Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-07-2010, 09:52 AM   #1
begriff
begriff began at the beginning.

Device: (kindle)
Next Gen Kindle DX(3)?

I realize this is a speculative matter because (insofar as I can tell) Amazon has released no information about a possibly forthcoming generation of the Kindle DX. But since I can't find any other posts on it, I'm wondering whether people have any thoughts on when it might be released, or if one will be released at all.

I don't yet own a Kindle, but am trying to decide whether to buy the K3 or plunk down for the DX. Trouble is I read mostly academic journals in PDF, which seem to be far too large for the K3, and yet the DX seems to be aging quickly and doesn't even have the same generation firmware/PDF reader the K3 has. If they simply released a new DX it would make the decision far easier on my end.

I'd appreciate any insight you may have!

Thanks.
begriff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 09:57 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
What do you mean when you say "the DX seems to be aging quickly"? It has the latest generation eInk screen - in what way is it "aging"?

Amazon have already stated that the PDF firmware improvements in the K3 will be released for the DX in a firmware update at some point.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-07-2010, 10:10 AM   #3
begriff
begriff began at the beginning.

Device: (kindle)
I'm no expert but: by aging quickly I simply meant that it was released 4 months ago and, this being 2010, updates have a way of sneaking up on you. New screen or not, it features more or less the same physical interface as the original Kindle DX, which has by universal agreement been improved upon in the K3. So the graphite seemed (to me) more of a refresh than a full generation.

I'd prefer not to pay 350, only to find out that Amazon's "at some point" vis-a-vis firmware updates is just in time for a third generation DX (Christmas, say). Is all.

P.S. nice Dalek.
begriff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 10:21 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I think personally that it's extremely unlikely that a new Kindle DX will be released before next Spring at the earliest.
Old 10-07-2010, 10:27 AM   #5
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
Obsolesence

All eReadesr get obsolete VERY FAST. I purchased a Sony PRS 900 for $ 400 in December, 2009. The Kindle WiFi 3 has made that totally obsolete. I couldn't even give it away to my kids or grandkids. Hopefully, my son-in-law's mother MAY accept it for a Christmas gift.

I fully expect this Kindle WiFi 3 will be obsolete by the end of 2011 at which time color eInk will be all the rage with even more features which cannot be even imagined today.

So far I am paying more for the eReaders than the ebooks I read using them. Its well worth it for me since I am a gadget freak buying the latest and greatest of every innovation under the sun. As an example I now have three electronic bibles (including one as the Osnova 3 for the Kindle WiFi) numbering Kindle WiFi, Franklin and NowBible. All of them will be obsolete in less than 6 months in all probability.
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-07-2010, 10:44 AM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirmaru View Post
All eReadesr get obsolete VERY FAST. I purchased a Sony PRS 900 for $ 400 in December, 2009. The Kindle WiFi 3 has made that totally obsolete.
You could sell that PRS-900 today on eBay and get $250-300 for it. I speak from practical experience, having sold many eBook readers on eBay. Getting 60-75% of purchase price for an almost 2 year-old electronic device is actually pretty good, and does not, to my mind, indicate obsolescence.
Old 10-07-2010, 10:53 AM   #7
jswinden
Nameless Being

Better still, offer it on the MR Fleamarket. Why pay eBay a ridiculous amount of money. I've sold several ereaders here and usually when a day or two if they are priced right. MR already has a large number of viewers interested in ereaders.
Old 10-07-2010, 10:57 AM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
Better still, offer it on the MR Fleamarket. Why pay eBay a ridiculous amount of money.
Because I generally find that they fetch much higher prices on eBay. Eg, I saw a comment not so long ago that a PRS-600 being offered in the Fleamarket forum for US$150 was "over-priced". At the same time I was selling mine for almost $280 on eBay.
Old 10-07-2010, 11:49 AM   #9
Falcao
Banned
Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 650
I will wait for a DX until they fall below $250.
Falcao is offline   Reply With Quote