Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 02-21-2013, 02:14 PM   #61
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard
Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 11/X/6/iPad 1,2,Air & Air Pro/Surface Pro/Kindle PW & Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anabran View Post
Agreed but that did not satisfy he guys need for a critique of some sort of the product so I cobbled him one to be accommodating. :-)
I didn't NEED a critique I was simply stating that it's ridiculous when people come on and say things like "Oh, that won't work for me." The point of the thread was to REVIEW the surface pro. People would come here and read when they want to know what people have discovered after actually USING it. Things they should watch out for, things they should consider when deciding if they want to purchase it, etc. Not someone who says - "It's not for me" - I don't really care if it is for you, I'm trying to decide if it is for me.

Your comment in your Critique (although it looked like it was copy pasted from the standard windows bashing sites) actually made a good point
Quote:
supported by a relatively thread bare Ecosystem of content.
That would have been a really good comment on a Surface RT review... On the PRO review, it is invalid and meaningless since the PRO will run pretty much ANY software written for windows for the last 3 decades....

The second paragraph of your Critique was pretty much empty words...other than to repeat that the surface is aimed at the ultrabook market...oh and the Macbook Air is in there too....ummm OK...again a surface PRO review, not a Macbook Air Review.

Please don't take my critique of your critique personally.

Cheers!
Turtle91 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 02:22 PM   #62
Anabran
GUNDAM PILOT
Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire
Quote:
"The second paragraph of your Critique was pretty much empty words.......Your comment in your Critique (although it looked like it was copy pasted from the standard windows bashing sites) actually made a good point
"

Then I clearly Failed as I intended the ENTIRE "Critique " to be empty words, hence "Cobbled"

I hope you dont take my poking fun at your taking my Critique seriously ....errr... seriously. :-)
Anabran is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-21-2013, 02:34 PM   #63
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard
Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 11/X/6/iPad 1,2,Air & Air Pro/Surface Pro/Kindle PW & Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anabran View Post
"

Then I clearly Failed as I intended the ENTIRE "Critique " to be empty words, hence "Cobbled"

I hope you dont take my poking fun at your taking my Critique seriously ....errr... seriously. :-)
lol....point!
Turtle91 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 02:58 PM   #64
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtle91 View Post
since the PRO will run pretty much ANY software written for windows for the last 3 decades....
I'm afraid this is incorrect. The Pro is only available with 64-bit Windows 8, and hence will only run 32-bit (or 64-bit) Windows apps, not older 16-bit apps. This means it'll only run apps written for Windows 95 or later, which is only 18 years.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 03:36 PM   #65
wizwor
Wizard
wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle, fire
Not true, Harry. I am running 32-bit windows apps on my x64 Win8 desktop.
wizwor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-21-2013, 03:44 PM   #66
Penforhire
Wizard
Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & iPhone 7+
And if it'll run the DOSBox emulator then you can run some pretty old stuff.
Penforhire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 03:59 PM   #67
wizwor
Wizard
wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I do that too ;-)
Old 02-21-2013, 04:55 PM   #68
Sydney's Mom
Wizard
Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Fire 3d Gen and 5th Gen and Samsung Tab S
A little late, because we switched internet service provider, and were without internet for 4 days. I didn't realize it would be so bad!

I have an ultrabook, and only paid about $300 premium above a laptop. I love the portability, and especially the ability to have it on my knees to type in bed. I absolutely love it, but I would also like to try windows 8. But I paid $700 for my Acer S3, and that new Acer S7 is beautiful, but I have only had this computer since August. Technology is changing so fast - what is next? Using eye movements like a mouse?
Sydney's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 05:24 PM   #69
wizwor
Wizard

You're exactly right. No single machine will be perfect for everyone. It's nice to have choice. We are so competitive these days that every decision has to be validated by the dismissal of all alternatives.
Old 02-21-2013, 06:02 PM   #70
Dulin's Books
Wizard
Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox PB360 etc etc etc
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtle91 View Post
It's like me going onto a cross-stitchers forum (there's got to be one of those somewhere right)
http://www.crossstitchforum.com/
Dulin's Books is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 09:19 PM   #71
bobcdy
Fanatic
bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: bebook; prs-950; nook simple touch; HTC Jetstream tablet
If win 8 x64 is similar to 64bit win 7 os, this limits its use with older programs - for example my Nikon Cool Scan 5000ED scaning program runs fine on my Win 7 32bit os in win xp mode but cannot be run on my 64bit system. There is no Nikon update for the program so forget about using it with a 64 bit os.

Last edited by bobcdy; 02-21-2013 at 09:21 PM.
bobcdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 09:29 PM   #72
wizwor
Wizard

Abandonware is an issue, but there are options.

Look here for help with your problem.
Old 02-21-2013, 10:03 PM   #73
bobcdy
Fanatic
bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: bebook; prs-950; nook simple touch; HTC Jetstream tablet
wizwor
Thanks for the info! I have a workaround using Vuescan that has drivers for just about every scanner, but then one loses the 'digital ice' slide cleaning option of the Nikon software. I'll try the one you pointed out; hopefully it works with the Coolscan 5000.
Bob

Later:
The workaround works perfectly; now I can use either Vuescan (much faster) or the Nikon scan program v4.03 (v. slow but more options). The Nikon scan also works as a plug-in for Photoshop CS5 (32bit) running on my x64 system. Thanks again for the help.
Bob

Last edited by bobcdy; 02-22-2013 at 01:19 AM.
bobcdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 01:10 AM   #74
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizwor View Post
Not true, Harry. I am running 32-bit windows apps on my x64 Win8 desktop.
You didn't read my post correctly. 64-bit Windows will run 32-bit programs, but it will NOT run 16-bit programs.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 02:45 AM   #75
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobcdy View Post
wizwor
Thanks for the info! I have a workaround using Vuescan that has drivers for just about every scanner, but then one loses the 'digital ice' slide cleaning option of the Nikon software. I'll try the one you pointed out; hopefully it works with the Coolscan 5000.
Bob
Later:
The workaround works perfectly; now I can use either Vuescan (much faster) or the Nikon scan program v4.03 (v. slow but more options). The Nikon scan also works as a plug-in for Photoshop CS5 (32bit) running on my x64 system. Thanks again for the help.
Bob
Thank you both! This whole thread was worth it just for your posts. I partitioned my Mac hard-drive to be able to boot in Windows XP in order to use this software. Now I know I have options on other computers in my house.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote