Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 03-30-2014, 04:18 AM   #1
paola
Wizard
paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Pro 903, (beloved Pocketbook 360 RIP), Kobo Mini, Kobo Aura
The end of Kobo Mini (at least in the UK)?

Over the past year and a half I must have seen at least four sales of the Kobo Minis, if not more, and each time I feared it would be the end of the Mini, but each time it kept on going. Now however I see that on the WHSmith site the Mini is reduced but out of stock - has anybody in the know got any rumors on the Mini being phased out? My husband just lost his other 5" reader, and I guess I could get another Mini from a brick and mortar store, but even if I could find any remaining stock, I wonder whether it would make sense to buy a model being phased out.

Of course, it may be just me being paranoid!
paola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 04:37 AM   #2
TechniSol
GranPohbah-Fezzes r cool!
TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STRs, Kobo Touch, Kobo Glo
I'll bet it comes down to simple economics. My guess is that a Mini and a Glo probably cost nearly the same to build with the exception of the slightly larger front lit screen and external sdhc card socket on the Glo. If that is a relatively small difference then they make a lot more off a Glo than they do a Mini. If they're still making the Touch(?), and all the newer devices are front lit, it begs the question of how many lower end non lighted devices they need and that having two very similar devices except for screen size requires a larger expenditure to get batches made in quantity and probably just fragments their product line and costs them more to keep.

All that said, if they came out with a front lit Mini at a price point between the mini and the Glo I'd probably be in line for one -my guess is they make more money on the Glo or Aura at nearly the same size.
TechniSol is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-30-2014, 05:00 AM   #3
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra2, Clara 2e, Kindle PW SE & Kindle 2022
When I bought the Aura in WHSmith they had it next to the Mini, tbh size wise there wasn't much in it as the Aura has a smaller frame. When you look at it like that I can understand why the Mini is probably being phased out as it is old non lighted technology.
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 05:04 AM   #4
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
I'm not sure if that is a good indication of the Mini coming to an end. Here in Australia, the Mini has been the most frequently discounted of the Kobo ereaders. If you wanted one, you just had to wait a week or to for it to be offered somewhere at about 40% off.

But, there have been reports here that it has been discontinued. I haven't seen a confirmation from Kobo, but the firmware hasn't been updated for a long time. When I have asked about this on the beta list, I haven't had a reply. If it has been discontinued, I don't think that there are plans for a replacement. I think that if a similar specced device was planned, they would use the Mini as a test bed for the firmware and keep updating it.

As to whether to buy one, why not? Just because Kobo might have discontinued it, doesn't mean it will stop working. From reports, the released 2.6.2 firmware works well and 2.8.1 runs fine on it. The only reason to hesitate is if you thought another product was coming and you wanted to see it first. But, if there is something coming, we haven't heard of it, so it won't be soon. If you can get the Mini cheap, then you can afford to upgrade sooner if something good does come out.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 05:34 AM   #5
Canuck_in_Japan
Wizard
Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura, Aura H2O, Kindle PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josieb1 View Post
When I bought the Aura in WHSmith they had it next to the Mini, tbh size wise there wasn't much in it as the Aura has a smaller frame. When you look at it like that I can understand why the Mini is probably being phased out as it is old non lighted technology.
Yes if you want a mini then get an Aura. While it is more expensive, the Aura is clearly superior technology and it's footprint I'd actually quite small. I can easily fit it in a jacket pocket and if you can do that I don't see why you would want it to be any smaller. The only reason would be to comfortably fit in your trouser pocket but then you run the risk of cracking the screen whenever you sit down.
Canuck_in_Japan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-30-2014, 07:31 AM   #6
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
I don't expect the Mini to die.

I happen to know that E-ink has a high resolution (265ppi) 5" screen in the works. I wouldn't be surprised if that showed up in the next Mini.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 07:34 AM   #7
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
I don't expect the Mini to die.

I happen to know that E-ink has a high resolution (265ppi) 5" screen in the works. I wouldn't be surprised if that showed up in the next Mini.
Any hint that it will also have a front light?
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 09:18 AM   #8
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
I've always thought that the Mini being the most frequently discounted of the Kobo line is a huge indication that it's the poorest seller. And just because E-ink are developing a new 5" screen doesn't necessarily mean that Kobo will be interested in buying it, especially if it is true the Mini hasn't been a great seller for them.

As to whether or not to buy another one if it is being discontinued, sure why not - if you need it. If you can find any stock, at £30 it seems like a bit of a no-brainer. I am sorely tempted to buy one as a future replacement to my Sony 350, but can't quite convince myself that is worth doing, since there's nothing wrong with my Sony!
soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 09:29 AM   #9
paola
Wizard
paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

thank you all for your answers. A lighted device is better than a non-lighted one IMHO, but I agree that for £30 a Mini is a no-brainer. Having said that, my first Mini had a problem and had to be replaced after three weeks, and this is really what concerns me if they are running out of stocks.

Yet, I am currently in Gatwick, and WHSmith here no longer stocks any ereaders, so it is not even clear I can get my hands on a Mini anyway.

Last edited by paola; 03-30-2014 at 09:32 AM.
Old 03-30-2014, 09:32 AM   #10
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
To me, the indication that the Mini might be discontinued, was incentive enough to buy a 2nd one for back up. At 167 dpi it was very dark and sharp.

But whatever company is making a high resolution (265ppi) 5" screen, I will buy their product!
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 09:47 AM   #11
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by paola View Post
Having said that, my first Mini had a problem and had to be replaced after three weeks, and this is really what concerns me if they are running out of stocks.
That's one area that Kobo customer service has been good. I've seen a number of reports of people getting a free upgrade from a Touch to a Glo when tbe Touch was getting warranty replacement and there were no Touches. Might mean you end up with a bigger reader, but you shouldn't be left in the cold.
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 10:03 AM   #12
paola
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by robko View Post
That's one area that Kobo customer service has been good. I've seen a number of reports of people getting a free upgrade from a Touch to a Glo when tbe Touch was getting warranty replacement and there were no Touches. Might mean you end up with a bigger reader, but you shouldn't be left in the cold.
ah, now for a very strategic purchase - I will search the UK high and low for a Mini
Old 03-30-2014, 10:56 AM   #13
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by booklover6 View Post
To me, the indication that the Mini might be discontinued, was incentive enough to buy a 2nd one for back up. At 167 dpi it was very dark and sharp.

But whatever company is making a high resolution (265ppi) 5" screen, I will buy their product!
The 5" E-ink screen is 200 ppi, not 167 ppi.
Old 03-30-2014, 10:57 AM   #14
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh

Quote:
Originally Posted by booklover6 View Post
Any hint that it will also have a front light?
No info, but not having a frontlight would be a dumb idea.
Old 03-30-2014, 11:27 AM   #15
2bits
Enthusiast
2bits writes the songs that make the whole world sing.2bits writes the songs that make the whole world sing.2bits writes the songs that make the whole world sing.2bits writes the songs that make the whole world sing.2bits writes the songs that make the whole world sing.2bits writes the songs that make the whole world sing.2bits writes the songs that make the whole world sing.2bits writes the songs that make the whole world sing.2bits writes the songs that make the whole world sing.2bits writes the songs that make the whole world sing.2bits writes the songs that make the whole world sing.

Device: Kobo Touch N905, Mini
Different strokes for different folks

Mini is my favourite ereader.
aka - The one I use most.

? I'm confused - a pocketable Aura ?
Aura is 14% wider (1 inch) than a Mini
(It's 1/2 inch wider than the Touch!)

Lights ...
Increased battery life and reduced recharging is guaranteed vs ... ?

In my 70 years I've used a (flash)light to read (under the covers once at age 11).

I'd buy another Mini as backup if I could find one.

(Note: Mini running firmware 3.2.0 without problems*)

* no DRM on device

Mini may make no $ for Kobo but it's the best ereader for me.

Diff Str Diff Flks
2bits is offline   Reply With Quote