Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 09-16-2004, 07:56 PM   #1
cbarnett
MR prodigal son
cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
Thomas Covanent is back!

For those of us that remember, Stephen R Donaldson wrote two trilogies back in the late 70's and early 80's, dealing with a leper called Thomas Covenant, thrown into a fantasy setting he was definately not prepared for.

I had a bit of a love/hate relationship with these books at the time; they were great to read, with detailed characters and plot (the main character is one of the most flawed I've ever encountered), but the writing style of Donaldson was very challenging for me at the time, and I really needed a dictionary to get through it (and English is my first language!).

Having said that, these books helped set my on the path of fantasy reading (along with LOTR), and I've never looked back.

It appears, though, that the story isn't over yet, and 20 years later, a final trilogy is being released to complete the story of Thomas Covenant, the Unbeliever. This partial interview with Stephen Donaldson reveals a little about it, and the first book, The Runes of the Earth, will be released next month.

I'm certainly looking forward to it.

Craig.
cbarnett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2004, 11:24 AM   #2
Colin Dunstan
Is papyrophobic!
Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Dell Axim
Ahh... another (and if I understood Donaldson correctly, the final last) Chronicles of Thomas Covenant the Unbeliever!

I think Donaldson's books have never received the recognition they deserve. With powerful and complex fantasy stories, unexpected plots, sub-plots, and a host of magical beings so believably rendered you'd believe you might bump into them on your way to the bookstore, they have everything a fantasy fan can dream of (and are next in league to novels by Tolkien and George RR Martin).

If you are interested in reading this wonderful Covenant series, make sure to start from the beginning. There are six previous novels, in chronical order: Lord Foul's Bane, The Illearth War, The Power That Preserves, The Wounded Land, The One Tree, and White Gold Wielder.
Colin Dunstan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-17-2004, 12:16 PM   #3
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Newsnet already has a small review (with spoilers!) on the new book.
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2004, 07:05 PM   #4
cbarnett
MR prodigal son
cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
Hopefully the ebook version won't be too far behind the hard cover release....

Craig.
cbarnett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2004, 11:44 PM   #5
Gatton
Groupie
Gatton has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Gatton has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Gatton has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Gatton has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2021, assorted Fire tablets.
Very cool. I just re-read Lord Foul's Bane (1st book of the 1st trilogy) not long ago. I never did make it to the second trilogy so this is as good a reason as any to continue starting over. And what Craig said is absolutely true. If you've never read them Thomas Covenant is a supreme example of the anti-hero. You will hate the guy but he's an interesting character and the abrupt ending of the book makes you want to jump right into the second one.

Thanks for the heads up.
Gatton is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-01-2011, 08:32 AM   #6
hodad66
Beachside Member
hodad66 doesn't litterhodad66 doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS-505, Kindle 3
I'm currently rereading the series and about to begin "The Power That Preserves". I sure wish that I could find these on ebook for my Sony......
hodad66 is offline   Reply With Quote