Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 09-21-2012, 11:17 AM   #1
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Agent Assaulted by Author

Quote:
Pam van Hylckama Vlieg, Literary Agent, Attacked; Author Taken Into Custody

Police have taken an apparently disgruntled author into custody after a popular literary agent and blogger was attacked in her car Thursday.

Pam van Hylckama Vlieg, an agent in San Francisco with Larsen Pomada who runs the website Bookalicio.us, told The Huffington Post, "I was on my way to my daughter's school ... and just before I turned the corner, my passenger-side mirror popped. I though I'd hit someone's trash can. Then a guy walked out in front of me, with a baseball bat in his hand."

According to van Hylckama Vlieg, the man, whom she did not recognize, reached into the car and repeatedly slammed her head on the steering wheel. Her dog, Jackie, a Jack Russell terrier who was in the car at the time, bit the attacker on the arm and she was able to get away.

After she reported the attack to the San Jose Police Department later that day, officers asked for access to her professional email; one author in particular, said van Hylckama Vlieg, had been emailing her unpleasant weekly messages following her rejection of his manuscript.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/0...tml?ref=topbar
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 12:05 PM   #2
Freeshadow
temp. out of service
Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB 623
At least he'll get printed now...
The procedurally necessary number of copies of his questionings
Freeshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-21-2012, 12:14 PM   #3
John Carroll
kookoo
John Carroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Carroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Carroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Carroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Carroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Carroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Carroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Carroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Carroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Carroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Carroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Nook, LG4
And the agent thought Snoopy was irritating . . .
John Carroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 12:22 PM   #4
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
To be precise, the proper headline should be "Agent assaulted by psycho"...
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 12:35 PM   #5
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
To be precise, the proper headline should be "Agent assaulted by psycho"...

I think he did write 'author.'

Don
Dr. Drib is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-21-2012, 09:46 PM   #6
cromag
Surfin the alpha waves ~~
cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Jetbook Lite & Mini, Nook STR, Kobo, Hanvon N516, Kindle 2, Androids
Throw the book at him!
cromag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 09:55 PM   #7
LisaPT
LisaPT began at the beginning.

Device: sony reader PRS-600
I never thought of a Jack Russell as a protection dog. Go Jackie!

So glad she is going to be ok and her child wasn't with her.
LisaPT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 02:58 PM   #8
Antoinekamel
Addict
Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ABC W p2
Just some news for a new sticky slogan to Kindle Direct Publishing, "KDP or death".
Antoinekamel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 03:23 PM   #9
Prestidigitweeze
Fledgling Demagogue
Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Oasis 2; Aura HD; iPad Air; PRS-350; Galaxy S7.
Yet another reason not to enable location-sharing options on social media sites.
Prestidigitweeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 07:20 PM   #10
DarkScribe
Apprentice Curmudgeon.
DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DX Graphite, Touch, Paperwhite, Sony, and Nook.
I have never been assaulted by a disgruntled writer, but on occasion I have been threatened. The closest I came to any violent confrontation was nearly thirty years ago. I published a submission, but made a number of editorial changes - as per our entitlement in the terms offered to writers. The guy concerned became so outraged that he barged into our office one lunchtime - screaming abuse and making threats of violence. He was only about five eleven so I and the rest of the male staff towered over him. He ran out of puff quite quickly as the crowd of onlookers gathered around him. Stopped in mid-sentence and then actually backed out of the room.

I could probably muster a couple of thousand letters from people trying to talk me into changing my mind about publishing them. No one ever succeeded (without a major re-write).
DarkScribe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 07:44 PM   #11
carpetmojo
Wizard
carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony- T3, PRS650, 350, T1/2/3, Paperwhite, Fire 8.9,Samsung Tab S 10.5
Stop Press - "Small yappy dog savages writer".

This author of his own misfortune [couldn't resist, sorry] was obviously not an experienced intruder of people's personal space - professional burglars etc... always steer well clear of any small dogs, and would prefer to take on a Doberman before a Jack Russell any day.
( I don't speak from inside knowledge, I hasten to add, but various accounts and interviews in the press, TV and radio ! )
These hounds are particularly partial to a taste of anything that intrudes into "their" car, which they seem to regard as a mobile kennel.
I had one once that was man's best friend in every other way, but even I trod carefully getting into what was nominally my vehicle.
carpetmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 12:34 AM   #12
ImogenRose
PORTAL
ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1, Kindle 3 (3G), iPhone
Yikes.
ImogenRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 05:52 PM   #13
Freeshadow
temp. out of service
Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB 623
Jackies are indeed very posessive in regards of "their" personal domain. e. g. the own basket.
Freeshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 06:33 PM   #14
Moriarty's
confictura animus
Moriarty's ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moriarty's ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moriarty's ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moriarty's ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moriarty's ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moriarty's ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moriarty's ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moriarty's ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moriarty's ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moriarty's ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moriarty's ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Tiny dogs are awesome, but I'd still feel safer with my Alsatian in such a situation, personally... If an angry writer was hitting me, what would stop them hitting my eensy dog? Their teeth just don't hurt as much...

Scary.
Moriarty's is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 07:57 PM   #15
DarkScribe
Apprentice Curmudgeon.
DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DX Graphite, Touch, Paperwhite, Sony, and Nook.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moriarty's View Post
Tiny dogs are awesome, but I'd still feel safer with my Alsatian in such a situation, personally... If an angry writer was hitting me, what would stop them hitting my eensy dog? Their teeth just don't hurt as much...

Scary.
Tiny dogs are yappy, hard to train, and from a security point of view, not much use. I have never seen a tiny dog that will obey a command to keep silent.

I have a Rottie, and have had Rotties since my childhood. They are actually very friendly, but when they decide not to be, they make their point.
DarkScribe is offline   Reply With Quote