Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 08-13-2012, 08:07 PM   #16
Shopaholic
Cockatoo Mom!
Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, Kobo: A1, Clara, Libra 2, iPad Pro 11, iPad Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by haydnfan View Post
Isn't the T2 supposed to come out this week? And a new kindle is in the works for sure, and it is hard to come by the default, the Touch, right now. It would be better to just wait awhile for either choice.
The Sony readers have typically come out for sale end of September to mid-October not August.

It's certainly not set in stone but that's the way it's been for the last three years anyways.
Shopaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 01:09 AM   #17
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
Something to consider is that Sony Readers may not be around much longer. Sony is losing money and they may get out of the ereader business.
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 01:20 AM   #18
Bilbo1967
Not scared!
Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 10, Huawei M5 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by HansTWN View Post
Something to consider is that Sony Readers may not be around much longer. Sony is losing money and they may get out of the ereader business.
Given that the T2 is imminent, what evidence do you have for that?
Bilbo1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 01:57 AM   #19
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilbo1967 View Post
Given that the T2 is imminent, what evidence do you have for that?
Look at Sony's financial reports for the last 2 years. They are bleeding money. And yes, the T2 is imminent, but it looks like they basically didn't change anything, just the color of the bezel. They certainly didn't invest time or money to create a new product.
Old 08-14-2012, 06:55 AM   #20
haydnfan
Guru
haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 4, Oasis 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shopaholic View Post
The Sony readers have typically come out for sale end of September to mid-October not August.

It's certainly not set in stone but that's the way it's been for the last three years anyways.
I read (on the digital reader) that the announcement will be on Thursday. Since the T2 is a very minor upgrade to the T1 it might simply be available on Thursday.

@OP: You missed the point of my post. The Kindle Touch is hard to find right now. It is unavailable to buy new from amazon and the b&m stores like Best Buy and Walmart are largely out of stock.
haydnfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 07:54 AM   #21
nuggler
nuggler began at the beginning.

Device: None
Quote:
Originally Posted by haydnfan View Post
@OP: You missed the point of my post. The Kindle Touch is hard to find right now. It is unavailable to buy new from amazon and the b&m stores like Best Buy and Walmart are largely out of stock.
I believe that you missed my point.
The Kindle Touch is very well-stocked in my country.
nuggler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 10:25 AM   #22
LuvReadin
Addict
LuvReadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuvReadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuvReadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuvReadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuvReadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuvReadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuvReadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuvReadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuvReadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuvReadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuvReadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1 and Cool-ER
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuggler View Post
I believe that you missed my point.
The Kindle Touch is very well-stocked in my country.
Would have helped if your details said which country that is. You have actually been quite rude to some of the people who've tried to help you - might want to moderate your tone a bit.

Anyway, as it isn't actually clear what country you are in, another point in favour of the Sony - library borrowing doesn't work with the Kindle in many countries outside the US.
LuvReadin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 07:55 PM   #23
nuggler
nuggler began at the beginning.

Device: None
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvReadin View Post
Would have helped if your details said which country that is. You have actually been quite rude to some of the people who've tried to help you - might want to moderate your tone a bit.

Anyway, as it isn't actually clear what country you are in, another point in favour of the Sony - library borrowing doesn't work with the Kindle in many countries outside the US.
I fail to see where I've been rude - I've been very accepting and thankful of all of the help that I've received. Merely pointing out that it would have helped if said person in question had read my first post isn't rude. There's also no tone in text, so please don't read into my words and assume something that isn't there.
nuggler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 08:12 PM   #24
Synamon
Lunatic
Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite and Keyboard, Kobo Aura, iPad mini, iPod Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvReadin View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuggler View Post
I'm a long-time Amazon customer and though I know that I can reconvert and strip books purchased from Amazon, I a. am not sure of the legality of DRM-removal in my country (Australia) and b. really enjoy the ease of d/ling straight from Amazon to a device without bothering with that.
As quoted above, the first post mentioned their country. nuggler's tone has been very tolerant considering half the people responding in this thread, including you, don't seem to have bothered to read it which has resulted in a hijack speculating about release dates and new features.

As you've discovered nuggler, people have strong opinions and biases towards the reader they've chosen. You can have the best of both worlds if you like the Sony reader and the Amazon ecosystem, if you are willing to strip the DRM and use the very useful program calibre to convert and manage your ebooks. Even with a Kindle I still do that so that I have secure backups of my ebooks, it's not that much extra work. I'm sure you'll be happy with either device. Happy reading!
Synamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 09:55 PM   #25
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Baseless and total nonsense. The T2 is due out later this year and with that, Sony is still in the reader game.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 11:47 PM   #26
HansTWN
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Baseless and total nonsense. The T2 is due out later this year and with that, Sony is still in the reader game.
Well, we will all see this time next year. I don't see how they can compete with Amazon and still make money.
Old 08-15-2012, 06:27 AM   #27
Claybourne29cpi
Claybourne29cpi began at the beginning.

Device: none
i would have bought the kindle
Claybourne29cpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 06:46 AM   #28
LuvReadin
Addict
LuvReadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuvReadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuvReadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuvReadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuvReadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuvReadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuvReadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuvReadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuvReadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuvReadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuvReadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1 and Cool-ER
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synamon View Post
As quoted above, the first post mentioned their country. nuggler's tone has been very tolerant considering half the people responding in this thread, including you, don't seem to have bothered to read it
Actually, I did, but a lot of people probably wouldn't - the fact that nuggler in in Australia is buried in the middle of quite a long post. It's a lot easier for people to see if it's in the person's details.

Last edited by LuvReadin; 08-15-2012 at 06:51 AM.
LuvReadin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 12:45 PM   #29
Bilbo1967
Not scared!
Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 10, Huawei M5 10
Quote:
Look at Sony's financial reports for the last 2 years. They are bleeding money. And yes, the T2 is imminent, but it looks like they basically didn't change anything, just the color of the bezel. They certainly didn't invest time or money to create a new product.
So, baseless supposition then.
Bilbo1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 08:56 PM   #30
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Claybourne29cpi View Post
i would have bought the kindle
Doesn't do ePub and the font choices for the T1 are better.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote