Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 03-12-2011, 09:37 PM   #181
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@mnglfiddle:

You shouldn't have to be root, unless your distro's USB setup is weird/stupid/misconfigured, but let's not delve into that .

But since you *are*, the file in question will be root's ~/.ssh/known_hosts not yours (so, most likely /root/.ssh/known_hosts).

If you haven't enabled the ssh over wifi setting, a blank (or anything, really) password should work, that's what the readme refers to. Check your config.

Last edited by NiLuJe; 03-12-2011 at 09:53 PM.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 09:20 PM   #182
mnglfiddle
mnglfiddle began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
I tried config both ways. Ssh over wifi is not presently enabled, but the device DOES most certainly demand a password, and apparently an exact one.

Matthew
mnglfiddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-15-2011, 09:33 PM   #183
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@mnglfiddle: Which version of the hack are you using?

A copy of a logfile generated by ;dumpMessages would help, too .

Last edited by NiLuJe; 03-16-2011 at 01:45 PM.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 09:47 AM   #184
mnglfiddle
mnglfiddle began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
I used the *0.6.N version of the hack. It seemed to be the latest...

I'll try to get the ;dumpMessages output for you. Sorry about the time it has taken to get back to the forum. I've been painfully busy.

I tried to login at a Starbucks yesterday, and looks like it would have done it. Problem is that the device's web browser would not load the sign in page. There is a special deal here (I'm in Shanghai, China) where you have to go a page that is connected to China Mobile (cell phone) service and register, whereupon China Mobile sends the password to your cell phone for that session. Web page probably uses some flash or something that the Kindle browser can't handle.

I tried another network in the hotel/business center where I happened to be meeting someone for business, but after the web page for that business network opened, I of course did not have a password, as I was not an employee there.

At any rate, my wireless on my device appears to be working fine, it just seems that I need to find a network into which I can log in...

My newly ISP-provided wifi box (part of the service) won't let me get into it to figure out what settings are screwy and are keeping my Kindle from logging in. Crazy. Oh well.

Thanks
Matthew
mnglfiddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 02:17 PM   #185
thetechnobear
Connoisseur
thetechnobear has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.thetechnobear has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.thetechnobear has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Iliad, Kindle K3, iPad , iPhone, etc...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiersten View Post
If you haven't already hacked your Kindle with something like USB networking or Launchpad prior to installing 3.1 then you can't currently get root access without using the serial port in the side of the Kindle.
I've just bought a k3, so it has 3.1 on it.... Does this mean I have no way to ssh into it? ( don't mind if wifi or USB)
Ive knowledge of Linux and using a Mac... But really dont do hardware hacks
thetechnobear is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-20-2011, 12:42 PM   #186
pdagenius
Enthusiast
pdagenius is on a distinguished road

Device: Kindle 3g + wifi Firmware: 3.2.1
SSH USB Networking - Peer to Peer computer USB cable link

This is brief write-up of how I got a USB peer to peer USB cable link to work with my new Kindle 3g using Win7 x64 and SSH with WinSCP. A huge thank you to all who have helped and this fantastic forum.

There seem to be many posts all about using wifi, but not many with a USB cable. It was the latter I was interested in order to simply update the browser bookmarks file see link and maybe other files occasionally.

I followed disi's post from earlier in this thread but I became stuck with the Windows RNIDS driver - I tried the Windows Mobile Device Centre one and one from my Android devices. I eventually came across this one posted by kinx (see link) for a Xerox printer - I extracted it from the original link and attached it below. Surprisingly though it does work. Thank you too to badbob001 and his post with help on WinSCP.

Please note it is a pre-requisite that you have Jailbreak and usb Networking installed see this post

Procedure:
  1. On the Kindle enter commands:
    ;debugOn
    ~usbNetwork
    ;debugOff
  2. Connect the Kindle to the computer via usb, Windows 7 will probably complain about a missing driver. Point Windows to the folder containing the RNIDS driver (you need to extract it from the archive).
  3. The default configured usb networking addresses are 192.168.2.1 for the pc and 192.168.2.2 for the Kindle. These are setup in the config file for the usbNetwork hack on the Kindle. You don't however need to change them.
    Goto Network Sharing Centre on the pc and set the pc local area connection to ip address to 192.168.2.1, subnet 255.255.255.0
  4. To connect with WinSCP client to transfer files:
    Create a new session filling in fields for 'Host name' (192.168.2.2), User name (root), and Private Key File (blank - WinSCP does not support private key passphrases).
    If you have done everything correctly you should get a "Welcome to Kindle!" message.
  5. To add a custom command for refreshing the Kindle:
    1. Preferences > Commands > Add...
    2. Description: Refresh Kindle
    3. Custom Command: dbus-send --system /default com.lab126.powerd.resuming int32:1
    4. (x) Remote command
    5. To invoke the command, either Files > Custom Commands > Refresh Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by badbob001 View Post
INFO: One issue you'll face is that after transferring files over, the Kindle doesn't know to refresh its index as it does when you unmount from usb. Alt-Z will usually show updates in the Pictures folder but does nothing for Documents. From a ssh connection, you can run the following to trigger a refresh: "dbus-send --system /default com.lab126.powerd.resuming int32:1". If you mix this command with Alt-Z, you may get duplicates so just stick to the command. Also for some reason, new documents may show up but not shown as the newest, so sort by title to find them.
Attached Files
File Type: rar RNIDS driver.rar (37.4 KB, 958 views)
pdagenius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 02:11 PM   #187
jmesar
Enthusiast
jmesar began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Ping OK but no Telnet

A silly mistake, the usb cable have two ends, so two ip address one for kindle and one for PC, I forgot the step 3: The default configured usb networking addresses are 192.168.2.1 for the pc and 192.168.2.2 for the Kindle. These are setup in the config file for the usbNetwork hack on the Kindle. You don't however need to change them.
Goto Network Sharing Centre on the pc and set the pc local area connection to ip address to 192.168.2.1, subnet 255.255.255.0
After installing the usb hack I change in Kindle config file the HOST_IP=192.168.2.1 to 192.168.0.100 as ipconfig show, and leave KINDLE_IP=192.168.2.2.

C:\WINDOWS\system32>ipconfig
Configuración IP de Windows

Adaptador Ethernet Conexión de área local 2 :
Sufijo de conexión específica DNS :
Dirección IP. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.100
Máscara de subred . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Puerta de enlace predeterminada : 192.168.0.1

Adaptador Ethernet Conexión de área local 4 :
Sufijo de conexión específica DNS :
Dirección IP. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.2.2
Máscara de subred . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Puerta de enlace predeterminada :

C:\WINDOWS\system32>ping 192.168.2.2
Haciendo ping a 192.168.2.2 con 32 bytes de datos:
Respuesta desde 192.168.2.2: bytes=32 tiempo<1m TTL=128

Estadísticas de ping para 192.168.2.2:
Paquetes: enviados = 4, recibidos = 4, perdidos = 0
(0% perdidos),
Tiempos aproximados de ida y vuelta en milisegundos:
Mínimo = 0ms, Máximo = 0ms, Media = 0ms

As show PC akcnologe the kindle as a network element since it Ping, but telnet refuse to open with or without firewall.

C:\WINDOWS\system32>telnet 192.168.2.2
Conectándose a 192.168.2.2...No se puede abrir la conexión al host, en puerto 23 : Error en la conexión
What can I do???

Last edited by jmesar; 04-21-2012 at 08:21 AM.
jmesar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 12:35 AM   #188
tenwx
tenwx began at the beginning.

Device: k3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecostin View Post
As I see that Kindle binaries can be found quite often on the Internet, there's no harm to post these two. The two archives contain /etc and /test from my "maybe privileged" K3. Don't waste time to crack the root password from the shadow file, it has been changed, the original one was the same one as everybody else's.

http://rapidshare.com/files/418785608/test.tgz.html
http://rapidshare.com/files/418785632/etc.tgz.html

I hope this helps.
Hi, may i ask do you still have these file in your kindle3? If so, please send it to the dropbox. The rapidshare is down now.Thanks!
tenwx is offline   Reply With Quote