fast as they claim. Good that its working.
Tiersten is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert