Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 06-22-2009, 01:46 AM   #1
ficbot
Wizard
ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/iOS Kindle App
Something light and frothy after two 'heavy' books?

I just finished my second book in a row that was really excellent, but a little on the 'heavy' side. The first was a historical fiction novel about a series of child murders in 12th century Cambridge. The second was a contemporary novel about a woman who was the sole survivor of a family massacre and becomes involved as an adult in investigating the crime and clearing (or not) her brother, who was blamed for it.

Both were really, really well done books and I am glad I read them. But I need something lighter now. Something much, much, much lighter. Preferably something in the free or under $5 range and available at Fictionwise or the free library here. If I had not already read all of the MaryJanice Davidson 'Undead and...' novels, something like that would be perfect. Or maybe something like vampires in space. That could be fun. Does anybody do vampire spaceship stories?

I am not a big fan of dragon/wizard type things, nor traditional space opera type stuff or anything especially smutty. But I do like a bit of quirk from time to time. I have liked Tom Holt in the past, and Douglas Adams. Pratchett is hit or miss with me, but I did enjoy Good Omens. I guess I want something really, really out there, concept-wise, where you just go 'I can't believe someone wrote a novel about that!' Honestly, if anyone has a good vampire spaceship story, that would really hit the spot. You can't tell me it would not be screamingly hilarious to have a spaceship with vampires on it. That is comedy gold.
ficbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 02:50 AM   #2
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
MJD has a series about a female mermaid named "Fred"...

Casey Daniels has a series that has what seemed to me to be the same kind of humor as MJD - it's about a woman who is a tour guide in a cemetary who, after a fall and bump on the head against a tombstone, she sees dead people who want her to solve their murders.

Candace Havens and Madeline Alt write witch series that strike me as similar humor to MJD. Mindy Klasky, too.

Have you tried Janet Evanovich's "Stephanie Plum" mysteries? The series has become same-old-same-old, but reading the first four or eight are still worth a giggle, IMO.

Jennifer Skully wrote a "screw-ball comedy" called "Sex and the Serial Killer". I really don't know if it's funny or heavy - I just couldn't get past the main concept! And she does tend to write "hot", although I don't remember if that's true in the "screwball" books she wrote for HQN.

Finally, I don't know if you read romance, as a rule, but sometimes I like to intersperse the heavier urban fantasy's with a light romance. Julia Quinn tends to be fairly light (Brighter Than the Sun?)

But if you really want silly vamps, I think Dakota Cassidy has a couple of humorous vampire stories. Probably more sex than you're looking for...but hey, MJD was originally released by Ellora's Cave, too!

Last edited by FizzyWater; 06-22-2009 at 07:07 PM.
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-22-2009, 02:57 AM   #3
Jill74
Banned
Jill74 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Jill74 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Jill74 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Jill74 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Jill74 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony Reader 505
great review ficbot!
Jill74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 03:13 AM   #4
Witchbaby
Connoisseur
Witchbaby can extract oil from cheeseWitchbaby can extract oil from cheeseWitchbaby can extract oil from cheeseWitchbaby can extract oil from cheeseWitchbaby can extract oil from cheeseWitchbaby can extract oil from cheeseWitchbaby can extract oil from cheeseWitchbaby can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle2
Christopher Pike wrote a book about vampires in space but unfortunately there isn't an available eBook for it. Season of Passage.

And it isn't actually a "light" read, emotionally. He isn't ever going to be accused of literary genius but I still like him.

I read Blue Diablo recently, and really liked it. From the product description:
Quote:
Corine Solomon is a handler?when she touches an object she instantly knows its history and its future. Using her ability, she can find the missing?which is why people never stop trying to find her. Like her ex-boyfriend Chance, who needs Corine?s gift to find someone dear to them both. But the search proves dangerous as it leads them into a strange world of demons and sorcerers, ghosts and witchcraft, zombies?and black magic...
It's $5.99 or $5.09 on FW.

Witchbaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 10:20 AM   #5
queentess
Reading is sexy
queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Witchbaby View Post
Christopher Pike wrote a book about vampires in space but unfortunately there isn't an available eBook for it. Season of Passage.

And it isn't actually a "light" read, emotionally. He isn't ever going to be accused of literary genius but I still like him.

I LOVE Season of Passage! A little surprised I'm not the only one It's one of the few pback books I kept after getting my ereader b/c it's not available in eformat (and probably never will be...).
queentess is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-22-2009, 11:25 AM   #6
toomanybooks
Addict
toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad, Ipod Touch, KIndle Fire
Colin Wilson has written a book about space vampires subtly titled The Space Vampires, http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/w/...e-vampires.htm. However they are an alternate type of vampire, they don't live on blood. I read it about 4 years ago. Its pretty good for a cheesy sci-fi novel.
toomanybooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 12:13 PM   #7
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by ficbot View Post
I just finished my second book in a row that was really excellent, but a little on the 'heavy' side. The first was a historical fiction novel about a series of child murders in 12th century Cambridge. The second was a contemporary novel about a woman who was the sole survivor of a family massacre and becomes involved as an adult in investigating the crime and clearing (or not) her brother, who was blamed for it.
Unfortunately, I don't have any recommendations, but may I ask what the title of those two books are (a FictionWise/BooksOnBoard link would be highly appreciated, too, if you have them)? They sound like my cup of tea.

Thanks!
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 12:16 PM   #8
ficbot
Wizard
ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/iOS Kindle App
Mistress of the Art of Death by Ariana Franklin
Dark Places by Gillian Flynn

Enjoy! They were both excellent.
ficbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 12:23 PM   #9
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ficbot View Post
If I had not already read all of the MaryJanice Davidson 'Undead and...' novels, something like that would be perfect.
How about the "Halflife Chronicles" by William Mark Simmons, currently:

One Foot in the Grave
Dead on my Feet
Habeas Corpses
Dead Easy

all available in DRM-free formats from webscription.net
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 12:34 PM   #10
Penforhire
Wizard
Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & iPhone 7+
You could look up Brian Lumley's "Necroscope" series. Not really comedy but rather a horror rewrite of the vampire legend along with his own take on ESP. I'd say they are frothy, as long as melodramatic horror doesn't upset you.
Penforhire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 01:41 PM   #11
Xenophon
curmudgeon
Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, (ex)nook, (ex)PRS-700, (ex)PRS-500
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
How about the "Halflife Chronicles" by William Mark Simmons, currently:

One Foot in the Grave
Dead on my Feet
Habeas Corpses
Dead Easy

all available in DRM-free formats from webscription.net
Second this suggestion. I'd like to add that the protagonist is a pretty interesting character (and often quite amusing as well). Early in the first book one of the supporting characters observes to him that "So-and-so warned me that if I looked up 'attitude' in the encyclopedia I'd find your picture" -- which observation captures quite a bit about him in one pithy thought.

Xenophon
Xenophon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 02:30 PM   #12
wayrad
Fanatic
wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HTC One M8
Well, they aren't in space, but the vampires of not-too-subtly-named Uberwald figure prominently in Pratchett's Carpe Jugulum. All very lighthearted, with episodes like the vampire paterfamilias sitting at the organ playing the Toccata For Young Women in Underwired Nightgowns...
wayrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 02:46 PM   #13
GlennD
Wizard
GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS350, iPhone, iPad
You might also enjoy "Bloodsucking Fiends" by Christopher Moore. Fictionwise only has the sequel ("You Suck") but it should be findable elsewhere.

No spaceships, but it's a comedic vampire story/romance. I'm a big fan of Moore - he's got a lot of the silliness that Douglas Adams was known for but with an actual storyline.
GlennD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 12:08 PM   #14
Penforhire
Wizard
Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & iPhone 7+
I can't believe I forgot to suggest Charlaine Harris' 'Southern Vampire' series. I've only read the first few and they are definitely light-hearted. Starts with "Dead Until Dark."
Penforhire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 04:44 PM   #15
ErwinOtten
Addict
ErwinOtten has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ErwinOtten has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ErwinOtten has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ErwinOtten has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ErwinOtten has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Cybook G3
Have you read Hal Spacejock already?

It's humor, the first one is free and the three others are very cheap.
You can search the forum for reviews, they are generally well received.

He isn't a vampire, but he sure is in space

Last edited by ErwinOtten; 06-23-2009 at 04:47 PM.
ErwinOtten is offline   Reply With Quote