Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 08-07-2013, 12:23 AM   #241
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
It's a prototype model right now with field trials slated for late 2013 so I'd think it'll be awhile before something is actually available for sale in any market. As for price unless they can get the cost of large eInk screens down I'd guess it'll be higher than your $350-$450 since the current 9'7" devices are in the $350-$400 range.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 01:29 AM   #242
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4SO, Kindle for Android, Sony PRS-350 and PRS-T1
I'm fairly sure there will be a time gap of several months between a release in Japan and the rest of the world. Sony wants to evaluate it and make some changes before sending it to new markets. So if you need it before that you can always buy it through Rakuten. Even if only released in Japan there will most likely be a user option for English interface.
Kumabjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 06:32 AM   #243
gamba66
Zealot
gamba66 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gamba66 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gamba66 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gamba66 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gamba66 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gamba66 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gamba66 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gamba66 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gamba66 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gamba66 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gamba66 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Hanvon E920
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumabjorn View Post
I'm fairly sure there will be a time gap of several months between a release in Japan and the rest of the world. Sony wants to evaluate it and make some changes before sending it to new markets. So if you need it before that you can always buy it through Rakuten. Even if only released in Japan there will most likely be a user option for English interface.
Nearly all japanese sony products ONLY support japanese language including their sony prs t1/t2 line!

I wouldnt be too sure about that they implement multilanguage in a product that is only meant foe japanese market, atleast they havent done so in the past.
gamba66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 07:09 AM   #244
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4SO, Kindle for Android, Sony PRS-350 and PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by gamba66 View Post
Nearly all japanese sony products ONLY support japanese language including their sony prs t1/t2 line!

I wouldnt be too sure about that they implement multilanguage in a product that is only meant foe japanese market, atleast they havent done so in the past.
Then things have changed, when I lived in Japan the advantage of buying a Sony product was that you could set the interface and they also came with a rudimentary English manual.
Kumabjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 06:27 PM   #245
Sil_liS
Wizard
Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 903 & 360+
Quote:
Originally Posted by hamisertvurdu View Post
Hey,

I am new in the market and looking for a large screen (>9'') ereader with good PDF support and this Sony reader is one of the options, actually the one that I really wanna buy.
But the problem is that Sony doesn't inform the customers well about the release date. They informed the press in May and never said anything after that. As I know, it will first be released in Japan and then will be available in US and Europe.

Does any of you guys have some recent info about the release date? I can wait several months more but I really need to buy a device (10'' tablet or Kindle DX) soon. So, if this Sony reader is not released in a near future (two months at most), I cannot wait for it.

Any help about the release date in US would be appreciated.

btw, i assume that its price will be around $350-$450. Any price that is greater than a typical 10'' tablet (say, Ipad or Nexus 10) would be a bad decision for the company.
If you start your search by thinking that a 13.3 inch device should have the same price as a 10 inch device you are going to be disappointed.
Sil_liS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 06:31 PM   #246
medard
Wizard
medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Electronic Paper
I'm not so sure about that, it's just b/w and the only thing it does is to display text files.

Nexus 10 is 400 Euros (16 GB), such an Eink deveice can't be more expensive than that. If it costs more than we can forget about it. At least that's my opinion about the pricing.
medard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 06:51 PM   #247
Sil_liS
Wizard
Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 903 & 360+
Quote:
Originally Posted by medard View Post
I'm not so sure about that, it's just b/w and the only thing it does is to display text files.

Nexus 10 is 400 Euros (16 GB), such an Eink deveice can't be more expensive than that. If it costs more than we can forget about it. At least that's my opinion about the pricing.
For b/w files it isn't a problem to have a b/w display. If you need color you aren't going to be happy with eink anyway.
Sil_liS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 12:57 PM   #248
Ogui
Ogui ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ogui ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ogui ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ogui ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ogui ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ogui ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ogui ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ogui ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ogui ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ogui ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ogui ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: prs-t1
wonder how this will stack up against onyx M92; claims to handle pdfs and at 9.7" screen an 279Euros...
Ogui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 12:58 PM   #249
Ogui
Ogui ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ogui ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ogui ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ogui ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ogui ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ogui ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ogui ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ogui ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ogui ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ogui ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ogui ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: prs-t1
Any recent news on the sony? like how the field trials are going? price and Europe/US release dates?
Ogui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 06:21 AM   #250
simond91
simond91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: icarus excel, sony 13" reader
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogui View Post
Any recent news on the sony? like how the field trials are going? price and Europe/US release dates?
qouting the question...

also i'm looking buying the icarus excel for filling the gap between now and the release of the sony device. any suggestion?

i'm a university student and a device like that will litteraly save my back
simond91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 05:09 PM   #251
petrucci
Groupie
petrucci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petrucci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petrucci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petrucci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petrucci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petrucci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petrucci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petrucci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petrucci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petrucci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petrucci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
I have not heard any news on it. I personally would not be surprised if the device is never sold to the public. There have been numerous large screen e-readers that were never released, such as the Skiff.

I think that companies float these 'news' stories to gauge the public's interest in the device, and to build hype. Their hope is to create enough of a market to sell the product at a reasonable price. Sadly, there just does not seem to be much demand for e-readers with screens that are larger than 9.7 inches.

Hopefully Sony will come through with this one, but I would not bet on it.
petrucci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 12:19 AM   #252
leebase
Karma Kameleon
leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPhone X, Kindle Fire Tab HD 8, Walmart Onn
This thing isn't going to be released. They may well release a large tablet though.
leebase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 06:32 AM   #253
markom
Banned
markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs t1 kindle dx ipad
Maybe some forum member here from Japan could confirm, deny or elaborate on its present use in those universities by searching their internet pages or local Japanese forums.

I don't think Sony is going to release this e-ink reader a lot earlier than some other company will Plastic Logic's, so my hope is with autumn/winter next year.

Last edited by markom; 10-20-2013 at 06:54 AM.
markom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 07:14 AM   #254
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by markom View Post
I don't think Sony is going to release this e-ink reader a lot earlier than some other company will Plastic Logic's, so my hope is with autumn/winter next year.
They aren't going to release this reader at all - it's clearly stated to be a prototype, not a commercial product.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 08:28 AM   #255
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
They aren't going to release this reader at all - it's clearly stated to be a prototype, not a commercial product.
Did it explicitly say it would not be a commercial product? Because they make prototypes of products before mass production.
I thought there was another term that indicated it was a one off, like "concept piece" or something?
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote