Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

Old 01-10-2013, 08:02 PM   #16
caleb72
Indie Advocate
caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
I'll nominate INDIE!
caleb72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 09:27 PM   #17
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Unless I am mistaken, Lottery is actually Free-for-All. So if I am correct, it would be a second, not a nomination.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 09:37 PM   #18
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Unless I am mistaken, Lottery is actually Free-for-All. So if I am correct, it would be a second, not a nomination.
They are not the same thing at all.

Free For All = Nominations by any book club member from any category.

Lottery = a Single club member chosen via lottery (by summiting their name and being chosen at random by Tom) and one of the following options, either: Version 1. The lottery winner chooses a book that we all read or Version 2. The lottery winner chooses a selection of books from which we choose via a poll.
Nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 09:40 PM   #19
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyssa View Post
They are not the same thing at all.

Free For All = Nominations by any book club member from any category.

Lottery = a Single club member chosen via lottery (by summiting their name and being chosen at random by Tom) and one of the following options, either: Version 1. The lottery winner chooses a book that we all read or Version 2. The lottery winner chooses a selection of books from which we choose via a poll.
The problem with Lottery is that we don't know who might be participating for that month. So it would be unfair if the lottery was held and new members were not included. Because of this, I would not allow lottery unless some way could be found to make it fair and I doubt that's possible.

Also with Lottery, I believe the winner has to lead the discussion about that month's book.
Old 01-10-2013, 09:44 PM   #20
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
The problem with Lottery is that we don't know who might be participating for that month. So it would be unfair if the lottery was held and new members were not included. Because of this, I would not allow lottery unless some way could be found to make it fair and I doubt that's possible.

Also with Lottery, I believe the winner has to lead the discussion about that month's book.
All members (new or established) may summit their name for the lottery.

The discussion thread proceeds as normal. There are no special requirements.
Old 01-10-2013, 09:55 PM   #21
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
All members (new or established) may summit their name for the lottery.

The discussion thread proceeds as normal. There are no special requirements.
I don't think it will win (TBH).
Old 01-10-2013, 10:01 PM   #22
Nyssa
Series Addict

Quote:
I don't think it will win (TBH).
It may not, but if you read through the nomination process for April 2013 you will see that there was some intrest.

If a Lottery category were to win, I personally would prefer it be option #2.
Old 01-10-2013, 10:26 PM   #23
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
I third Non-Fiction.

I nominate Adventure which has nothing to do with travelling.
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 10:37 PM   #24
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
It may not, but if you read through the nomination process for April 2013 you will see that there was some intrest.

If a Lottery category were to win, I personally would prefer it be option #2.
(IMHO) before Lottery is to be seconded/thirded, I think it needs to be defined if it's going to be #1 or #2. That's why I defined Modern Literature so there would be no discussion as to what I meant.
Old 01-10-2013, 10:39 PM   #25
Nyssa
Series Addict

Quote:
(IMHO) before Lottery is to be seconded/thirded, I think it needs to be defined if it's going to be #1 or #2. That's why I defined Modern Literature so there would be no discussion as to what I meant.
I've already sent a request to Dazrin to do just that, and to please answer here in the thread.
Old 01-10-2013, 10:41 PM   #26
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by caleb72 View Post
I'll nominate INDIE!
By Indie, do you mean any books not published by the price fix 6 and their imprints? If it's more publishers then that, can we please have a list of which publisher would be excluded?

Last edited by JSWolf; 01-10-2013 at 11:08 PM.
Old 01-11-2013, 06:49 AM   #27
Asawi
Gadgetoholic
Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2, Tolino Vision 6
Third Modern Litterature
Second Biography/Memoir
Nominate Humor
Asawi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 07:08 AM   #28
Hamlet53
Nameless Being

I will nominate classical literature*

*Book must have been published at least 25 years ago.

I will third biography/memoir
Old 01-11-2013, 07:39 AM   #29
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Second humor and classical literature.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 08:18 AM   #30
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
I'll nominate Award Winners.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote