Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 12-31-2013, 04:02 AM   #151
paola
Wizard
paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Pro 903, (beloved Pocketbook 360 RIP), Kobo Mini, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
Winter49: PM sent. And, as you "screwed up" her Touch, I recommend some flowers. And maybe a little grovelling.
Old 12-31-2013, 06:32 AM   #152
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by paola View Post
I learnt a long time ago, that if I was somewhere and thought "Should I buy my wife some flowers?", the only possible answer was "yes". The only problem I had was that for a while she was growing roses. Her roses were MUCH better than anything I could buy. They also meant there was nowhere to put other flowers in the house. In this situation, the important thing is to see the roses and admire them and ask questions.

And of course, if you can't find flowers, the answer is chocolate.
Advert
Old 12-31-2013, 06:33 AM   #153
Winter49
Winter49 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch N905B
@davidfor : Thank you very much. The Kobo is booting up again.

But now there is another problem:

Everytime I want to setup the reader by Kobo Desktop the fat32 Partition is killed. At this time Windows asks for formatting the Kobo drive. Only restoring can reactivate this Partition. First time after connecting the Kobo the drive ist shown as normal.

Do you have a Image with newer software after restoring? If you have i would like to try the Kobo N905c Software.

BR Winter
Old 12-31-2013, 06:43 AM   #154
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winter49 View Post
@davidfor : Thank you very much. The Kobo is booting up again.

But now there is another problem:

Everytime I want to setup the reader by Kobo Desktop the fat32 Partition is killed. At this time Windows asks for formatting the Kobo drive. Only restoring can reactivate this Partition. First time after connecting the Kobo the drive ist shown as normal.
Once you restore the image and start up, do a factory reset using the buttons. This should ensure all the partitions and code are setup correctly. To do this, power off, then hold the home button down while turning the the device on. Let the home button go when the LED at the top starts to flash.
Quote:
Do you have a Image with newer software after restoring? If you have i would like to try the Kobo N905c Software.
The N905B and N905C have different internal hardware. Using the firmware for one on the other is one of the reasons these images are needed.
Old 12-31-2013, 07:04 AM   #155
Winter49

Thank you for your quick reply.

That is the Problem: After restoring by home and on/off Switch the Partition is recognized until i start Kobo Desktop.

After that I removed the SD-Card from the Kobo and put it to an internal Reader. MiniTool Partition Wizard Shows all Partitition, but Windows is asking for formatting the drive. Now i am really

BR Winter49
Advert
Old 12-31-2013, 07:25 AM   #156
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Thank you for your quick reply.

That is the Problem: After restoring by home and on/off Switch the Partition is recognized until i start Kobo Desktop.
So Windows can see the disk when it is connected before you start the Kobo desktop? Can you copy files to it?
Quote:
After that I removed the SD-Card from the Kobo and put it to an internal Reader. MiniTool Partition Wizard Shows all Partitition, but Windows is asking for formatting the drive. Now i am really
That is to be expected. Two of the partitions are in formats that Windows doesn't recognise. The supplied image is an image for the complete micro SD card. Writing it to the card replaces everything on it.
Old 12-31-2013, 07:32 AM   #157
Winter49

yes, directly after restoring there no Problem to write files to the SD-Card. I put an Firmware update File the .Kobo Directory and after restart the Reader made the Update as expected.

After Connection to Kobo Desktop with new firmware: fail as described

Iam mounting the EXT3/4 Partition with Paragon ExtFS

I tried with 3 Windows 7 32/64bit Pc.
Old 12-31-2013, 07:38 AM   #158
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
yes, directly after restoring there no Problem to write files to the SD-Card. I put an Firmware update File the .Kobo Directory and after restart the Reader made the Update as expected.
Are you putting the firmware files onto the card before putting it back into the device? If so, don't. Put the card back in, let it restart and do a factory reset. Then connect the device, check if the Windows can access the file system and put the firmware files on. But, first check you have the correct files. You want the version for the N905/N905B. These are always much smaller than version for the Touch N905C/Glo/Mini. And what firmware are you trying to install?
Quote:
After Connection to Kobo Desktop with new firmware: fail as described

Iam mounting the EXT3/4 Partition with Paragon ExtFS

I tried with 3 Windows 7 32/64bit Pc.
I haven't tried to read the partitions that way. I have used a Linux machine to see them with no problems.
Old 12-31-2013, 07:48 AM   #159
Winter49

After restoring the sd Card stays all time in Kobo Reader. At this time there is no problem to access full to the Fat32 Partition.

The Card Reader is only used to check, not for modifications.

The Reader itself is marked with Model-N905B (N905-JPR-L at the Box)

Is there any possibility to check Model No by the Mainboard itself?
Old 01-01-2014, 05:29 AM   #160
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

One thing you can try is not using the Kobo destop app. Manually copy a the later firmware files to the device.

The only other thing is maybe the card is faulty. Do you have another card you can try?
Old 01-02-2014, 01:07 PM   #161
Winter49

Hello and a happy new Year,

sorry for my late reply. But now the Reader is working:

Solution: After restoring I changed the S/N in the "unused Area" of the new SD Card to have the the original S/N in the Reader. This time I didnt do that.

Now i am really confused because i´d like to have the original S/N

Just for information: I changed the original SD-Card (The content was destroyer by myself) into an 8GB and for testing a 16GB Class10 Samsung SD-Card.

BR Winter49

Last edited by Winter49; 01-02-2014 at 01:21 PM.
Old 01-02-2014, 06:42 PM   #162
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Winter49: Good to hear you got it working.

As to the serial number, it probably means you made a mistake setting it. How did you do this? And what does the "Device Information" page of the settings page have for the serial number?
Old 01-03-2014, 01:39 AM   #163
Winter49

Good morning,

now its the "wrong" from the Image.

When i change the Serial it is the original from the Reader as expected.

BR WInter49
Old 01-03-2014, 02:17 AM   #164
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Good morning,

now its the "wrong" from the Image.
OK. I just wanted to check as it might have been overwritten by the device at some point.
Quote:
When i change the Serial it is the original from the Reader as expected.
Your previous post seemed to say that when you didn't put your serial number into the image, that everything worked. But, when you did put your serial number in, it didn't work. Hence I was checking how you did the serial number update in case that was the cause.

Have I misunderstood?
Old 01-03-2014, 04:45 PM   #165
Winter49

Yes youre right.

This is the way i restore the card:

1: restore your Image to SD
2: Repartition the SD Card to get the full capacity (8GB Sandisc class10)

till now everthing is fine when i put the Card back into the Reader and Restore Default by factory reset

3: for restoring the S/N i use a Hex Editor which can open devices. Now i can see the Original S/N of the Image (i think it was at Hex 0x200)
I just overwrite and save.

4: Now i put the Card back to the Reader.

After factory reset the Reader is faulty.
Closed Thread