Notices

Old 03-17-2008, 05:15 PM   #1
binzer
Zealot
binzer doesn't litterbinzer doesn't litter

Device: Cybook Gen3
My Cybook is here!

Looks like you just got owned Halk!

Anyways, the bad news is that I'm at work, and haven't even seen the box it shipped in yet :P I probably won't even have it charged until about 10pm, but I'll post later with my initial thoughts.

binzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 05:23 PM   #2
Halk
Fanatic
Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 (PRS+ alpha - thanks Kartu!)
Congratulations! You won the race :/

No sign of mine as yet, although it's still well within Bookeens timescales.
Halk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-18-2008, 05:29 AM   #3
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
May I ask you why did you choose CyBook over Sony Reader?

(I am just curious, no hidden irony or sarcasm or anything).
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 07:04 AM   #4
magiske
magiske began at the beginning.

Device: CyBook Gen 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by astra View Post
May I ask you why did you choose CyBook over Sony Reader?

(I am just curious, no hidden irony or sarcasm or anything).
I can tell you that I choose the CyBook because it supports MobiPocket.
And not Sony's proprietary ebook format..

/M
magiske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 07:10 AM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by magiske View Post
I can tell you that I choose the CyBook because it supports MobiPocket.
And not Sony's proprietary ebook format..

/M
That was my primary reason for choosing the Gen3 too. The extra features it supports over the Sony (dictionary lookup, adding your own fonts, proper support for font families, user-replaceable battery) are additional benefits, but it was Mobi support that was the clincher for me.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-18-2008, 01:17 PM   #6
binzer
Zealot
binzer doesn't litterbinzer doesn't litter

Device: Cybook Gen3
Like the people who just posted, I liked mobi support, dictionary support, and also felt better about having a usable warranty (since I'm in Canada). I didn't want to have to deal with any hassle as a result of not being American.

Anyways, I used it a fair bit last night, and I love it! The screen is absolutely fantastic (imo) and the grey doesn't bother me at all. I read 'til exhaustion, so I increased the font size when I started getting really tired, and it was a very nice feature to have (I even got to read without glasses!).

I also read in bed with my regular bed-side lamp and found the page very easy to read. In a way it was easier than a pback, since with a pback the 2 pages are at different angles and it's not always easy to keep both lit.

Anyways, there are certainly some things about the Cybook that could use some work. The navigation doesn't seem great to me. It's not bad, but I think some little tweaks would make it better. For example, when I bring up the menu while reading, I would like the cursor position to stay persistent (so if Lookup is the last thing I did, that's where I would like the cursor to still be).

I've also been reading in the case (which folds back wonderfully), but the page turn button is awfully hard to click with the leather in the way. I solved the problem by inserting a small strip of foam over the right-hand button (and tucking it under the cover) and now it works fantastically, but I don't think consumers should be expected to do that :P The magnet already seems to be working better than when I got it, but I would still like a secure clasp (since it'll be rolling around in my purse). I will probably make a clasp or put an elastic around it.

Also, like many others, I would like the Cybook to boot directly to my current page when I start it up (especially if it turned off automatically). This isn't a huge deal, but I would expect it in a future firmware upgrade (along with folders!).

At first I thought the page-turn speed and refresh flash was annoying, but after about 15 minutes of reading I didn't even notice it (much like I don't notice my hand crossing in front of my vision when I turn the page of pback).

Overall I am thrilled, and can't wait to have it with me wherever I go. I can't imagine how I've gone so long without one!

Btw, for anyone interested, BooksonBoard is fantastic to deal with (if you're buying a Cybook). I think they have them in stock still, so go buy one :P
binzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 04:25 PM   #7
bwaldron
Wizard
bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles: Paperwhite Signature Ed., Oasis 2, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by binzer View Post
Btw, for anyone interested, BooksonBoard is fantastic to deal with (if you're buying a Cybook). I think they have them in stock still, so go buy one :P
Actually, I did buy one from them this morning -- should be here in a few days.

(And glad I got my order in, as they are now out of stock again.)

EDIT: and it has arrived and is charging.

Last edited by bwaldron; 03-20-2008 at 06:33 PM.
bwaldron is offline   Reply With Quote