Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 05-03-2010, 12:27 PM   #16
JCKobo
Kobo Product Guy
JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.

Device: Kobo Vox
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duiker View Post
Thank you for letting me know. However that is pretty disappointing news and even more disappointing that kobo hasn't made any effort to let people know on their website. I really hope it gets updated ASAP.
Duiker, et. al. James is right on the money here - this bug exists on 4.5 firmware on the BB Curve 8300 series ONLY. Newer devices and operating systems will work fine.

We've also heard from RIM that they will be releasing a fix that will allow this to work on 8300 Curves (8500 and 8900s work already).

Once it comes out, the software will automatically show the option.
JCKobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 12:49 AM   #17
djdragan
djdragan began at the beginning.

Device: kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by jameswu View Post
Hi everyone,
Quick introduction - I work for Kobo, and was directly involved in the design and implementation of this sync feature on BB.

Unfortunately, we encountered an issue with BB OS4.5 that made the syncing process unreliable. We made a last minute decision late last week to remove the feature on this OS. The eReader had already shipped, so the documentation could not be updated.

We have been told that a fix for the OS that will address the issue will be available by mid May, but obviously have no control over that. When it is available, we will be able to re-enable the feature for devices running OS4.5.

Hope that helps,

James

p.s. Opinions I may share here are my own and shouldn't be considered as an 'official' Kobo response.

Thanks for the info James. Are there similar issues with Blackberry's with OS5? I have a storm running OS5 and am having the same issue as the OP. I am running Kobo app version 1.3.629, this is the most recent version I can find. I still do not see an option to transfer the book in the app.
djdragan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 01:50 AM   #18
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Quote:
Originally Posted by somecanuck View Post
Will it really only work with Blackberry? I don't see why it shouldn't sync with any Bluetooth device.
I was able to send a file from a Vista machine with Bluetooth to the Kobo
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 10:01 AM   #19
jameswu
Kobo
jameswu began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
Unfortunately, our latest release did not include the Storm version of the app. So your BB is still running the older version of our app, which did not support BT transfer. Sorry!

James

Quote:
Originally Posted by djdragan View Post
Thanks for the info James. Are there similar issues with Blackberry's with OS5? I have a storm running OS5 and am having the same issue as the OP. I am running Kobo app version 1.3.629, this is the most recent version I can find. I still do not see an option to transfer the book in the app.
jameswu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 10:41 AM   #20
timlegge
Addict
timlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than mom

Device: Kobo, Kobo Wifi, Kobo Touch
Quote:
Unfortunately, our latest release did not include the Storm version of the app. So your BB is still running the older version of our app, which did not support BT transfer. Sorry!

James
If possible release some docs on the syncing process. It would be nice if someone could develop a server that could send books to the device via bluetooth instead of a requiring the USB cable

Tim
timlegge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 10:54 AM   #21
djdragan

Quote:

James

Well that explains things. Is a Storm verson of the app in the works?
Old 05-21-2010, 01:16 PM   #22
Stinger
Asha'man
Stinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-books

Quote:
this bug exists on 4.5 firmware on the BB Curve 8300 series ONLY. Newer devices and operating systems will work fine.
Quote:

Am I the only one that see's the contradiction in these 2 statements?
Stinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 04:09 PM   #23
djdragan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinger View Post
Am I the only one that see's the contradiction in these 2 statements?
Yes definately a contridiction there, but as a Storm owner for about a year and a half now, I have become accustomed to hearing " Unfortunately, our latest release did not include the Storm version of the app."
Old 05-25-2010, 12:03 PM   #24
jameswu
Kobo

Quote:
Well that explains things. Is a Storm verson of the app in the works?
Unfortunately, I don't have an idea at the moment as to when/if the Storm app will be updated. I know we aren't working on it right now, primarily as we are currently focusing our efforts on Android.

Sorry :-(

But, if there is strong interest in the Storm community, owners should let us know. It will help us prioritize our development efforts...
Old 05-25-2010, 12:15 PM   #25
jameswu
Kobo

Quote:
Yes definately a contridiction there, but as a Storm owner for about a year and a half now, I have become accustomed to hearing " Unfortunately, our latest release did not include the Storm version of the app."
Hmmm, yes. That was unintentional, I'm sure. Let the record be straight, at least for now - there is no sync support on Storm or on 4.5OS Curve 8300s.
Old 05-25-2010, 04:16 PM   #26
djdragan

Quote:
Unfortunately, I don't have an idea at the moment as to when/if the Storm app will be updated. I know we aren't working on it right now, primarily as we are currently focusing our efforts on Android.

Sorry :-(

But, if there is strong interest in the Storm community, owners should let us know. It will help us prioritize our development efforts...
Well, put me down as very interested in a Storm version. The ability to transfer wirelessly via my BB was one of the appealing features of the Kobo.
Old 06-28-2010, 01:15 PM   #27
triffids
BookWorm
triffids began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo eReader (1st generation)
So, do we know if 8300 series Bluetooth compatibility will be included in the eagerly-awaited firmware update?

(My Mom has an 8330 ... and is more than a little disappointed to know she can't use her Blackberry to buy books and sync them with her Kobo eReader. Bluetooth sync works great with my 8900.)
triffids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 12:04 PM   #28
manda243
manda243 began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by triffids View Post
(My Mom has an 8330 ... and is more than a little disappointed to know she can't use her Blackberry to buy books and sync them with her Kobo eReader. Bluetooth sync works great with my 8900.)
I'm with your mom here....does anyone have any news from RIM on when we can expect an update?
Unfortunately, I've heard that us poor 8300 series owners are stuck with firmware v4.5 as our phones are unable to handle anything bigger so it would be great if they would make it usable for 4.5 users!
manda243 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 11:39 AM   #29
mynameiskate
mynameiskate began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo, Sony Touch
Question Bluetooth pairing with iPhone

So, I just got my Kobo yesterday. I'm trying to get used to it - not quite *loving* it yet, but am hopeful.

I guess I didn't read the fine print too closely on the site b/c when it said that the Kobo synced over Bluetooth, I thought it meant all Bluetooth.

I have the Kobo app on my iPhone and just discovered that it doesn't sync with iPhone. Does anyone know - is this on the development team's timetable?

Thanks! Kate
mynameiskate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 11:49 AM   #30
pholy
Booklegger
pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook(1 & 2010), PEZ, PRS-505, Kobo BT, PRS-T1, Playbook, Kobo Touch
I don't think the developers' roadmap has been discussed much -except by customers.

I'd like to see the Bluetooth syncing opened up so that I could Bluetooth books from my computer. This apparently works, but doesn't force the processing phase that unplugging from the computer does.
pholy is offline   Reply With Quote