Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 07-07-2012, 07:36 AM   #61
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4SO, Kindle for Android, Sony PRS-350 and PRS-T1
I just realized that I have spent money just not on the Kindle but also on three different Sony Readers, a T-1 and two PRS-350. On the other hand, I have been able to enjoy the musings here on MobileRead, and that is priceless-
Kumabjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 09:16 AM   #62
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2nd gen, Sony DPTS1, iPad Pro 10.5"
Well, let me tell you this ...

I used to buy SQL books every month, sometimes two or three. On average, each book is about 40 dollars. Same book, Kindle format , is about 50% less, 20 dollars, sometimes even less. I've paid 11 bucks for a computer book.

Trade in? never did that because who wants a SQL 2000 book when we're now in Denali or SQL 2012? hahahaha... plus those damm books were heavy as hell, 1k pages some of them. Having all those books on a 8oz weight device is awesome.

Overall, I think I've saved a bit. Not to mention physical space at home.

Now, regular titles or novels? I think I am losing money. Like other one said, I can't trade-in plus somehow, having classic titles on paper may be better long term? Anyway, I barely buy paper books, unless it's not available on Kindle format.
jocampo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-07-2012, 09:20 AM   #63
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumabjorn View Post
I remember the savings I made when I lived in Tokyo and Amazon opened up for business. I could buy three or four paperbacks for the price of one hard cover at Maruzen or Kinokuniya. Paperbacks wouldn't even arrive in Japan until sx months later.
eBooks are a Godsend for expatriates.

Did you like Tokyo, are you Asian or American?
Old 07-07-2012, 09:58 AM   #64
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by jocampo View Post

Given that she lives in Sweden, I'd imagine the answer is "neither" .
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 10:01 AM   #65
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jocampo View Post

Neither.
Advert
Old 07-07-2012, 10:02 AM   #66
Cdesja5
Wizard
Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lots and lots of electronic gadgets...
How I wish ebooks had been available 30 years ago! My preferred language for reading is English and when I lived in Québec City English books were difficult to find and choice was very limited. French books were always much more expensive, pretty much double the price!
In Montreal I frequented the second hand book stores, lots of English books available but space in the house became an issue!
I love that I can get library books without leaving home, public domain books for free and can "shop" around for the best deal without going from one place to another. Also a big plus for me is that for vacations I can bring 1 ereader with hundreds of books in my suitcase instead of limiting myself to 3 or 4...and not haul around that added weight.
It's saved me time, space and money because I would have read just as much as I do now with my ereader. So ebooks is not just about the money, it's about choice, convenience and space for me!

Last edited by Cdesja5; 07-07-2012 at 10:08 AM.
Cdesja5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 10:06 AM   #67
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Given that she lives in Sweden, I'd imagine the answer is "neither" .
Harry!
You're my knight in rusty armour.

And yes, I did like it. But when I was ready for children there were a lot of places that are more desirable than Tokyo.
Old 07-07-2012, 11:58 AM   #68
jocampo
Layback feline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumabjorn View Post
Harry!
You're my knight in rusty armour.

And yes, I did like it. But when I was ready for children there were a lot of places that are more desirable than Tokyo.
I love Japan ... when HP was going to transfer me, I put that Country on the list. Of course, never happened, lol ...

Like their culture, Aikido and hope one day I can learn Japanese as well.
Old 07-07-2012, 12:17 PM   #69
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
I too lived in Japan for a few years. I have always loved Japanese Culture and The Martial Arts. I used to speak Japanese, but to many years of disuse and it is mostly gone.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 01:16 PM   #70
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic

Time to get a Skype friend in Japan.
Japanese needs to be maintained, it is so different that it requires constant usage.
Old 07-07-2012, 01:17 PM   #71
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
I haven't saved money, but I have saved time and vast amounts of frustration. I live in a small Northrn community 6 monts of the year and there are no books or even magazines for sale. There is a small library, but I long ago read all of the books I was vaguely interested in and requests are limited and slow (6-8 weeks) to arrive.

My home libray has 15381 ebooks of which usually more than half have copies available.

My favorite genre is mystery and the BC Library to go has over 2000 mystery/suspense books of which 481 are available today. Coincidentally this is approximately the total number of mystery/suspense books that they had in April 2010.

I have possibly saved money on actual books as I haven't bought as many due to the library selection, but the price of the ereaders I own is still over the amount I used to spend on books in several years. Not a penny of it was wasted though IMO.

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 03:23 PM   #72
mikeayers
Zealot
mikeayers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikeayers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikeayers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikeayers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikeayers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikeayers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikeayers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikeayers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikeayers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikeayers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikeayers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 10thGen, Kobo Clara HD
Do you need to add the cost of a bigger house to store all the pbooks you would have bought if you didn't have an e-reader?
mikeayers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 05:35 PM   #73
Sydney's Mom
Wizard
Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Fire 3d Gen and 5th Gen and Samsung Tab S
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I've saved an enormous amount of money. I would certainly have needed to buy a bigger house were it not for eBooks.
True.

I used to make 4-6 trips to the bookstore each year. Each time, I would spend between $100 and $150. I no longer do that, and now before I buy a book, I first check to see if it is available as an ebook at the library. From there, it is only one click to get on the reservation list for the pbook at my library. So unless I feel strongly about supporting the author, I don't purchase the book.

Spoiler:
Unfortunately, by opening up space that used to be used for books, I guess I unconsciously decided to fill it with yarn. I have 3 bookcases full of unread books (mysteries), and 3 bookcases full of yarn.
Sydney's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 06:43 PM   #74
rdfry
loving the books
rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Rooted Nook, Galaxy Tab Pro 8.4, Galaxy Note 5, 2 Fire 7s Note 8
I have spent more on the Nook than I have on books. I used to spend thousands, even using the library. Now i am on an austerity program and only buy a few books. I pretty much use all of my many libraries now.
rdfry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 08:08 PM   #75
spindlegirl
Wizard
spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra h20, Paperwhite 2017, Phone & Tablet w Moonreader
I am someone who actually likes the classics (as opposed to "just settling for" them because they are freebies) so it was win/win for me. I am fussy about modern literature, and have seen very little that is worth the price, to me. Closest I have come is "The Fault in our Stars" by John Green. I may make a Christmas request for it

I also like to download the freebies at Smashwords. It has made getting an e-reader very much worth it for me.

The expensive books, I just keep reading them at the library like I always have.

Last edited by spindlegirl; 07-07-2012 at 08:32 PM.
spindlegirl is offline   Reply With Quote