Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 04-13-2010, 11:15 AM   #1
jupstin
Groupie
jupstin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jupstin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jupstin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jupstin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jupstin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jupstin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jupstin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jupstin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jupstin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jupstin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jupstin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2
What happens to an e-ink screen when subjected to a strong EMP

Strange question, I realize, but does anyone have an idea of what would happen to the currently displayed screen on an e-ink reader if it was caught in the range of an ElectroMagnetic Pulse (like from a nuclear bomb or some non-nuclear EMP weapon.) I realize that the device would stop working, but would the current page continue to display or would it get all messed up?
jupstin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 11:40 AM   #2
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
I tried moving some strong magnets close to the screen... nothing happened I haven't tried with an NMR one, though
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-13-2010, 12:28 PM   #3
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Oooh, I can't wait to see how this turns out!
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 12:38 PM   #4
jupstin
Groupie
jupstin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jupstin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jupstin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jupstin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jupstin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jupstin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jupstin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jupstin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jupstin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jupstin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jupstin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

My main reason for asking this is a little project I've been thinking about, but it won't work as well if e-ink screens get all messed up in EMP's
Old 04-13-2010, 12:42 PM   #5
jgray
Fanatic
jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara 2E & Sage
The end of the story

...As the nuclear blast subsided, his Kindle, shielded from the brunt of the blast by his body, fell to the ground. Although the EMP had fried the circuitry, the display still rendered one final image--a silhouette, showing the look of surprise on his face.

How's that, Steve?
jgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-13-2010, 12:45 PM   #6
jupstin
Groupie

That rocks
Old 04-13-2010, 01:14 PM   #7
ahammer
cybershark
ahammer knows what time it isahammer knows what time it isahammer knows what time it isahammer knows what time it isahammer knows what time it isahammer knows what time it isahammer knows what time it isahammer knows what time it isahammer knows what time it isahammer knows what time it isahammer knows what time it is

I have seen some youtube(I will see if I can find it again) tests in the past where they have microwaved eink screens have been fine. I think the screen would likely still show up.

if the unit was powered off and was not very near to the emp source(near is factored by the size/power of the emp) the unit itself maybe fine. some units would be more likely to brake then others. anything with an (antennas/pluged in) will pick up more power from the emp more then anything that does not. so a sony would be better at pulling thru then kindle. being powered off helps as the system is not already have power push thru it at the rate it was rated for at giving it a buffer for the power serge.

http://www.newton.dep.anl.gov/askasc...9/eng99645.htm

that is how I understand it all.. but I'm a programmer(with a passion for science) not a Scientist.

edit: here is an video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DiQBEPwEYMc(not the one I saw before but it works) this is a very basic screen but it should seem work about the same on a more complex scale with a full screen.

Last edited by ahammer; 04-13-2010 at 01:21 PM.
ahammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 01:33 PM   #8
ahammer
cybershark
ahammer knows what time it isahammer knows what time it isahammer knows what time it isahammer knows what time it isahammer knows what time it isahammer knows what time it isahammer knows what time it isahammer knows what time it isahammer knows what time it isahammer knows what time it isahammer knows what time it is

one last point is that even if the hardware is fine.. your software is pry damage with all but the lightest emp without shielding.
ahammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 01:46 PM   #9
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Given that the way that eInk screens work is by charged particles moving in an electric field, I would think it more than likely that a screen display would be completely scrambled by EMP.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 01:57 PM   #10
jupstin
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Given that the way that eInk screens work is by charged particles moving in an electric field, I would think it more than likely that a screen display would be completely scrambled by EMP.
That's my thought as well, but I was hoping to be wrong. We'll see if anyone knows for sure
Old 04-13-2010, 02:02 PM   #11
mr ploppy
Feral Underclass
mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2nd hand paperback
Quote:
Originally Posted by jupstin View Post
That's my thought as well, but I was hoping to be wrong. We'll see if anyone knows for sure
Let's hope nobody ever finds out for sure.
mr ploppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 02:42 PM   #12
jupstin
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr ploppy View Post
Let's hope nobody ever finds out for sure.
Good point - I'll rephrase - I hope somebody makes me happy by having a strong theoretical reason for thinking the screen would not be messed up
Old 04-13-2010, 03:27 PM   #13
dmaul1114
Wizard
dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle 1
I'd think even if the screen was fine, other parts of the electronics, the memory (books, the operating system) etc. would be fried/wiped out.
dmaul1114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 04:23 PM   #14
Angst
Cannon Fodder
Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350, Kindle DX, Kindle Paperwhite
Considering that light is a weak form of electromagnetic radiation and my eink screen fades in direct sunlight, emp would destroy the image completely.
Angst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 06:52 AM   #15
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
However, the particles move in the field created between the top and bottom layers of the screen; I'm not sure that would be affected by a large-scale field.
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote