Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 02-24-2013, 08:32 PM   #616
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4B/K ~ Nexus 7 ~ Kindle Paperwhite 1&2 ~ iPad Air
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydog View Post
Unfortunately, the change has gradually spread to all the libraries I frequent. There is only one left that displays the older UI and I suspect it will change in the near future.
My State's library has not switched over yet, but they told me that a) it's coming within the next weeks, b) they had zero choice in the matter, as it was pushed from Overdrive, and that c) they'd seen the Youtube video and it seemed like it had more graphics. That's it - that's all the exposure they've had to the redesign.
xendula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 09:32 PM   #617
Joykins
Wizard
Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle Oasis 2018, kindle 4 NT, kindle PW2, iPhone, iPad mini
the upper right hand corner thing would be cool if it didn't so often obscure the title.
Joykins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 10:25 PM   #618
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4B/K ~ Nexus 7 ~ Kindle Paperwhite 1&2 ~ iPad Air
^ ditto
xendula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 10:17 AM   #619
dandelioncottage
Abibliophobe
dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 2 64 gb, Nook Glowlight, iPad 4 (128 gb)
I'm getting a new message at Overdrive when I try to place holds (and this has happened at a couple of libraries):

We're sorry!

Some of our digital titles are only available for a limited time. This title may be available in the future. Be sure to check back.

Is this inability to place holds a temporary glitch, or a new Overdrive "feature"?
dandelioncottage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 10:25 AM   #620
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by dandelioncottage View Post
I'm getting a new message at Overdrive when I try to place holds (and this has happened at a couple of libraries):

We're sorry!

Some of our digital titles are only available for a limited time. This title may be available in the future. Be sure to check back.

Is this inability to place holds a temporary glitch, or a new Overdrive "feature"?
I got the same message this morning too. No idea what's going on.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 10:38 AM   #621
Synamon
Lunatic
Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite and Keyboard, Kobo Aura, iPad mini, iPod Touch
I got that last week on a couple of new books I tried to put a hold on. When I tried a hold this week on one of the books, it went through (I was hold 26 of 26). I assumed it was a bizarre publisher restriction on how many holds could be on a book at once.

HarperCollins only lets a book be loaned out 26 times before the library has to buy another copy, this was one of theirs, so maybe they wouldn't let any hold be processed beyond 26 unless the library bought another copy. The message should really say "Some of our titles are only available to loan 26 times, so the library needs to order another copy before more loans are allowed, please check back later.".

Last edited by Synamon; 02-26-2013 at 10:49 AM.
Synamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 10:40 AM   #622
dandelioncottage
Abibliophobe
dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Unfortunately, that's the first thing that came to my mind too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synamon View Post
I got that the other day on a couple of new books I tried to put a hold on. I wondered if Overdrive had some new option for libraries to "share" book purchases with maximum borrowing/hold restrictions or something.
Old 02-26-2013, 10:46 AM   #623
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

When it happened to me, I just went to a different library and placed my holds.
Old 02-26-2013, 10:47 AM   #624
soondai
Guru
soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite
Quote:
I got that last week on a couple of new books I tried to put a hold on. When I tried a hold this week on one of the books, it went through (I was hold 26 of 26). I assumed it was a bizarre publisher restriction on how many holds could be on a book at once. HarperCollins only lets a book be loaned out 26 times before the library has to buy another copy, this was one of theirs, so maybe they wouldn't let any hold be processed beyond 26 unless the library bought another copy.
Interesting theory, but it is happening to me on a book where I'd be the first hold.
soondai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 10:53 AM   #625
dandelioncottage
Abibliophobe

It's happened to me at more than one library. It seems like it's "Just Added" books; if I go to my Wish List, I can put a hold on a book that's been out for awhile.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
When it happened to me, I just went to a different library and placed my holds.
Old 02-26-2013, 10:55 AM   #626
Synamon
Lunatic
Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite and Keyboard, Kobo Aura, iPad mini, iPod Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by soondai View Post
Interesting theory, but it is happening to me on a book where I'd be the first hold.
One of mine is like that, says the library has 2 copies available and no one on hold. I suspect the library already used up their 26 loans on the 2 copies, meaning they have no loanable copies. Libraries and Overdrive probably need a different way of keeping track of copies for HarperCollins titles. If the library has exhausted their loans, they shouldn't show up in the library collection.

I don't see how it's in HarperCollins interest to not allow holds in advance of purchase, I'd think a bunch of holds on a particular title would encourage libraries to buy another copy.

Last edited by Synamon; 02-26-2013 at 10:58 AM.
Synamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 10:55 AM   #627
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

This happened to me using a library that had not upgraded yet. The library I had success placing the holds with, has also not upgraded yet. In both instances, I was down the list quite a bit.
Old 02-26-2013, 11:04 AM   #628
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
One of mine is like that, says the library has 2 copies available and no one on hold. I suspect the library already used up their 26 loans on the 2 copies, meaning they have no loanable copies. Libraries and Overdrive probably need a different way of keeping track of copies for HarperCollins titles. If the library has exhausted their loans, they shouldn't show up in the library collection.

I don't see how it's in HarperCollins interest to not allow holds in advance of purchase, I'd think a bunch of holds on a particular title would encourage libraries to buy another copy.
HC is the culprit. My titles were HC also.
Old 02-26-2013, 11:08 AM   #629
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
Originally Posted by dandelioncottage View Post
It's happened to me at more than one library. It seems like it's "Just Added" books; if I go to my Wish List, I can put a hold on a book that's been out for awhile.
I finally got the holds at a smaller library. This experience gives me another reason why I should keep my cards in smaller libraries.
Old 02-26-2013, 11:48 AM   #630
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:

It's not HaperCollins it's Overdrive that is responsible for this.
What they need is a notify Library to you like them to purchase more copies of this title button.

MIKE @ Overdrive please consider this or remove the title completely.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote