Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 03-12-2009, 02:03 AM   #1
jbruce
Connoisseur
jbruce has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Sony PRS 700
Content Listing: Harvard Classics Addendum (LRF)

So, here's the story.

Sony has 100 free classics until the end of the month. I have made a list of about 200 I want/need. Therefore, I'm searching for as many as I can that are ultimately free - with no stips. The ones I can't find "in the ether" - will get downloaded from Sony.

Just added the Harvard Classics set. Thank you! That thing takes care of most of my political documents and a good portion of the philosophy. But, I had to compare it against my list.

So, I made a list of which volumes had what (not as complete as I would like for a public release - the sciences were kinda skipped over). I then converted that HTML file to an LRF via Calibre - see attached.

Harvard Classics Addendum - Harvard Classics.lrf

I've been told you should avoid disclaimers as much as possible, but in this case I will make an exception:
(1) This is the first version of this I've made - wasn't planning for public release. (2) I've been tactility familiar with the inner workings of eBooks for about 3 days now. (3) I've made about 6 LRFs in my life.

Therefore, please, be gentle.

Cheers,
Josh

ps. I don't think I'm authorized to put this in the actual eBooks area - or if it's even desirable really - but, I figured someone might like it.
jbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 09:23 AM   #2
Spectrum
Zealot
Spectrum will become famous soon enoughSpectrum will become famous soon enoughSpectrum will become famous soon enoughSpectrum will become famous soon enoughSpectrum will become famous soon enoughSpectrum will become famous soon enough

Device: iPad 1 and iPad 4, KF HD 8.9"
Good job!
lrf is 19 pages of titles FYI.
Spectrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-12-2009, 09:36 AM   #3
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
Just so you know, that promo doesn't actually end at the end of the month. If you've already registered your device, if you look when you pick up a classic it says "Expires: NEVER."

I'm pretty sure they'll extend the authorization time as well. They always do.
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 10:27 AM   #4
jbruce
Connoisseur

So, I can disregard this message from Sony?

Quote:
Your 100 free eBooks Classics credit is good until March 31, 2009, so be sure to download all of your free titles by then.
The only other date with regard to this I've seen (and I might have been hallucinating) - said that I had until the end of April.
Old 03-12-2009, 10:31 AM   #5
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbruce View Post
So, I can disregard this message from Sony?

The only other date with regard to this I've seen (and I might have been hallucinating) - said that I had until the end of April.
Where did you see this message?

I downloaded a few about a week ago, maybe it has changed since then. I hope not, I have 49 left.
Advert
Old 03-12-2009, 10:38 AM   #6
nrapallo
GuteBook/Mobi2IMP Creator
nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: REB1200 EBW1150 Device: T1 NSTG iLiad_v2 NC Device: Asus_TF Next1 WPDN
You may want to refer to this thread: Park, Ted: Harvard Classics Author Index (RTF). v2. 16 Jun 2008 for an indexed listing of all titles in the Harvard Classics set.

It's a handy reference listing!
nrapallo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 11:05 AM   #7
jbruce
Connoisseur

Quote:
Where did you see this message?
Email from Sony when I registered and signed up to receive the titles.

Quote:
March 9, 2009 5:19:00 PM EDT

Thank you for your recent purchase and authorization of the Reader Digital Book at The eBook Store from Sony. To help get you started on your own eBook library, we have credited your account with 100 eBooks Classics from Sony which you can start downloading today. This credit is good for all Classics published by Sony Connect Inc. You will recognize the series by its distinct blue and white covers.

[...]

Your 100 free eBooks Classics credit is good until March 31, 2009, so be sure to download all of your free titles by then. You can review terms and conditions of our promotional offers and credits at http://ebookstore.sony.com/cardterms.

[...]

Enjoy your shopping spree!
If you find out otherwise - please let me know.

I have about 95 left. Just want to make sure each one counts.

@nrapallo

That would be handy - thanks. (I knew I couldn't have been the first to have such a thought.)
Old 03-12-2009, 11:31 AM   #8
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Email from Sony when I registered and signed up to receive the titles.

If you find out otherwise - please let me know.

I have about 95 left. Just want to make sure each one counts.

@nrapallo

That would be handy - thanks. (I knew I couldn't have been the first to have such a thought.)
I'll download one tonight and see what my coupon code says.

edit* just checked it now on my work computer, coupon code still says "Never expires."

Last edited by lilac_jive; 03-12-2009 at 11:35 AM.
Old 03-12-2009, 11:54 AM   #9
jbruce
Connoisseur

Here's where the April reference came from; so, I wasn't hallucinating.
Quote:
IMPORTANT: Authorization of your Reader Digital Book must occur by March 31, 2009 and the credits will expire on April 30, 2009.
How do I redeem my 100 Free Classics Promotion.

I'm gonna stick with the website for now - because (a) definitive date, and (b) is the closest/safest deadline.

Again, please, let me know what else you find.

Cheers,
Josh

ps. Might try calling Sony later on today.
Old 03-12-2009, 07:22 PM   #10
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Here's where the April reference came from; so, I wasn't hallucinating.

How do I redeem my 100 Free Classics Promotion.

I'm gonna stick with the website for now - because (a) definitive date, and (b) is the closest/safest deadline.

Again, please, let me know what else you find.

Cheers,
Josh

ps. Might try calling Sony later on today.
If you do, please let me know. I might have to rush to grab a bunch.
Old 03-13-2009, 12:40 PM   #11
jbruce
Connoisseur

Just called - the answer received was: Expires end of April.

So, you still have the rest of this month and next to figure out those other 49.
Old 03-13-2009, 07:14 PM   #12
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Just called - the answer received was: Expires end of April.

So, you still have the rest of this month and next to figure out those other 49.
NooooOOOOooooo!!!

Hopefully they'll change it...
Old 03-13-2009, 07:37 PM   #13
jbruce
Connoisseur

I'm putting together my list of 100 - downloading as I go. I can try to put together a list of "ether" titles and a list that seems only available at Sony - and post it.

Would that help at all with the fear of losing your future DLs? would hate for anyone to download something that would be free elsewhere - unless of course the forewards/translators are different.

I have about 250 books on mine right now. And, have continued to lumberjack my list from Sony.
Old 03-13-2009, 09:09 PM   #14
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
jbruce: It is a handy list and more detailed than the one I put together for the download links. I am pleased that you thought enough of the collection to provide an additional portable index document. Nick took Ted's prior index and created several useful products from that. (Nick also created all of the REB 1200 IMP versions from my originals so the main books are available in four (4) formats.)

The problem we have faced in converting the supplementary volumes of the series (such as the reading plan) is the originals were based on absolute page numbers. While it is possible to include the original page numbers in the test by enclosing them in braces ("{426}") or some other mark to set them off, it breaks the reading flow. To do a direct link set to the effective page number on a reader is impossible (given current technology) as these change between devices and between font sizes (and font face.)

I have been slowly (read: very slowly) working my way through the series making corrections in anticipation of a revised version 2 release. (Nick sends me gentle reminders every so often) and I do hope to offer a revised series to include ePub versions. I just do not have a time frame
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 09:47 PM   #15
jbruce
Connoisseur

Quote:
I have been slowly (read: very slowly) working my way through the series making corrections in anticipation of a revised version 2 release.
There are 52 books in the set - the slow isn't solely your own making.

Quote:
I am pleased that you thought enough of the collection to provide an additional portable index document.
The collection astounds me. I mean I've gone into bookstores and seen mention - but had no idea. These are some of the greatest documents in history IMO (by some of the greatest in history).

I actually had this crazy notion when I uploaded the file here.

Because an HTML document can be tagged to have Calibre separate the books and chapters - it would be possible to have all 52 books in one document (it would be huge - I know). But, a standard TOC could then be created (similar to the one here) - with active links. As well as two indices that could also act as TOC - one listed by author, the other listed by title (, and possibly one by primary topic).

Normal textbook manufacturers have people they can hire - who in turn create an index of keywords/topics - but I'm not that ambitious. What's more - I don't have the original texts to even begin a monumental undertaking such as that - but I would definitely be willing to give the others a go.

My sincerest gratitude to you, and those who aided and abetted the effort.

Cheers,
J

ps. I understand the page numbers. I was curious to know what advantage eReaders in general could have for a college student - if they couldn't cite the page number of the original text?

pps. I also do not know enough about the encoding of LRFs to take advantage of the actual TOC feature the 700 offers. Which it doesn't even look like Sony is fully taking advantage of in their classics series.

Last edited by jbruce; 03-13-2009 at 09:58 PM.