Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 04-09-2009, 10:52 AM   #1
cjkarr
cjkarr began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle & PRS-505
Lightbulb Building an EPUB Spotlight importer for MacOS X

Hi. I'm the main developer of Books for Mac OS X:
I'm currently rebuilding the platform for Books 4, which will be based around EPUB documents for storing content and metadata about the items in your collection.

Recently, I began writing a Spotlight plugin for this project and I had a few questions that need clearing up before I release any public code. (Don't worry - I'll be looking for testers real soon.)

First of all, on the Mac, the system uses Universal Type Identifiers (UTIs) to keep track of the types of various files:
Is there an official UTI for EPUB documents? I searched and didn't find anything. If there isn't one, would any object to me assigning
org.idpf.epub
to EPUB documents on OS X? I ask because I'd like this plugin to be compatible with other products like Calibre and not step on anyone's toes.

Finally, the current version of the plugin indexes XHTML-based EPUB files without any problems. Are there any non-XHTML EPUB files in circulation that I should also support and test against. Is anyone doing anything with PDF-based EPUB? This probably sounds silly, but I thought that I should ask.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by cjkarr; 04-09-2009 at 10:54 AM. Reason: Added link.
cjkarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 10:54 AM   #2
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjkarr View Post
Are there any non-XHTML EPUB files in circulation that I should also support and test against. Is anyone doing anything with PDF-based EPUB? This probably sounds silly, but I thought that I should ask.

Thanks in advance!
The ePub standard is XHTML. I don't think you would/should find otherwise.

PDF is NOT ePub... so I don't understand your question.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-09-2009, 10:58 AM   #3
cjkarr

Smile PDF & EPUB

I should have been a bit clearer in my writing.

While this Spotlight plugin mainly targets EPUB documents, it's actually a more general OCF reader:
To be more precise in my question, are there any other OCF documents floating around that do not use XHTML?

Thanks for prompting the clarification.
Old 04-09-2009, 11:22 AM   #4
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Is there an official UTI for EPUB documents? I searched and didn't find anything. If there isn't one, would any object to me assigning
org.idpf.epub
to EPUB documents on OS X? I ask because I'd like this plugin to be compatible with other products like Calibre and not step on anyone's toes.
If you decide to assign your own UTI (i.e. declare the definition for export) you shouldn't use a reverse domain name that doesn't belong to you, unless you have permission. Perhaps ask the idpf if they'd mind?

I've certainly found it inconvenient that there's no standard UTI for Mobipocket files on Mac OS X. In the end, I exported one based on my own domain name from my Quick Look plugin
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 11:42 AM   #5
cjkarr

Quote:
If you decide to assign your own UTI (i.e. declare the definition for export) you shouldn't use a reverse domain name that doesn't belong to you, unless you have permission. Perhaps ask the idpf if they'd mind?
The letter is in the (electronic) mail. Thanks for the suggestion.
Advert
Old 04-09-2009, 11:52 AM   #6
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
EPUB supports DTBook markup as well as XHTML, but I'm not aware of anyone actually using DTBook
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 11:57 AM   #7
cjkarr

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
EPUB supports DTBook markup as well as XHTML, but I'm not aware of anyone actually using DTBook
Out of curiosity, have you run into this UTI issue in Calibre? I took a look at the package earlier today, but didn't see anything about it in your OS X package.
Old 04-09-2009, 11:58 AM   #8
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Quote:
Out of curiosity, have you run into this UTI issue in Calibre? I took a look at the package earlier today, but didn't see anything about it in your OS X package.
No, I haven't. Being cross platform, calibre generally keeps interaction with the OS to a minimum.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 03:54 AM   #9
setzer
Enthusiast
setzer has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.setzer has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.setzer has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Amazon Kindle2, Palm, iPhone
i donno if i really understand what ur question is about
but me is often using PDFs in some ePub-Books
e.g. for the copyright-page or for some ads in the end of a book

so... donno if it's useful to u

greetz
setzer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
epub, mac, spotlight, standards