Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 04-15-2010, 11:49 PM   #1
mrgiedrnkr
Enthusiast
mrgiedrnkr began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Fictionwise books directly into iPad

Hi there! I was wondering if there was an app that will allow me to download directly from fictionwise to my iPad without hacking the books. I have one on my iPhone but it wasn't full size on the iPad and didn't appear to have an upgrade. Was wondering what app people were using to read DRM'd Ereader books.
Thanks
Stacy
mrgiedrnkr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 04:58 AM   #2
rfog
Guru
rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lots of eInk devices and iOS stuff
BookShelf has the ability to connect to some servers.

Perhaps you can configure and add a new one to connect to FW.

BTW FW send the ebook zipped and with other files as well.

I'm not sure if BookShelf can deal with that.
rfog is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-16-2010, 11:33 AM   #3
johnnaryry
Connoisseur
johnnaryry doesn't litterjohnnaryry doesn't litter

Device: 64GB Apple iPad 3 WiFi, 32GB Apple iPhone 4S
eReader has the ability to connect to both your eReader and your FictionWise bookshelves.
johnnaryry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 01:04 PM   #4
thianliongpatpoh
Zealot
thianliongpatpoh doesn't litterthianliongpatpoh doesn't litterthianliongpatpoh doesn't litter

Device: iPad
But only when you purchase the ebook in ereader format, correct? I have quite a number of .lit from FW which is now 'defunct'. Lucky I delivered them from DRM a long time ago.
thianliongpatpoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 11:50 PM   #5
leebase
Karma Kameleon
leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPhone X, Kindle Fire Tab HD 8, Walmart Onn
The ereader for iPad is not out. The iPhone app worked fine and was able to read any book I bought from fictionwise

Lee
leebase is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-17-2010, 04:30 PM   #6
Inkygirl
iPadGirl
Inkygirl began at the beginning.

Device: iPad and iPhone
Fictionwise NOT working on an iPad-optimized version of eReader

I recently wrote the following to Customer Support at Fictionwise:

----
I’m a longtime customer of Fictionwise and I recently bought an iPad. All my ebooks from Fictionwise, however, are in the “recommended format” e.g. Secure eReader, but reading these ebooks on my iPad means I either have to read them iPhone size (too small for the iPad screen) OR blurry (increased to fill the size of the iPad screen).

Do you plan to develop an iPad version of eReader? If not, I regret that I’m not going to be making any further purchases from Fictionwise.

Debbie Ridpath Ohi
Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/ipadgirl
Blog: http://ipadgirl.posterous.com
-----

Their reply:

----
Hi,

Currently at this time, there are no plans to update the iPhone eReader app for iPad.

Thanks!

Best Regards,

Linda
Fictionwise Support Team
----

Not happy about this, nor with Fictionwise’s uninformative form letter response.

:-(

Debbie

p.s. Any advice appreciated!

Last edited by Inkygirl; 05-11-2010 at 06:50 AM.
Inkygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 04:53 PM   #7
joffry
joffry began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
If you've already fixed the lit files, use calibre to convert to pdb files. Upload them to your personal content section at fictionwise and then you can access them from the ereader app on the ipad. The ereader app doesn't look as nice on the ipad as on the ipod, little blury but still works fine. The only other alternative is to convert to epub and then side load thru itunes.
joffry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 05:17 AM   #8
rfog
Guru
rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lots of eInk devices and iOS stuff
That's one of the reasons I fight against DRM stuff. The ebooks are yours (well you have the right to read them whatever you want and where you want). Nobody can forbid me to read my pBooks in the kitchen or in the WC, and nobody can forbid me do the same with my eBooks.

Then your only solution is "delouse" the DRM of your eBooks and read with other programs. BookShelf is a good product that supports a bunch of formats (incluiding most pdb variants).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inkygirl View Post
I recently wrote the following to Customer Support at Fictionwise:

----
I’m a longtime customer of Fictionwise and I recently bought an iPad. All my ebooks from Fictionwise, however, are in the “recommended format” e.g. Secure eReader, but reading these ebooks on my iPad means I either have to read them iPhone size (too small for the iPad screen) OR blurry (increased to fill the size of the iPad screen).

Do you plan to develop an iPad version of eReader? If not, I regret that I’m not going to be making any further purchases from Fictionwise.

Debbie Ridpath Ohi
-----

Their reply:

----
Hi,

Currently at this time, there are no plans to update the iPhone eReader app for iPad.

Thanks!

Best Regards,

Linda
Fictionwise Support Team
----

Not happy about this, nor with Fictionwise’s uninformative form letter response.

:-(

Debbie

rfog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 10:50 AM   #9
Robotech_Master
Fanatic
Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inkygirl View Post
At the moment, all you can do is find the eReader DRM cracking tool, pdb2html, extract your eReader books, and then convert them to ePubs with Calibre. It will probably be pretty tedious if you have very many of them.

Either that or wait for the B&N app to be approved and see if there's some way to side-load your prior purchases into it.
Robotech_Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 11:16 AM   #10
mrgiedrnkr
Enthusiast
mrgiedrnkr began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Darn it! I am bummed at Fictionwise's response. I hack them all and have the ability to get them into iPad using iBooks. I just really enjoyed the direct connection I had with Fictionwise on my iTouch. I won't read that on my iPad as it is too small on the regular setting and too blurry on the 2x setting.
Stacy
mrgiedrnkr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 11:19 AM   #11
Robotech_Master
Fanatic
Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I know what you mean. I've been buying eReader-format e-books since the original Peanut Press. The Peanut-format A Fire Upon the Deep was the first e-book I ever paid for, and had been happy in the knowledge that my library was future-proof as long as Fictionwise kept cranking out its readers for new platforms.

I suppose I'll have to change over to the Kindle format now. Their books are probably about as cheap as e-books are going to get, and most of them are crackable.
Old 04-18-2010, 03:10 PM   #12
Inkygirl
iPadGirl

All the DRM-ridding solutions I've found online seem to be Windows only. Anyone have any advice for a Mac user? Fingers crossed...

p.s. This applies to books I have already purchased. I only need to have ONE copy of any e-book at any time -- I just want to move them to a new device. I'm assuming this is legal...if it's not, I'd appreciate someone telling me.

Last edited by Inkygirl; 04-18-2010 at 09:42 PM.
Old 04-18-2010, 03:12 PM   #13
Inkygirl
iPadGirl

I am also having trouble syncing my Fictionwise purchased books onto my iPad via the eReader/Stanza apps (blurry/small though they may look on the iPad). I'm not sure why since all the e-books are in the same format: secure eReader. Some will sync, some won't.

Anyone else having this problem?
Old 04-18-2010, 03:48 PM   #14
Robotech_Master
Fanatic

The DRM-ridding solutions I've found have all been scripts—Perl or Python—that you can execute on any device that can run a Perl or Python interpreter. (I can't say exactly where you can find them, given the policy of the board, but they're out there, especially on peer-to-peer networks. Google is your friend.)
Old 04-19-2010, 09:45 AM   #15
bookfanmd
Addict
bookfanmd has a spectacular aura aboutbookfanmd has a spectacular aura aboutbookfanmd has a spectacular aura aboutbookfanmd has a spectacular aura aboutbookfanmd has a spectacular aura aboutbookfanmd has a spectacular aura aboutbookfanmd has a spectacular aura aboutbookfanmd has a spectacular aura aboutbookfanmd has a spectacular aura aboutbookfanmd has a spectacular aura aboutbookfanmd has a spectacular aura about

Device: Sony 300/505/T1 Nook STWG Kobo Glo Kobo Aura HD KDX iPad1 K3 KT PW2
This post is helpful for bulk transfers from ereader to html: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=52492. Then you can use Calibre to conver to epub.
bookfanmd is offline   Reply With Quote