Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 03-08-2008, 06:00 PM   #1
johngreen99
johngreen99 began at the beginning.

Device: none
Iliad flipbar landscape use/price/hanlin

I am inching ever closer to buying an Iliad.
I have a few last questions:

1) Because I will probably be reading alot of A4 PDFs i will have to use it in landscape mode. How is it's usability in this mode? Changing pages etc.

2) Any hint of a price drop. I have a feeling as soon as I buy one the price will drop (has happened to me before )

3) Perhaps i should wait for the Hanlin A4 device? However i have the feeling I will be waiting for quite some time...

Thanks again for your help.
johngreen99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 07:41 PM   #2
daudi
Addict
daudi has learned how to read e-booksdaudi has learned how to read e-booksdaudi has learned how to read e-booksdaudi has learned how to read e-booksdaudi has learned how to read e-booksdaudi has learned how to read e-booksdaudi has learned how to read e-booksdaudi has learned how to read e-books

Device: iRex iLiad, Psion 5MX, nokia n800
Quote:
Originally Posted by johngreen99 View Post
I am inching ever closer to buying an Iliad.
I have a few last questions:

1) Because I will probably be reading alot of A4 PDFs i will have to use it in landscape mode. How is it's usability in this mode? Changing pages etc.
I think it works pretty well. Single column PDFs with continuous mode in landscape are very good, each flip of the flipbar takes you down half a page. In landscape mode zoom is about 90% of normal size, so it's like being able to see half a page at a time.

If you read multi-column PDFs, such as journal articles, there are two community versions of the PDF viewer that help to follow the columns. They use different strategies and both work well in my opinion. With these you read the pdf in portrait mode and can easily get 100% of normal size as you follow the columns.
daudi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-08-2008, 11:58 PM   #3
MarkRPenn
Connoisseur
MarkRPenn began at the beginning.

Device: Irex Iliad
It doesn't automatically follow that because your pdf's are A4 you'll be reading in landscape. Most of mine are A4, and I read in portrait without issue - they simply scale to fit the screen.

It's only if you have to read at full size (nearly) you'll need landscape.

If you want to annotate, you'll need to calibrate your stylus differently for landscape to portrait, which is a pain.

Mark
MarkRPenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 05:43 AM   #4
johngreen99
johngreen99 began at the beginning.

Device: none
In landscape mode do you still use the flipbar to change pages? Is it comfortable at the top? Can you assign anything else to change pages?
johngreen99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 06:56 AM   #5
daudi
Addict
daudi has learned how to read e-booksdaudi has learned how to read e-booksdaudi has learned how to read e-booksdaudi has learned how to read e-booksdaudi has learned how to read e-booksdaudi has learned how to read e-booksdaudi has learned how to read e-booksdaudi has learned how to read e-books

Device: iRex iLiad, Psion 5MX, nokia n800
Yes, you (can) use the flipbar. I find it okay. You can also use the stylus to drag pages if that feels more comfortable. Sometimes I prefer to do that (I'm not always sure why though ). I don't think you can assign any other button to change pages, although it might be possible to tweak the pdf viewer to do so. That's a bit beyond my area of expertise though.
daudi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert