Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 10-23-2008, 10:08 AM   #1
stustaff
Wizard
stustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it is

Device: sony reader PRS505 and 600
Hey, cowboys, recommend me some Westerns

I dont think I have ever read a Western!? which is strange as I love this Genre of Film.

I guess I want ones that have that skilled at violence dark character who finds redemption in stepping in against the odds to actually do something good against their normal behaviours.

Any suggestions gratefully received
stustaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 10:31 AM   #2
Taylor514ce
Actively passive.
Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505/LC
I very much liked "The Lonesome Gods" by Louis L'amour. It's available as an e-book. The leading character isn't quite "dark", but has some dark qualities and has to come to terms with his environment in order to survive. It's been a long while since I read it, but the protagonist definitely had to overcome the odds, change his concept of "normal", and also there was, as is important in Westerns, a strong "good guys win in the end" finish.

Last edited by Taylor514ce; 10-23-2008 at 10:33 AM.
Taylor514ce is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-23-2008, 10:38 AM   #3
Slite
Icanhasdonuts?
Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura 2nd edition, Kobo Clara HD
Hmmmm, speaking of westerns....

I read in my (somewhat distant) youth, a series of western novels about two "drifters" in the old west who always got into a pickle someway or another. But they always managed to come out on top due to their fast hands with a gun and fists of steel blah blah blah... you know the schtick.

But I can't for my life remember what the heck that series was called. It wasn't "great" litterature in any way, but a fun read nonetheless. Anyone that can possibly come up with an idea of what series I am refering too? Here in sweden the 2 main characters was called Bill and Ben.
Slite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 10:39 AM   #4
Taylor514ce
Actively passive.
Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505/LC
Are you sure the characters aren't socks? Never mind.
Taylor514ce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 10:45 AM   #5
Dave Berk
Fanatic
Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.

Device: PRS505
I don't know if that's what you're looking for, because it's not exactly a western, but Gemmell has the Jerusalem Man Series, which would fit the part about "dark character who finds redemption in stepping in against the odds to actually do something good against their normal behaviours". If it offers any incentive - the hero does use guns .

Actually, any of Gemmell books would do. They all seem to weave this subject (flawed hero finding redemption through great acts) into the story even when it isn't the story main focus. In particular try the waylander series.

Also Stephen King The Gunslinger (part one of the Dark Tower Series). I didn't like how the series turned out, but many do and you might. Anyway, it certainly fit the bill.

Hope this helps.
Dave Berk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-23-2008, 02:19 PM   #6
Stanart
Addict
Stanart is a jewel in the roughStanart is a jewel in the roughStanart is a jewel in the roughStanart is a jewel in the roughStanart is a jewel in the roughStanart is a jewel in the roughStanart is a jewel in the roughStanart is a jewel in the roughStanart is a jewel in the roughStanart is a jewel in the roughStanart is a jewel in the rough

Device: Handspring Visor, Sony PRS-500 Reader
It's been a long time since I read any, but I enjoyed most of Louis Lamour's books. But for a really unforgettable western I'd recommend Lonesome Dove by Larry McMurtry.
Stanart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 07:55 PM   #7
slayda
Retired & reading more!
slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1, iPad Air 2, iPhone 6S+, Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanart View Post
It's been a long time since I read any, but I enjoyed most of Louis Lamour's books. But for a really unforgettable western I'd recommend Lonesome Dove by Larry McMurtry.
I agree with both statements but I sure wish I could forget "The Lonesome Dove" & wish I hadn't wasted the time to read it. However, that said, many people really liked it.

While not exactly a western, it has a western flavor - "The Last of the Breed" by Louis L'Amour. It is a modern story of an Indian who was a pilot in the US Air Force who was captured by Soviets and escaped on foot across Siberia to and via kayak to Alaska. Has a lot of the "living off the land" type of things you might find in a western.

Also Tony Hillerman writes a pretty good modern day western detective stories with a Navajo detective solving cases on the reservation.

Last edited by slayda; 10-23-2008 at 08:11 PM.
slayda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 05:50 AM   #8
stustaff
Wizard
stustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it is

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Berk View Post
I don't know if that's what you're looking for, because it's not exactly a western, but Gemmell has the Jerusalem Man Series, which would fit the part about "dark character who finds redemption in stepping in against the odds to actually do something good against their normal behaviours". If it offers any incentive - the hero does use guns .

Actually, any of Gemmell books would do. They all seem to weave this subject (flawed hero finding redemption through great acts) into the story even when it isn't the story main focus. In particular try the waylander series.

Also Stephen King The Gunslinger (part one of the Dark Tower Series). I didn't like how the series turned out, but many do and you might. Anyway, it certainly fit the bill.

Hope this helps.
Thanks Dave it was me reccomending Gemmel in the Scifi/fantasy thread that made me create this thread
Im a big Gemmel fan and am aware that I like the flawed hero genre so I started this western thread, If I hadnt already read them they'd be a great reccomendation.

Thanks all,
My Dad has some Lois L'amour so might pick one of those up but not really seeing anything that appeals yet.
Old 10-24-2008, 07:14 AM   #9
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Go to our free ebooks here on MobileRead and filter for "Westerns" and zippo-bingo-wham-a-bamma-ding-dong.....you'll find a number of westerns.

I've assembled quite a few myself that are available here.

Have fun.

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 08:37 AM   #10
tcv
Addict
tcv will become famous soon enoughtcv will become famous soon enoughtcv will become famous soon enoughtcv will become famous soon enoughtcv will become famous soon enoughtcv will become famous soon enough

This is going to be a stupid question. Brace yourselves...

What is the typical western? I've never been much for the movies, although I've seen some that I liked. Is the genre all about Romance In The Dusty West? Is it good guy vs. bad guy? How can you sum up the genre?

m
tcv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 10:40 AM   #11
stustaff
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
Go to our free ebooks here on MobileRead and filter for "Westerns" and zippo-bingo-wham-a-bamma-ding-dong.....you'll find a number of westerns.

I've assembled quite a few myself that are available here.

Have fun.

Don
I always for get that! and feedbooks havent looked there either!

any recommended favourites Don?
Old 10-24-2008, 10:42 AM   #12
stustaff
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcv View Post

What is the typical western? I've never been much for the movies, although I've seen some that I liked. Is the genre all about Romance In The Dusty West? Is it good guy vs. bad guy? How can you sum up the genre?

m
I think Western sits at the same level as Sci-fi or fantasy!

e.g. you can go Sci-Fi>comedy or Sci.fi>Action or Sci-fi-Romance

so You could have Western>romantic Western>action Western>detective etc
Old 10-24-2008, 10:55 AM   #13
BookishDreamer
Cultural Artist
BookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: Sony 505, Kindle 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcv View Post

m
Typical western? Take a look at wikipedia's explanation. I didn't realize there were so many sub-genres.

Maybe it's time for me to re-read Riders of the Purple Sage.

Dreamer
BookishDreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 10:56 AM   #14
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
So, Stustaff, are ya reading yet? What did you start with?
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 06:50 PM   #15
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
When I was a kid I liked the genre quite a lot. The authors I remember the most were Thomas Mayne Reid and Fenimore Cooper.
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote