Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 12-03-2007, 03:06 PM   #1
McDoof
McDoof is on a distinguished road

Device: Sony Reader PRS-500
What's the best eBook I've never heard of?

There are so many titles here at mobileread and other sources (like manybooks , for example), but I'm wondering which books the community recommends that weren't necessarily on our high school reading lists.

I understand, for example, that The Mayor of Casterbridge is a classic and is no doubt a life-changing read, but I didn't read it in 10th grade and I probably won't read it now.

Don't misunderstand me. I love to read, but I'm looking for other lesser known stuff - especially ones easily and legally downloadable as LRF's or BBEB's.

Thanks!
McDoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 05:20 PM   #2
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
What sort of books do you like?
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-03-2007, 05:47 PM   #3
McDoof

I should have known...

Ah-ha!

I guess I should have contacted you directly, Patricia! I noticed during my searches on mobileread that many of the titles I was downloading had been uploaded by you (the Sistine avatar caught my eye).

Anyway, in the original request, I didn't want to narrow the possibilities by naming genres or writers. The most important quality would be a combination of obscurity and quality (rare, I know).

Lately I've been reading mostly non-fiction sources for my dissertation and would prefer to add some fiction to the list. Really, though, I'm completely open.

What I would be least likely to find without any help from the forum, for example, are good creative commons works. You know, freely distributed stuff written recently. I have no idea what's good out there.

Any ideas?

Regardless, thanks a million for the amazing uploads. In my book, your karma's WAY over 10,000, Patricia.
Old 12-03-2007, 06:01 PM   #4
Hadrien
Feedbooks.com Co-Founder
Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.

Device: Sony PRS-t-1/350/300/500/505/600/700, Nexus S, iPad
Most Creative Commons works available are SF.

Right now I'm reading Postsingular from Rudy Rucker, but popular books like Accelerando from Charles Stross and Down and Out in the Magic Kingdom from Cory Doctorow are excellent too.

CC Science-Fiction: http://www.feedbooks.com/list/view/22
CC Fantasy: http://www.feedbooks.com/list/view/25

First book that I actually read on my Sony PRS-500 was Oblomov from Goncharov. I love russian literature, but I've already finished reading most of the classics. This was a perfect choice for me.
Hadrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 06:15 PM   #5
McDoof

Brilliant! Thanks a lot, Hadrien!

I studied Russian language in the US and really only read the greats. I've never read anything by Goncharov, though. Excellent tip.
Advert
Old 12-06-2007, 03:09 PM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
If you like detective stories, I'd recommend the 7 volumes of "Dr Thorndyke" books, by R. Austin Freeman, which I've uploaded. They are excellent stories.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007, 03:44 AM   #7
McDoof

Thanks HarryT

I never read detective stories, but that's mostly because I never buy detective books. Nice thing about ebooks, that.

I'm from the US but I live in Germany, so the English books I read are mostly the ones I order and buy on the Internet. Now with the ebook reader I can download genres I might not otherwise pay money for.

...and I loved Encyclopedia Brown when I was a kid...

Thanks for the tip HarryT. I see you in just about every forum, I think!