Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 12-01-2010, 03:11 PM   #1
James_Wilde
Guru
James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Iriver Story
UK-US-OZ translations?

Has anyone from one of the major English-speaking markets done a deal with someone from one of the other markets to "translate" their book to the other market's spelling and idioms? And if so, was it through contacts on MR?

My novel is written in UK English, with what I hope are UK idioms (I've lived abroad so long, I'm not entirely sure!) and I'm considering trying to get an ozzie and a yank to translate the book into their respective varieties of English.

Just wondered whether anyone had done this, and if so whether they would be prepared to share the details, experiences, etc., publicly or via PM.

I'd be particularly interested in UK-US translation since that would give me access to Createspace's Extended Distribution Channel, i.e. US book retailers. Although I don't know how much of a market there would be for the book in the US.
James_Wilde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 07:55 AM   #2
James_Wilde
Guru
James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Well, this one fell on surprisingly stony ground!
Advert
Old 12-08-2010, 04:49 PM   #3
James_Wilde
Guru

I just got this message as a PR...

Quote:
I just noticed your post. As an American, I find the idea that us colonials need books "translated" to be rather condescendingly offensive. Certain spellings, such as "gaol", might not be well known here, but we'll either infer the context, or look it up!

P. D. James mysteries - as an example - aren't full of references to the "State Police" investigating crimes, folks eating "cookies" with their tea, or stopping by "ATM's" to get cash. Yet, they manage to sell well enough here. Fancy that!

On occasion, the U. S. edition of some books features the American practice of double quotes for dialogue, as opposed to British single ones, but that's pretty much it. Even then, I believe they've left "centre" and "authorise" intact as We. Get. It.

Perhaps now you understand why your idea didn't get the response you'd hoped for?
As I said to him, I should have looked inwards. I can read an American book and enjoy it. I've not read many Aussie books - they're not so common over here in Europe - but I managed with "The Thorn Birds" and "The Sundowners".

I was actually looking at the suggestion as a source of income for potential "translators".

Sorry if I offended anyone. I guess this thread is closed. Do I get a prize for being the only one to post in it?

Tags
createspace, oz english, translation, uk english, us english