Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 12-13-2009, 03:19 PM   #16
neilmarr
neilmarr
neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony
Ebook reading will NEVER take off while we have to talk over all this nonsense. Buying and reading a book should be as easy for ebook readers as it is for those who pick up a treebook. I for one can't keep up with all this messing. It bores the tears out of me. I just want to grab a virtual spine and read. Whatever happened to KISS? Neil
neilmarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 03:51 PM   #17
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by sahmad88 View Post
Please forgive my ignorance in this post, but I am a bit confused about something.

It seems like people were pretty jazzed about the Sony Reader Store going to epub because it is a more universal format. Or at least that is the impression I had. But what good is this format if it is DRM-ed?

As an experiment, I tried buying a book from Barnes & Noble in epub. I made sure it was inexpensive because I knew this might not work. I tried to put it on my Sony Reader and of course it says my reader is not authorized. I wasn't surprised, but I was hoping it would let me enter in my information to "unlock" the book for this device.

So if we are still locked in to using purchases on specific devices, then what good is epub? Like I said, sorry if this is a dumb question, but I feel like I am missing something here.
Unless I'm mistaken, B&N don't have epub available yet. What book did you buy?

Epub is standard. DRM is not necessarily. If the B&N server allows you to register you Sony Device then you would be able to read it there.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-13-2009, 04:19 PM   #18
sahmad88
Zealot
sahmad88 will become famous soon enoughsahmad88 will become famous soon enoughsahmad88 will become famous soon enoughsahmad88 will become famous soon enoughsahmad88 will become famous soon enoughsahmad88 will become famous soon enough

Device: nook color
Kennyc,
As we all have been saying, BN does have epub now. At least some books. I also stated I knew it might not work, but since it was epub I wanted to try it. It didn't work but no big deal. I can read this one book on my phone or computer. It is not like it was a waste.

Thanks again everyone for your help
sahmad88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 04:27 PM   #19
kennyc
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Kennyc,
As we all have been saying, BN does have epub now. At least some books. I also stated I knew it might not work, but since it was epub I wanted to try it. It didn't work but no big deal. I can read this one book on my phone or computer. It is not like it was a waste.

Thanks again everyone for your help
All? You are the first I've seen that say they have actually purchased an EPUB from B&N.

So what book was it and is it possible to tell the format before you purchase?

Are you reading it (the epub) on your desktop reader? does it work on your phone as well? Did you have to upgrade your phone application to read it?

Last edited by kennyc; 12-13-2009 at 04:30 PM.
Old 12-13-2009, 04:37 PM   #20
kennyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
Yes. The only thing to be sure about is that your copy of Desktop Adobe Digital Editions is using the same AdobeID as your Sony. One way to check is to confirm that ADE can read one of your Sony ePubs. This matters because 3rd party ePubs are typically downloaded by Desktop ADE.

That's one I had not tried yet, but just did with the epub I purchased from Sony Bookstore. Loaded and displayed fine in Adobe DE.
Advert
Old 12-13-2009, 04:41 PM   #21
kennyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirmaru View Post

I did download a free sample of a BN book yesterday and Sony 3.1 could read it. Today I downloaded a new sample of a BN book and Sony 3.1 could NOT read it. It appears the DRM mechanism is EVOLVING.

Please provide the names of these books so others can try the same thing.

There appear to be a plethora of complaints/bugs/issues with the Sony Library Application but I have not experienced any issues. I'm am also very anxious to see everyone in the epub format and eventually drm free!
Old 12-13-2009, 04:44 PM   #22
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
All? You are the first I've seen that say they have actually purchased an EPUB from B&N.

Are you reading it (the epub) on your desktop reader? does it work on your phone as well? Did you have to upgrade your phone application to read it?
I did purchase a free epUb from B&N and it's not possible to tell the format before you buy it. So when you buy a book from B&N, it's a crapshoot. Plus, with the DRM used on the ePub from B&N, you cannot use them with any other readers out there. The link below is to the free eBook (with DRM) in ePub from B&N.

http://search.barnesandnoble.com/Sta...?cds2Pid=29905
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 04:55 PM   #23
kennyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I did purchase a free epUb from B&N and it's not possible to tell the format before you buy it. So when you buy a book from B&N, it's a crapshoot. Plus, with the DRM used on the ePub from B&N, you cannot use them with any other readers out there. The link below is to the free eBook (with DRM) in ePub from B&N.

http://search.barnesandnoble.com/Sta...?cds2Pid=29905
Thanks Jon. Clearly I was not aware they were even offering them and I am a B&N member etc. Hopefully we can get these differences/issues sussed out.

So do you know if all the B&N eReader apps (for mobile devices and computer app) have been updated to read both B&N Epub as well as eReader format?
Old 12-13-2009, 05:59 PM   #24
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
Adobe Digital Editions 1.7

I installed the latest Adobe Digital Editions 1.7 today.

It can read the free sample from BN I downloaded yesterday and all free PDF books I have on my PC. However, it does not recognize the free sample from BN I downloaded today and does not recognize any of my Sony books at all.

However, my Sony books are still BBeB versions. The BN sample from yesterday is a non-DRM ePub book. The Sony 3.1 software shows the types (BBeB or ePub).

Because of this confusion it pays to use BN software to read BN books and Sony software to read Sony books. My Adobe DE will probably not be used much by me at all. I use Amazon software to read Amazon books.

Since I'm getting that Sony PRS 900 very soon, I'll stick mostly to Sony books with an occasional one from BN or Amazon.

I authorized my Adobe Digital Editions for my PC. Hopefully, all these books will only use DRM / PC protection (+ eReader Device) and make it standard. Then we could buy DRM protected books and read them with any software.

Last edited by sirmaru; 12-13-2009 at 06:02 PM.
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 07:13 PM   #25
sahmad88
Zealot
sahmad88 will become famous soon enoughsahmad88 will become famous soon enoughsahmad88 will become famous soon enoughsahmad88 will become famous soon enoughsahmad88 will become famous soon enoughsahmad88 will become famous soon enough

Device: nook color
Quote:

Sorry, many people were just referencing the encryption that BN uses with their epubs, but yes, I was the only one that mentioned buying one. I bought The Face on the Milk Carton. It is epub and I can read it on my desktop. I am not sure if you would have to update the application, because I just re-downloaded after having deleted it a while back.
sahmad88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 09:21 PM   #26
kennyc

Quote:
Sorry, many people were just referencing the encryption that BN uses with their epubs, but yes, I was the only one that mentioned buying one. I bought The Face on the Milk Carton. It is epub and I can read it on my desktop. I am not sure if you would have to update the application, because I just re-downloaded after having deleted it a while back.

Thanks. I just updated my desktop software today after reading this thread and have learned that apparently there is no way to know before purchasing if the books is epub or ereader. It does seem that they are using the new Adobe DRM which is different and/or incompatible with the previous version.

Thanks for the information and for starting this thread!
Old 12-14-2009, 05:52 AM   #27
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
Names and formats of test books.

Quote:
Please provide the names of these books so others can try the same thing.
I downloaded from the BN site the following samples:

"Every Man Dies Alone" in ePub format.
"Holy Bible NIV" in PDB format.

My Sony 3.1 software recognized the ePub format book but not the PDB book.

I'm glad you asked since I had thought that the NIV book was also ePub. It was NOT.

Now I have some hope again that the Sony 3.1 software WILL be able to read BN ePub books. The only flaw there is that the BN site does not say which format each book uses. Its all hit and miss whether it is ePub or not.

However, if one downloads a sample first, maybe that will give the clue. To be sure of the format go to the directory where the book is stored and the format is displayed there under "Type." The Sony 3.1 software has to import the BN book.

Then it can be copied to Collections and Portable Devices. It appears the ePub books are linked to only one computer but can be linked to up to 5 Portable Devices (eReaders). It appears that Adobe, BN and Sony all use the same way to determine the authorized computer and are mutually compatible due to that method of DRM.

I notice that the Sony 3.1 software cannot read the BN books on a 2 page display like it does for the Sony books. However, that is just a minor inconvenience.

Last edited by sirmaru; 12-14-2009 at 05:58 AM.
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 07:25 AM   #28
kennyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirmaru View Post
I downloaded from the BN site the following samples:

"Every Man Dies Alone" in ePub format.
"Holy Bible NIV" in PDB format.
Thanks for that. I did learn (on the B&N forum) that someone was able to load a "Sony" (old drm) DRM epub onto their nook by authorizing the nook in the Adobe DE application/library. The reverse doesn't appear to work though, but I do not have a nook so it might still be possible if the nook were registered with Adobe DE -- I've asked that question there and await the answer.
Old 12-14-2009, 07:34 AM   #29
kennyc

Wow, that B&N software is buggy. I downloaded the (Every Man Dies Alone) sample and it wouldn't show up. I enabled "automatic" downloads, refreshed, etc. and it kept saying it was downloading, but never showed up in the list until I shut the app down and restarted it.

The sample is NOT DRM'd. I can open it in anything.
Old 12-14-2009, 07:44 AM   #30
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Thanks Jon. Clearly I was not aware they were even offering them and I am a B&N member etc. Hopefully we can get these differences/issues sussed out.

So do you know if all the B&N eReader apps (for mobile devices and computer app) have been updated to read both B&N Epub as well as eReader format?
The B&N Desktop Reader will read ePub from B&N with their new DRM. It's the only program that will handle the DRM.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote