Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 09-17-2011, 11:04 AM   #241
TimW
Wizard
TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KK3G, KPW1, Sony PRST1, Sony PRS350, iPod Touch 5G
Linux is fine for my use. I have no desire to tinker with the OS.

On another note, I've noticed that the Sony site in the US does not offer the Pottermore edition of the T1 (PRS-T1HBC) for pre-order. I pre-ordered a PRS-T1HBC from NewEgg on September 5th. Today, I see NewEgg is only offering the PRS-T1/RC (color red) for new pre-orders. I can only assume that pre-orders are exceeding expected stock on the white and black models...unless there is a problem with NewEgg's site.
TimW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 11:40 AM   #242
Sil_liS
Wizard
Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 903 & 360+
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
No but if you want to deploy the software (i.e. bookreader) to other devices, it is likely more efficient and economical to write to android than linux.
But they already have the linux software on the older models. It doesn't seem efficient and economical to start on android.
Sil_liS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 11:42 AM   #243
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sil_liS View Post
But they already have the linux software on the older models. It doesn't seem efficient and economical to start on android.
Android is of course based on a Linux kernel, so it may not be very much work to port an existing Linux application to Android. Perhaps someone who knows more about it could comment on that.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 01:01 PM   #244
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sil_liS View Post
I'm not limiting the discussion to Sony hardware....the Reader Store already indicated that a "generic" app will be available in December.

http://ebookstore.sony.com/androidta...let_RSwelcomes

Your favorite books now on a tablet.

- Access all your Reader Store eBooks and shop for more great reads

- Bookmark pages and highlight passages

- Adjust font size and brightness or select one- or two-page views for more
comfortable reading

- Side-load PDF or ePub 2.0 documents

- Sync your reading position, bookmarks, and highlights to Reader for Android or
Reader Daily Edition (PRS-950SC with firmware 2.0)

- Available for all other Android tablets in early December

Last edited by kennyc; 09-17-2011 at 01:03 PM.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 01:06 PM   #245
rkomar
Wizard
rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, PB 902, PRS-T1, PB 623, PB 840, PB 633
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Android is of course based on a Linux kernel, so it may not be very much work to port an existing Linux application to Android. Perhaps someone who knows more about it could comment on that.
I've dabbled in writing applications for my PocketBook 902, and I can say that the InkView SDK for E-Ink devices is rather unique. Sony may use some other software, but it too is probably written specifically for E-Ink. I don't know if you could just couple the default Android graphical display to an E-Ink device. If not, then most of those applications in the Android market would be useless on an E-Ink reader, and so would be lost any advantage to offering an Android device in the first place.
rkomar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 02:15 PM   #246
Shopaholic
Cockatoo Mom!
Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, Kobo: A1, Clara, Libra 2, iPad Pro 11, iPad Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimW View Post
On another note, I've noticed that the Sony site in the US does not offer the Pottermore edition of the T1 (PRS-T1HBC) for pre-order. I pre-ordered a PRS-T1HBC from NewEgg on September 5th. Today, I see NewEgg is only offering the PRS-T1/RC (color red) for new pre-orders. I can only assume that pre-orders are exceeding expected stock on the white and black models...unless there is a problem with NewEgg's site.

I just checked the .ca site and it's not available for pre-order there. I then went to Future Shop and Best Buy.ca. Neither have the pre-order for the Black reader with the first Harry Potter book! At first glance it appears they're sold out.

I'm really hoping that they only made a finite number available for pre-order and then there will be some available for in person purchase. How PO'd would people be who wait to get it in person only to be told they're all gone. I know I'd be!! They can't do that to the general public. It'd be such bad publicity. I don't think they're all gone. +++ fingers crossed just in case though.
Shopaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 05:53 PM   #247
Tony1988
Guru
Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs-350
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shopaholic View Post
I'm really hoping that they only made a finite number available for pre-order and then there will be some available for in person purchase. How PO'd would people be who wait to get it in person only to be told they're all gone. I know I'd be!! They can't do that to the general public. It'd be such bad publicity. I don't think they're all gone. +++ fingers crossed just in case though.

Still available at abt.

http://www.abt.com/product/56349/Sony-PRST1HBC.html
Tony1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 03:18 AM   #248
Hellmark
Wizard
Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nokia N800, PRS-505, Nook STR Glowlight, Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkomar View Post
I've dabbled in writing applications for my PocketBook 902, and I can say that the InkView SDK for E-Ink devices is rather unique. Sony may use some other software, but it too is probably written specifically for E-Ink. I don't know if you could just couple the default Android graphical display to an E-Ink device. If not, then most of those applications in the Android market would be useless on an E-Ink reader, and so would be lost any advantage to offering an Android device in the first place.
Most of those differences have to deal more with the framework used, and not so much the hardware. Going off existing Android devices with eInk (such as the Entourage Edge, nook, etc), nothing really different is needed to be done. Just when you're making for a device with eInk, you have to keep your limitations in mind (such as, don't make a bunch of animations and expect them to be smooth). Hell, I've seen an unaltered copy of the Android version of Angry Birds played on an eInk device. It worked, just wasn't that great due to the panel not being able to keep up with a fast enough refresh rate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Given the nature of Android's apps, you cannot just quickly port an app from Linux to Android. Android runs the Linux kernel, yes, but everything on top of it is very different. Android apps have to be a java app, using a certain set of APIs, and set to be used in a VM. Linux apps are typically compiled from a variety of languages, and each binary is specific to the CPU architecture that it was intended to. Android specifically went the Java and Virtual Machine route, so one package could be made and run on all android devices, regardless of what CPU they have (Gotta remember Android supports ARM, MIPS, and x86). Long story short, unless you already had it in java. It is easier to port from Android to Linux, than the other way around, since you could then hook into APIs that may be available under Linux, and compile using GCJ.
Hellmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 05:13 AM   #249
Barry98
Barry98 began at the beginning.

Device: none
Sony PRS_T1 (black) now available on pre-order at Sony stores in the UK. £129 (inc vat) but no information on release date.
There are no prices for the covers as yet.
I shall be 'phoning the Leeds store this morning for more information. I really would like to see the the black reader against the red one before placing an order.
Also no further information on the opening of the Sony ebook store in the UK
Barry
Barry98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 06:16 AM   #250
carpetmojo
Wizard
carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony- T3, PRS650, 350, T1/2/3, Paperwhite, Fire 8.9,Samsung Tab S 10.5
[QUOTE=Barry98;1746637]Sony PRS_T1 (black) now available on pre-order at Sony stores in the UK. £129 (inc vat) but no information on release date.
I shall be 'phoning the Leeds store this morning for more information. I really would like to see the the black reader against the red one before placing an order.
Barry[/QUOTE

If this is a fixed price, not just pre-order, that's a brownie point, and a large plus for Sony.

Presumably release date'll be when the Store is up and running, otherwise a key feature won't be available............

And I've lost track on rumours/known facts - no white ?
carpetmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 06:19 AM   #251
Bilbo1967
Not scared!
Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 10, Huawei M5 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry98 View Post
Sony PRS_T1 (black) now available on pre-order at Sony stores in the UK. £129 (inc vat) but no information on release date.
Barry
I can't see that on the Sony site - it still says no price information.

Do you have a link?
Bilbo1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 06:40 AM   #252
Wetdogeared
Storm Surge'n
Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: S0ny PRS-300/350/505/700/T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilbo1967 View Post
I can't see that on the Sony site - it still says no price information.

Do you have a link?
This link shows a pre-order price of £129 (inc vat) for me.

http://www.sony.co.uk/product/rd-reader-ebook/prs-t1
Wetdogeared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 06:47 AM   #253
carpetmojo
Wizard
carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony- T3, PRS650, 350, T1/2/3, Paperwhite, Fire 8.9,Samsung Tab S 10.5
Yep, me too.
Bilbo, keep following the links available, you'll find it in the end ! Usual strangely counter-intuitive site...
Look to the top tabs, lettered in black, hit "2 models available" [or summat similar].
It shows the 300 [ yes, that's 300 "currently not available" - well, well - and a black T1 . Hit on the T1
Interestingly, red colourway is also given as an option.
I'll definitely pass on that, but would like to see white in there.

Last edited by carpetmojo; 09-18-2011 at 06:50 AM.
carpetmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 06:50 AM   #254
Bilbo1967
Not scared!
Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wetdogeared View Post
This link shows a pre-order price of £129 (inc vat) for me.

http://www.sony.co.uk/product/rd-reader-ebook/prs-t1
For me, that says price information not available. Very odd.
Old 09-18-2011, 06:51 AM   #255
Bilbo1967
Not scared!

Quote:
Originally Posted by carpetmojo View Post
Yep, me too. Blibo, keep following the links available, you'll find it in the end ! Usual strangely counter-intuitive site...
Look to the top tabs, lettered in black, hit "2 models available" [or summat similar].
It shows the 300 [ yes, that's 300 "currently not available" - well, well - and a black T1 . Hit on the T1
Interestingly, red colourway is also given as an option.
I'll definitely pass on that, but would like to see white in there.
I see black, white and red as options - but price information not available.