Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 12-16-2012, 08:56 PM   #1
ksiflhjla8
Connoisseur
ksiflhjla8 can differentiate black from dark navy blueksiflhjla8 can differentiate black from dark navy blueksiflhjla8 can differentiate black from dark navy blueksiflhjla8 can differentiate black from dark navy blueksiflhjla8 can differentiate black from dark navy blueksiflhjla8 can differentiate black from dark navy blueksiflhjla8 can differentiate black from dark navy blueksiflhjla8 can differentiate black from dark navy blueksiflhjla8 can differentiate black from dark navy blueksiflhjla8 can differentiate black from dark navy blueksiflhjla8 can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: Kobo Aura HD
Paperwhite internal SD card slot?

Does the Paperwhite, like the Kobo Glo, have the internal SD card in a slot?
If so, could it probably be replaced by a bigger one?
ksiflhjla8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 09:26 PM   #2
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Týr
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
yep. been done. on here somewhere. I have 3 x 8gb sitting here on the side
twobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 05:55 AM   #3
hawhill
Wizard
hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Mini
Errrm. It does *not* have an internal SD card slot. It has a eMMC chip on board, which is a flash media chip that has communication channels according to the MMC standard. But that's something very different. I would not recommend to re-solder another chip in place if you don't have serious SMD experience.

What actually has been done IIRC is to connect to the internal USB host port, which is present for a potential WAN card (which is present on the PWs with WAN access, so the port is blocked there). A small USB mass storage or a USB sd card reader can be fit into the cover. Soldering the 4 lines will still need some soldering experience, though.
hawhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 06:32 AM   #4
aranwe
Enthusiast
aranwe , Klaatu Barada Niktu!aranwe , Klaatu Barada Niktu!aranwe , Klaatu Barada Niktu!aranwe , Klaatu Barada Niktu!aranwe , Klaatu Barada Niktu!aranwe , Klaatu Barada Niktu!aranwe , Klaatu Barada Niktu!aranwe , Klaatu Barada Niktu!aranwe , Klaatu Barada Niktu!aranwe , Klaatu Barada Niktu!aranwe , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Kindle Touch
interesting ... the PW has internal usb host that does not require kernel hacking?
aranwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 07:50 AM   #5
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by aranwe View Post
interesting ... the PW has internal usb host that does not require kernel hacking?
The USB sub-system of the kernel is mostly generic.
For instance: hubs are auto-detected.
Only end-point devices (might) have a specific driver.

use:
lsusb -vv
from the command line on your Kindle to see what is auto-detected.

Yes: The kernel has to be hacked.
No: You do not have to do it, the kernel does it to itself during the init USB procedure.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 08:28 AM   #6
aranwe
Enthusiast
aranwe , Klaatu Barada Niktu!aranwe , Klaatu Barada Niktu!aranwe , Klaatu Barada Niktu!aranwe , Klaatu Barada Niktu!aranwe , Klaatu Barada Niktu!aranwe , Klaatu Barada Niktu!aranwe , Klaatu Barada Niktu!aranwe , Klaatu Barada Niktu!aranwe , Klaatu Barada Niktu!aranwe , Klaatu Barada Niktu!aranwe , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

knc1:
that i get ... what i meant that there is no need for that turn on usb-host stuff as on the K4 / K5
btw: i would like to confirm - there is no such thing on K5 right? (never heard of it and i am quite surprised that it is on the KPW)

Last edited by aranwe; 12-17-2012 at 08:37 AM.
Old 12-17-2012, 08:42 AM   #7
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
All of the SoC models used in Kindles have more than one USB port.
Some have as many as five (but not all are physically available on the board).

Just do a lsusb -vv on your Kindle (any model).

The turn-on / turn-off stuff you see mentioned here is for switching end-point drivers on the OTG USB port, not related to use of the other ports.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 09:06 AM   #8
eureka
but forgot what it's like
eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawhill View Post
What actually has been done IIRC is to connect to the internal USB host port
Quote:
knc1:
that i get ... what i meant that there is no need for that turn on usb-host stuff as on the K4 / K5
btw: i would like to confirm - there is no such thing on K5 right? (never heard of it and i am quite surprised that it is on the KPW)
hawhill told about this successful project made for Kindle Touch (read all further messages to get to the author's success moment).
eureka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 09:12 AM   #9
ksiflhjla8
Connoisseur
ksiflhjla8 can differentiate black from dark navy blueksiflhjla8 can differentiate black from dark navy blueksiflhjla8 can differentiate black from dark navy blueksiflhjla8 can differentiate black from dark navy blueksiflhjla8 can differentiate black from dark navy blueksiflhjla8 can differentiate black from dark navy blueksiflhjla8 can differentiate black from dark navy blueksiflhjla8 can differentiate black from dark navy blueksiflhjla8 can differentiate black from dark navy blueksiflhjla8 can differentiate black from dark navy blueksiflhjla8 can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: Kobo Aura HD
this is way too complicated - I will stay with the Kobo
ksiflhjla8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 09:16 AM   #10
hawhill
Wizard
hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Mini
eureka: Ah right, it was the Touch. Yes, that was what I meant. I guess the situation is similar for the KPW, though. The internal socket for the WAN/3G card is somewhat common to all Kindle models, I think.

ksiflhkla8: Yep, it's a hardware hack for the Kindle.

Last edited by hawhill; 12-17-2012 at 09:19 AM.
hawhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 09:22 AM   #11
aranwe
Enthusiast

eureka: thank you very much .. if it is what i think it is then this is brilliant (have to read full thread)
Old 12-17-2012, 11:14 AM   #12
aranwe
Enthusiast

well i would not like to hijack this thread so move it as needed:
tried the lsusb but it cant open /sys/bus/usb/devices - no such file or directory ... there aint even /sys/bus/usb/ folder - which means to me that there is no usb support at all ... or am i missing sth?
Old 12-17-2012, 11:33 AM   #13
khseal
Enthusiast
khseal actually enjoys Vogon poetry.khseal actually enjoys Vogon poetry.khseal actually enjoys Vogon poetry.khseal actually enjoys Vogon poetry.khseal actually enjoys Vogon poetry.khseal actually enjoys Vogon poetry.khseal actually enjoys Vogon poetry.khseal actually enjoys Vogon poetry.khseal actually enjoys Vogon poetry.khseal actually enjoys Vogon poetry.khseal actually enjoys Vogon poetry.

Quote:
well i would not like to hijack this thread so move it as needed:
tried the lsusb but it cant open /sys/bus/usb/devices - no such file or directory ... there aint even /sys/bus/usb/ folder - which means to me that there is no usb support at all ... or am i missing sth?
In the subject of Debian is all written.
Be executed to start modprobe ehci-hcd.
khseal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 11:36 AM   #14
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Týr
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
[root@kindle root]# modprobe ehci-hcd
[root@kindle root]# lsusb
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002
twobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 11:59 AM   #15
khseal
Enthusiast
khseal actually enjoys Vogon poetry.khseal actually enjoys Vogon poetry.khseal actually enjoys Vogon poetry.khseal actually enjoys Vogon poetry.khseal actually enjoys Vogon poetry.khseal actually enjoys Vogon poetry.khseal actually enjoys Vogon poetry.khseal actually enjoys Vogon poetry.khseal actually enjoys Vogon poetry.khseal actually enjoys Vogon poetry.khseal actually enjoys Vogon poetry.

In Paperwhite other pinout! Disassemble it more difficult.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	paper.jpg
Views:	2156
Size:	187.1 KB
ID:	97827  
khseal is offline   Reply With Quote