Notices

Old 10-30-2007, 09:17 PM   #31
mrsp
Connoisseur
mrsp began at the beginning.

Device: palm T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
I think they are anticipating the demand and targeting the bigger markets without regard to onesy and twosy business at this point and they seem to be overwhelmed at the moment and not hungry to make sales.

Dale
I think this is the real reason - they have set their US price to compete with Sony while expecting the rest of the world to subsidise their marketing strategy. They havent answered my query about VAT and their explanation that others companies do the same thing suggests that they won't be answering.

Like Harry said, I have to decide if its worth the price to me and so far I would have to say that its not. Between their claim that the policy is fair, their silence on email and now the shipping delay, I am suffering from a whole lot of indignation so sitting on the fence a while longer is looking mighty comfortable again.

Whereas previously I had ruled out the Sony, now that I find I can get one for $US92 cheaper than the gen3, its worth me waiting to see some reviews and comparisons and rethinking its limitations.

And while they maintain their 'fair' pricing policy, its worth waiting to see if US resellers emerge and to see whether the Amazon Kindle eventuates and how it compares as presumably that will be sold in US dollars.

In the meantime, $US425 buys me a whole pile of paper books (as much as I despise the space they take up!)....

I guess I am a bit foolish in this day and age for expecting companies to want my business enough to extend to me a fair deal and some decent service although interestingly that is something I do get from my local booksellers.
mrsp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007, 01:13 AM   #32
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Only if the terms are the same. Warranty costs definitely impact the cost of doing business. Why limit to Euros and dollars? They could price in all know currencies I suppose. I think they are anticipating the demand and targeting the bigger markets without regard to onesy and twosy business at this point and they seem to be overwhelmed at the moment and not hungry to make sales.

Dale
If the warranty really is 2 years for people in the EU who purchase the Gen3, then it really is unfair that people in the US get shafted that 1 year.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007, 03:31 AM   #33
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Only if the terms are the same. Warranty costs definitely impact the cost of doing business. Why limit to Euros and dollars? They could price in all know currencies I suppose. I think they are anticipating the demand and targeting the bigger markets without regard to onesy and twosy business at this point and they seem to be overwhelmed at the moment and not hungry to make sales.

Dale
They're pricing in British Pounds too, by the way. £245 for the basic, £315 for the deluxe.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007, 03:32 AM   #34
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

So why can't people from the UK pay in US dollars? given the exchange rate, it would come out cheaper for the UK buyers.
Old 10-31-2007, 03:50 AM   #35
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

<shrug>

They set the rules. They've said that only people in the US can pay in US$, and that's the way it is. All we, as customers, can do is to decide whether or not to buy from them. They have a right to charge different prices to people in different countries if they wish to do so.

Ours not to reason why...
Old 10-31-2007, 03:53 AM   #36
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

I have the solution... Have someone in the US pay for the Gen3 and have it sent to someone in the UK.
Old 10-31-2007, 03:55 AM   #37
tribble
iLiad Maniac
tribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it is

Device: Bookeen Opus (i love that thing) and iPad (what an irony)
@JSWolf: You should stop whining about the pricing policies. You are in the states, so buy it for a cheaper price than we europeans do. Be happy about it.

And for everyone else. There is more to setting prices than just tax, customs and warranty. You have to consider distribution channels, support possibillities and especially - what are the users willing to pay to maximize profit.

I personally dont like paying more than the rest of the world, but it is like it is. Now i say: Shut up everyone about the pricing, and start enjoying the Gen3 CyBook. Its a nice piece of hardware and i personally think its better than the Sony. (though i havent seen the 505 yet.)

So get a good ebook and start reading.
tribble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007, 04:58 AM   #38
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
We Europeans are used to paying more than our friends over in the US. It's not fair, but that's how it is ;(

Talking about unfairness, I am going to buy a new Dell system, and I figured out that it would be around 30% cheaper if I bought it in the US (not considering shipping costs, etc.).
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007, 05:00 AM   #39
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Totally agree, Tribble. Bookeen can charge whatever they want for it - all we have to do is decide whether or not to buy it, and that's purely a personal decision for each of us to make.
Old 10-31-2007, 06:37 AM   #40
frozenpeas43
frozenpeas43 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader
Wow, we wait all that time for a European e-book seller and it's STILL cheaper to ship a Sony from the US.

I paid $259 for my 505 + maybe $30 for USPS shipping to Korea. Mark it as personal effects and bingo, a reader for less than $300 shipped.

I'm so glad I don't live in Rip off Britain (Europe?) anymore.
frozenpeas43 is offline   Reply With Quote