Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 10-24-2007, 12:35 AM   #1
Armor78154
Armor78154 is no ebook tyro.Armor78154 is no ebook tyro.Armor78154 is no ebook tyro.Armor78154 is no ebook tyro.Armor78154 is no ebook tyro.Armor78154 is no ebook tyro.Armor78154 is no ebook tyro.Armor78154 is no ebook tyro.Armor78154 is no ebook tyro.

Device: Sony Reader
Book Designer MakeBook Error

The Book Designer application keeps crashing when I am trying to convert a particular .lit file to a .lrf file. What I see is the following script message when the problem occurs:

...converting html0 to lrs...0%

or it will also keep resetting between 100% and 0%.

The .lit file I am trying to convert has a couple of pictures in it and I do add about twenty page breaks into the file. I am not doing any hardcore reformatting.

Has anyone seen this problem before? If so, can you give me some possible issues?

Thanks.
Armor78154 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 06:11 AM   #2
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
I have the same problem. It has to do with the one file. If possible, delete the file and download a copy.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-24-2007, 10:43 AM   #3
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
WHat version of Book Designer are you using? Are you using the latest 07/30/2007 update? The previous update has some stability problems.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 01:00 PM   #4
Strether
Guru
Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1; iPad Air; iPhone 7; Kobo Libra; Kindle Oasis 3
I had the same thing happen to me recently, but mine was a big project with verses and a linked TOC and footnotes and represented hours and hours of work, almost all lost (when I reran BD, it loaded up some early version of the book that it got from who knows where.) I resolved never to make another book without saving a copy of the last file first.

If you're inclined to redo your work, you might save the last file first and if the book crashes again, load it from your saved copy and try it again and if it still crashes, strip something out of it to see if you can identify what's causing the crashes.

Are you causing page breaks where BD would automatically put them in anyway? Just a thought.

I feel your pain.

Jim
Strether is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 02:03 PM   #5
vvv
Zealot
vvv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.vvv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.vvv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.vvv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.vvv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.vvv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.vvv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.vvv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.vvv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.vvv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.vvv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iLiad, Librie, REB1100, GEB2150, GEB1150, etc
Quote:
Originally Posted by Armor78154 View Post
The Book Designer application keeps crashing when I am trying to convert a particular .lit file to a .lrf file. What I see is the following script message when the problem occurs:

...converting html0 to lrs...0%

or it will also keep resetting between 100% and 0%.

The .lit file I am trying to convert has a couple of pictures in it and I do add about twenty page breaks into the file. I am not doing any hardcore reformatting.

Has anyone seen this problem before? If so, can you give me some possible issues?

Thanks.
It may happen due to the bad tag tree. To check the tag tree in the loaded book, do as follows:
1. Tools -> Html Fragment Editor -> check "whole code"
2. If there are tree errors they will be reported and shown. Fix them manually and then press "apply"
vvv is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-24-2007, 02:20 PM   #6
Strether
Guru
Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Way too complicated technically for me, I'm afraid. I think I'll leave the more complex conversions to others.
Old 10-24-2007, 04:24 PM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Strether, you could always use lit2lrf and see if that works. Is this LIT one you bought?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 05:06 PM   #8
Strether
Guru

Nope. It was Fielding's Tom Jones, that I downloaded from PG, ran Stingo's macro on, and proceeded as usual. Figure I spent 25 hours or so on it, because you more or less had to read it all in order to find the verses. But I figure it could have been anything. The book had 23 footnotes and maybe I did something wrong there.
vvv's remarks may help some, but are useless to someone as unknowledgeable about computers as me.
Old 10-25-2007, 01:09 PM   #9
Armor78154
Armor78154 is no ebook tyro.Armor78154 is no ebook tyro.Armor78154 is no ebook tyro.Armor78154 is no ebook tyro.Armor78154 is no ebook tyro.Armor78154 is no ebook tyro.Armor78154 is no ebook tyro.Armor78154 is no ebook tyro.Armor78154 is no ebook tyro.

Device: Sony Reader
I did use the HTML Fragment Editor. The problem was a misplaced SPAN tag that was created during the conversion of the .lit file. When Book Designer got to that element, it wanted to create a Title element, but when it did, it put the SPAN tag before the DIV tag. I edited a couple of occurrences of this (including the BookDesigner blurb at the end of the file) and haven't had any problems since.
Armor78154 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 05:59 AM   #10
andyafro
Connoisseur
andyafro doesn't litterandyafro doesn't litter

Device: sony reader prs-500
Use Convert Lit to will turn it into an html and then load html into BD

Usually does the trick
andyafro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 03:42 PM   #11
vvv
Zealot
vvv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.vvv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.vvv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.vvv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.vvv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.vvv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.vvv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.vvv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.vvv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.vvv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.vvv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iLiad, Librie, REB1100, GEB2150, GEB1150, etc
Quote:
Originally Posted by Armor78154 View Post
I did use the HTML Fragment Editor. The problem was a misplaced SPAN tag that was created during the conversion of the .lit file. When Book Designer got to that element, it wanted to create a Title element, but when it did, it put the SPAN tag before the DIV tag. I edited a couple of occurrences of this (including the BookDesigner blurb at the end of the file) and haven't had any problems since.
There is another way to fix a bad tag tree: to create fb2 file (Ctrl+F5, "book for library" has to be checked), and then to load it to BD. During fb2 creation BD is checking carefully the book structure and trying to fix all the errors.

Last edited by vvv; 10-26-2007 at 03:45 PM.
vvv is offline   Reply With Quote