Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 11-09-2013, 07:31 AM   #76
samhy
Wizard
samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: (Sony (J) PRS 650), Kobo Mini, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
Doesn't the Kobo HD have 4GB of built-in storage? So isn't this a plus in the Kobo column?
Yes, both the Aura and the Aura HD have 4GB.
samhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 07:36 AM   #77
llcj
Addict
llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by l_macd View Post
Don't think you need to apologise for expressing your opinion. I just wondered if maybe you'd only seen a Kindle that was set to show a large margin and weren't aware that wasn't the default.

However, I'm still at a loss as to what you are seeing? Looks to me like you could maybe fit another word per line if the margins were made slightly smaller! Fair enough you might prefer a narrower margin, but its certainly far from being a large wasted space that "waste as much if not more space than top and bottom margins on a Kobo device", no?

Incidentally, Canuck_in_Japan's picture does show that there can be improvements to the wasted space at the top of the Kobo, I prefer not to have to make any changes to books or the ereader itself to get the required customisation - which was what drew me to considering the Aura over the PW in the first place, customisation out of the box is far better with the Aura.... it's just other issues that are edging me to the PW.
By changing the side margins to approximate the margins in the post linked to above, my chapter page count went from 21 pages to 25 pages. I'm actually surprised that it increased by that much.

For me, it's not so much the number of words per page but how it looks. Can't really explain why I like the top and bottom margins (and don't consider them wasted space) but don't like the side margins, although to be honest, If I had no choice I would get accustomed to it and it probably wouldn't bother me.

I will admit to a bit of hyperbole in my original post (The embarassed faced icon was supposed to go here and I couldn't figure out how to move it. Arghh. too early in the morning for me.)
llcj is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-09-2013, 01:23 PM   #78
Synamon
Lunatic
Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite and Keyboard, Kobo Aura, iPad mini, iPod Touch
mgmueller, the Aura has a flush bezel which differentiates it from the Paperwhite design. Also the back is textured making it easy to hold, I agree with you regarding the slippery back of they Aura HD. The Aura and the Paperwhite are equally good readers, choosing one over the other comes down to individual preferences.
Synamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 05:31 PM   #79
nathan.grewal
Dickens Fanatic
nathan.grewal is a glorious beacon of lightnathan.grewal is a glorious beacon of lightnathan.grewal is a glorious beacon of lightnathan.grewal is a glorious beacon of lightnathan.grewal is a glorious beacon of lightnathan.grewal is a glorious beacon of lightnathan.grewal is a glorious beacon of lightnathan.grewal is a glorious beacon of lightnathan.grewal is a glorious beacon of lightnathan.grewal is a glorious beacon of lightnathan.grewal is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kobo touch, iPod touch 4th gen, kobo arc, kobo arc 10 HD, nexus 5
I would have gone with kobo. Epub support is huge
nathan.grewal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 09:02 PM   #80
FinancialWar
Banned
FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.

Device: Sony PRS350, Onyx M92, Onyx T68 (defective!)
Paperwhite 2 has really bad screen, it it smaller and have less pixels. I think it's only 800x600 or something.
FinancialWar is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-23-2014, 09:18 PM   #81
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinancialWar View Post
Paperwhite 2 has really bad screen, it it smaller and have less pixels. I think it's only 800x600 or something.
Both versions of the Paperwhite have the same size and resolution screen as the Kobo Aura. This is 6" and 1024*768. You might be comparing it to the Kobo Aura HD. That is 6.8" and resolution 1440*1080.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 09:42 PM   #82
FinancialWar
Banned
FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.

Device: Sony PRS350, Onyx M92, Onyx T68 (defective!)
Okay, I see.

So in the case of Aura HD vs PaperWhite, Aura HD wins then.
FinancialWar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 11:20 PM   #83
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Okay, I see.

So in the case of Aura HD vs PaperWhite, Aura HD wins then.
Screen wise, that is what most people say. But the Aura HD is bigger, heavier and has an unusual design. The latter has turned some people off it.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 10:37 AM   #84
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:
KPW2: 6", 1024 x 758, 212 PPI
Aura HD: 6.8", 1440 × 1080, 265 PPI
Aura: 6", 1024 x 758, 212 PPI
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 08:13 AM   #85
Loknor
Loknor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loknor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loknor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loknor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loknor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loknor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loknor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loknor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loknor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loknor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loknor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O 2nd ed, Kobo Aura HD, Iriver Story
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
Screen wise, that is what most people say. But the Aura HD is bigger, heavier and has an unusual design. The latter has turned some people off it.
I'd say the weight is a non issue. 60g seems like a lot, but an Aura HD is 240g, which is still much less than most tablets and certainly much less than a real book.

The unusal design is at the back of the device, namely a few asymetrical ridges. Though I'm sure some people prefer a flat background, I'm also convinced the vast majority of people would not notice.

I'd say the choice between a PW and a Kobo is primarily a platform choice as in usability and ergonomics it's a toss up. There are very good reasons for either platform.

Between the Aura and the HD I personally would always pick the HD as more screen estate is easier on the eyes, but considering this year I had my first bifocals at 43 (nooooooo!!!) I can imagine other people count the newer design heavier than the screen estate.
Loknor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 09:43 AM   #86
the.Mtn.Man
Guru
the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura
In my opinion, the only reason to go with Kindle is if you really like the idea of getting all of your books from Amazon. Otherwise, Kobo is clearly the better choice because it's more open in that respect.
the.Mtn.Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 11:41 AM   #87
kristalana
Groupie
kristalana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kristalana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kristalana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kristalana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kristalana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kristalana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kristalana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kristalana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kristalana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kristalana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kristalana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Galaxy Tab Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by the.Mtn.Man View Post
In my opinion, the only reason to go with Kindle is if you really like the idea of getting all of your books from Amazon. Otherwise, Kobo is clearly the better choice because it's more open in that respect.
Funny, I'm using a Kindle that's chock-full of books from all different stores, mostly Kobo.
kristalana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 02:25 PM   #88
the.Mtn.Man
Guru
the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by kristalana View Post
Funny, I'm using a Kindle that's chock-full of books from all different stores, mostly Kobo.
Presumably you stripped the DRM and converted them to Mobi format. The point is that the Kobo can use epubs from other sources without having to jump through hoops to get them on the device.
the.Mtn.Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 02:45 PM   #89
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
Actually, that is not the case. You can not read a book from Barnes and Noble on a Kobo without stripping the DRM.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 03:43 PM   #90
kristalana
Groupie
kristalana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kristalana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kristalana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kristalana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kristalana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kristalana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kristalana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kristalana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kristalana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kristalana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kristalana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Galaxy Tab Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by the.Mtn.Man View Post
Presumably you stripped the DRM and converted them to Mobi format. The point is that the Kobo can use epubs from other sources without having to jump through hoops to get them on the device.
I strip the drm from my Amazon books too, so I'm not jumping through any extra hoops doing so with books from other stores.
kristalana is offline   Reply With Quote